Ubuntu 11.04

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Upgraded a laptop last night...this is interesting.
A lot of changes in the look and feel...as usual - the install was flawless.

Whoa...open application windows are now apart of the desktop...the desktop toolbar turns into the tollbar of whatever application is maximized.
Hmm....

Yeah, I know. I absolutely despise the new Unity desktop so I've switched over to Mint 11.

I am not caring for it myself.
Hopefully this is just a rough beginning to something else.
I can see for your average user it is easier to navigate - but for the more serious tweekers - it sucks.

Yeah, I know. I absolutely despise the new Unity desktop so I've switched over to Mint 11.

I am not caring for it myself.
Hopefully this is just a rough beginning to something else.
I can see for your average user it is easier to navigate - but for the more serious tweekers - it sucks.

Supposedly you can follow a couple of online tutorials that show you how to revert to the classic desktop but none of them worked for me.
When I replaced it with Mint I discovered the Mint was faster than Ubuntu and the video codecs are built into the install.

I've been running Natty since its beta 1, and at first I felt the same way and thought it was a pile of shit, but now I've kind of got used to it so I'm more "meh" about it.

The app bar on the left is nice, and so is the menu integration into the top bar. And I like the concept of the dash, but... it still feels just as clunky as it did in beta.

Aside from the unintuitive dash, my other main gripe about the UI is how the scroll bars aren't uniform throughout the system. On GTK apps you get the slim orange bar with the houdini handles, but with other appls like Firefox you get their standard scrollbar. It's those little things about the UI that new users are going to notice first, and I don't think it sets up a positive first impression.

This release hasn't ever felt very polished, kind of like it's been rushed out the door... I think it's been a victim of trying to cram all these changes into their six-month release cycle. But having said all that I'm still looking forward to Oneric and seeing how they move down this path. I heard they're planning on getting GNOME 3 into that release along side Unity.

Screenshot-1-2.png

I don't have a problem with Ubuntu I just can't stand Unity and the desktop layout, I couldn't find some of the stuff I use like Administration and Preferences, where the hell did they go??!!
I also like the clean desktop and I always have two bars, one on top and one on the bottom where I put every thing, that huge sidebar with the Sesame Street icons is an eyesore.

Anybody know if there's a dial-up utility for 11.0. or Mint?
:confused:
Do you mean for a modem? If so check the Ubuntu and Mint communities for the necessary drivers.
If you're talking about VoiP, Ekega and Skype are generally listed in the software manager for instant download and install.

I don't have a problem with Ubuntu I just can't stand Unity and the desktop layout, I couldn't find some of the stuff I use like Administration and Preferences, where the hell did they go??!!
I also like the clean desktop and I always have two bars, one on top and one on the bottom where I put every thing, that huge sidebar with the Sesame Street icons is an eyesore.

EXACTLY!
Where the hell is the Preferences/Administration at???
That is the single greatest thing about how Ubuntu organized so many things right at your finger tips.

You guys sure Microsoft didn't design this thing?

Yeah, I think Mint is a better distro overall. I've been running it on one of my computers for quite a while. After trying out Ubuntu 11.04 and the Unity desktop for a few weeks on what is normally my Ubuntu computer, I installed Mint 11 on that one as well.

Yeah, I think Mint is a better distro overall. I've been running it on one of my computers for quite a while. After trying out Ubuntu 11.04 and the Unity desktop for a few weeks on what is normally my Ubuntu computer, I installed Mint 11 on that one as well.

I've bounced back and forth. Ubuntu was my first Linux disto then I eventually tried Mint 8 and liked it until ubuntu 10 came out and I switched back. Who knows, when Ubuntu 12 comes out maybe I'll switch over again, of course that depends on whether I can get the standard desktop and not Unity.

Ringel wrote: Ubuntu was my first Linux disto then I eventually tried Mint 8 and liked it until ubuntu 10 came out and I switched back.

Yea, 10 was the last version with a built-in dial-up modem utility...

... wish they'd put it back in...

... still a lot of people dialin'-up with modems.
:redface:

I've used some lightweight distros with OpenBox or Fluxbox. Something about Xfce I don't like.

Forum List

Back