Ubuntu 11.10 review

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
In a word - slow. As in WTF is eating up the RAM?
680 MB of Ram consumed with no applications open. What is this...windows??
Opening System Monitor - 6 seconds
Opening up the Appearances panel - 4 seconds.
Launching Firefox...holy mother of God...12 seconds with another 4-5 seconds of HD grinding before it is usable.
What the hell?
I poke around the net and see similar complaints.
I only have 1GB of RAM...never needed more really. Looks like I need 2GB RAM now. :doubt:

In a word - slow. As in WTF is eating up the RAM?
680 MB of Ram consumed with no applications open. What is this...windows??
Opening System Monitor - 6 seconds
Opening up the Appearances panel - 4 seconds.
Launching Firefox...holy mother of God...12 seconds with another 4-5 seconds of HD grinding before it is usable.
What the hell?
I poke around the net and see similar complaints.
I only have 1GB of RAM...never needed more really. Looks like I need 2GB RAM now. :doubt:

Jeeze, 1GB of RAM is soooooo 1990s.......... :lol:

Never upgraded from 10.

Of course, now that my laptop is pooping out, I don't even have the option of booting it up and I don't dare try reloading it....Stuck with Windoze again. :lol:

Give it some cheese, that aught to block it up for a while.

Problem seems to be directed at just about any computer with a newer vid card.
To correct the problem..I simply disabled auto-detect refresh rate, and switched the texturing from best to good.
The RAM is now at 300 instead of 680.
The ubuntu forums are filled with these complaints.
You would think since 11.01 has been out for 6 months - the problem would have been corrected by now! :mad:

To correct the problem..I simply disabled auto-detect refresh rate, and switched the texturing from best to good.
You would think since 11.01 has been out for 6 months - the problem would have been corrected by now! :mad:

I'm trying out Bodhi Linux right now, definitely a learning curve if your familiar with Ubuntu or mint but very lightweight and fast and since it's built on Ubuntu you have access to the restricted formats.

I am going to have to do something because there are a ton of bugs in 11.01 - which is very unlike Canonical. For instance in Libre Office if you unmaximize the window it becomes about 2"x2" and if you try to adjust the size - it crashes.
Firefox is glitchy as well. Youtube videos are inexplicably missing Red...so everything is in shades of Blue and Green.
It will not recognize a blank DVD...also all over the ubuntu forums.
All in all - I am horribly aggravated about this - this is my main system. Finally I decided to upgrade 10.04 - and I am paying dearly for doing so.

I'm trying out Bodhi Linux right now, definitely a learning curve if your familiar with Ubuntu or mint but very lightweight and fast and since it's built on Ubuntu you have access to the restricted formats.

Hmm...interesting...a 437MB installer...well now...that automatically requires a test install!
Installing it now on a laptop.

Pretty slick...there are some old school Linux features here such as the "floating" start menu (click anywhere on the desktop and you get the same result as clicking start).
Boy is this Midori browser fast or what? Holy crap...you launch it and in less than a second the browser is up.
Love the theme manager - this is exactly what is missing in ubuntu.
All in all - I really like this "toolbox" platform where you can build it to suit yourself.
Thanks for the tip....this is a promising system.

The one thing I don't like is changing the wallpaper if you want to use a saved picture. First off it saves to your home folder, you have to open the folder and copy the picture name then open the wallpaper utility under settings, select picture, paste the name, apply then go back to the wallpaper settings, select the picture and select apply.

You know this Bodhi is great for a laptop that is primarily used as an "internet" computer.
It's blazing fast...secure....and did I mention it's fast?
I did have o install Firefox. The Midori browser is too thin. Way too many sites don't run properly on it.
I would recommend this to anyone who has a laptop where 99% of what you do with it is via a browser.
Good stuff - I owe you one Ringel

You know this Bodhi is great for a laptop that is primarily used as an "internet" computer.
I did have o install Firefox. The Midori browser is too thin. Way too many sites don't run properly on it.
I would recommend this to anyone who has a laptop where 99% of what you do with it is via a browser.

Ya don't owe me, Hugo "Douger" Chavez turned me on to that one. :lol:

Ya don't owe me, Hugo "Douger" Chavez turned me on to that one. :lol:

:clap2:

Screenshot of my Bodhi desktop.

ringel05-albums-my-pics-picture4376-shot.jpg

Last edited:
I just discovered one challenge. When I try to activate my NVIDIA graphics driver it tells me I don't have authorization. :dunno:

New Topics

Forum List

Back