Ubuntu 11.10 review

Been finding other issues, can't modify software sources, it won't even let me open software sources and it won't authorize my synaptic update so the only way to update is sudo apt-get.
Too bad, I really liked the e17 interface.
Tried PClinuxOS, (KDE defaiult load), again full featured and fast but some other issues exist there that means I'm not fully satisfied, again too bad so I'm reloading Ubuntu.

Shit I reloaded Ubuntu and for some reason it decided this time to emulate molasses in winter. :mad:

Yeah something is up with this 11.10.
My list of issues with 11.10:

1) Sloooowww
2) Youtube (and apparently only youtube) videos are missing red color.
3) Update manager gui doesn't work.
4) Google Chrome is almost useless.
5) Blank DVD's do not mount (thus why I am stuck for now...have a few Gig of stuff I don't want to lose)
6) Various applications don't work anymore.

It is like 50/50...seems like a lot of folks have no issues with it...but a lot of others such as myself are.

Alright - so I had enough and installed LinuxMint next to the Ubuntu partition.
500 times faster

I've still been playing back and forth, put Mint back on it, still kinda slow so since I really liked Bodhi I did some research and am using it again though it still won't let me activate my graphics card. Even without that Bodhi is still ten times faster than Mint and 50 times faster than the current Ubuntu.

Yeah baby!! Figured out how to activate my graphics card in Bodhi! The old P4 is the fastest it's ever been and it was fast before I activated the card. I'm impressed!

Yeah baby!! Figured out how to activate my graphics card in Bodhi! The old P4 is the fastest it's ever been and it was fast before I activated the card. I'm impressed!

It is damn fast. And since it is basically a stripped-down ubuntu - you have all the options you want to easily pick and choose the 35,000 programs in the ubuntu reservoir.
On my laptop I added the ubuntu restricted codecs, Firefox, KCalc and XPDF.
It is awesome to be able to click Firefox and it is fully up within a second - two seconds.

When PeteU entered this thread - I thought about what it would be like if Windows made a stripped down OS with a software repository. Imagine having a Win7 box that requires 1/3 of the RAM and is as fast as this. I would imagine gamers would jump all over it.

In a word - slow. As in WTF is eating up the RAM?
680 MB of Ram consumed with no applications open. What is this...windows??
Opening System Monitor - 6 seconds
Opening up the Appearances panel - 4 seconds.
Launching Firefox...holy mother of God...12 seconds with another 4-5 seconds of HD grinding before it is usable.
What the hell?
I poke around the net and see similar complaints.
I only have 1GB of RAM...never needed more really. Looks like I need 2GB RAM now. :doubt:
wow.

My laptop has 4GB....:eusa_shifty:

Oh, and a 4GB boost flash drive.

OK...Now I have a new laptop with Windoze7 on it....Can't figure out how to make a boot disc so I can partition partition off this mess and get back to Ubuntu.

Any help anyone?

Beuller?

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management.

Should be pretty obvious what to do then.. shrink disk, create new partition bla bla .

and lol to the boot disc think... it aint 1990 any more :)

It is damn fast. And since it is basically a stripped-down ubuntu - you have all the options you want to easily pick and choose the 35,000 programs in the ubuntu reservoir.
On my laptop I added the ubuntu restricted codecs, Firefox, KCalc and XPDF.
It is awesome to be able to click Firefox and it is fully up within a second - two seconds.

When PeteU entered this thread - I thought about what it would be like if Windows made a stripped down OS with a software repository. Imagine having a Win7 box that requires 1/3 of the RAM and is as fast as this. I would imagine gamers would jump all over it.

Yup If Microsoft put out a bare bones, fully customizable OS, say at a quarter the price of their full systems and let people select and build from there. Even put together different packages for different general uses and have a individual app repository for people to select from.
If they did that they just might win back some of their users who migrated to open source.

OK...Now I have a new laptop with Windoze7 on it....Can't figure out how to make a boot disc so I can partition partition off this mess and get back to Ubuntu.

Any help anyone?

Beuller?

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management.

Should be pretty obvious what to do then.. shrink disk, create new partition bla bla .

and lol to the boot disc think... it aint 1990 any more :)

Shit, I can't remember the last time I made a boot disc. :lol:

Can't you repartition right from the Ubuntu install?
This laptop is dual boot. As I remember, I left 80 gigs of my 250 for the windoze partition. That was far too much since I so rarely boot to W7.

Forum List

Back