Uber self driving vehicle hits, kills pedestrian in Arizona

???!!WTF are you yakking about?

As Uber cars will keep killing people.
Do we arrest the owner or the car?

And if the car is found running on the wrong gas. That
car BE driving on 92 Octane. Where is was to be on 87 Octane?
Would this be called a DUO?
if it's not murder--which most car accidents are not murder/manslaughter/etc, you don't get arrested
pretty simple--common sense....you might get a ticket, but not arrested so much

If a car can drive itself, it planned the murder of the person crossing the street.
Did they give it a DUO test at the tailpipe just to know the facts? I'm sure it was driving without
a Drivers Lic. as well. Really here, I can't drive a registered car without a Lic..
not murder--sorry..not even close...if it was, the driver would be arrested
most car accidents are ----------accidents ...not murder...not manslaughter...etc
accidents ---HUGE difference ...that's why the drivers are not put in jail for 20 years for an accident
Manslaughter could be sought in this case against Uber, and the technology maker correct ?
accidents are accidents .....a regular car with a regular driver would not have seen her in time

As Uber cars will keep killing people.
Do we arrest the owner or the car?

And if the car is found running on the wrong gas. That
car BE driving on 92 Octane. Where is was to be on 87 Octane?
Would this be called a DUO?
if it's not murder--which most car accidents are not murder/manslaughter/etc, you don't get arrested

If a car can drive itself, it planned the murder of the person crossing the street.
Did they give it a DUO test at the tailpipe just to know the facts? I'm sure it was driving without
a Drivers Lic. as well. Really here, I can't drive a registered car without a Lic..
most car accidents are ----------accidents ...not murder...not manslaughter...etc
accidents ---HUGE difference ...that's why the drivers are not put in jail for 20 years for an accident
Manslaughter could be sought in this case against Uber, and the technology maker correct ?
accidents are accidents .....a regular car with a regular driver would not have seen her in time
.I heavily disagree with this, especially once I watched the video of the driver who appeared to be reading a book instead of watching the road in the test vehicle.

.I heavily disagree with this, especially once I watched the video of the driver who appeared to be reading a book instead of watching the road in the test vehicle.
..40 MPH and someone just appears in front of you.....??
..I used to ride my bike in the dark everyday/night/morning...even with bright clothing and the safety lights it's hard to see bikers--in the daytime!
..I had one biker flip me off--I was in a brightly lit intersection turning left in my car and out of the ''darkness'', [ outside the lighted area ] some jackass biker comes zooming in the other lane....he flipped me off--jackass--I couldn't see him...bikes much smaller than cars/he didn't have any lights/ bike lights much smaller than car lights/no one expects bikes in car lanes/
...I used to bike everyday and I stayed off the roads or used roads with not much traffic at all

..40 MPH and someone just appears in front of you.....??
..I used to ride my bike in the dark everyday/night/morning...even with bright clothing and the safety lights it's hard to see bikers--in the daytime!
..I had one biker flip me off--I was in a brightly lit intersection turning left in my car and out of the ''darkness'', [ outside the lighted area ] some jackass biker comes zooming in the other lane....he flipped me off--jackass--I couldn't see him...bikes much smaller than cars/he didn't have any lights/ bike lights much smaller than car lights/no one expects bikes in car lanes/
...I used to bike everyday and I stayed off the roads or used roads with not much traffic at all

She was driving in Tempe. I haven't seen the video, but I HAVE driven in Tempe, home of ASU. Yes, they really do just step out into the middle of the street with no regard for whether there are vehicles coming. All the damned time. I observed a gentleman once who was crossing the street . . . across the middle of the intersection, to the corner diagonally opposite him. So I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find out that someone "just appeared in front of" her.

Video shows that accident was unavoidable. And the woman was jaywalking. She broke the law, she paid the ultimate price.

Tempe police chief: Fatal Uber crash likely 'unavoidable' for any kind of driver

It really doesn't matter that you disagree beagle, the police chief's opinion kinda overrules yours.
Matters not about what the woman was doing, it still doesn't negate the fact that the accident could have been avoided if the vehicle would have had an undistracted, alert driver behind that wheel. People's lives are saved daily by the actions of alert drivers behind the wheel regardless of what actions the pedestrian or driver of another vehicle is doing.

The problem here is braking was never applied.
Exactly !!!!!!!!! Between that, and the video of the driver being distracted, it is an open and shut case in favor of the victims family.

Exactly !!!!!!!!! Between that, and the video of the driver being distracted, it is an open and shut case in favor of the victims family.

Actually, I think the video would make it difficult for any legal case. The woman appears to have been illegally crossing the road at night, and was only visible for a very short time before being struck. With the chief of police saying that it is unlikely a human driver would have been able to avoid the collision, the evidence seems to point to the Uber car not being culpable.

Actually, I think the video would make it difficult for any legal case. The woman appears to have been illegally crossing the road at night, and was only visible for a very short time before being struck. With the chief of police saying that it is unlikely a human driver would have been able to avoid the collision, the evidence seems to point to the Uber car not being culpable.
All things to be disputed in court if a case is brought correct ?? Both video's are damming in my opinion, but it's just my opinion.

I heavily disagree with this, especially once I watched the video of the driver who appeared to be reading a book instead of watching the road in the test vehicle.
You don't normally expect a person to appear out of nowhere crossing traffic lanes to the left of your vehicle though
Agree, but the whole question will be on reaction time, and was there enough time if the driver who was distracted could have seen the lady by a possible street light before she entered onto the roadway to cross ??

The police chief viewed the footage and ruled it unavoidable.

It's over. It's not ubers fault. It's the dead womans. She disregarded the rules of the road and is now being shoved into a pine box for it.

The police chief viewed the footage and ruled it unavoidable.

It's over. It's not ubers fault. It's the dead womans. She disregarded the rules of the road and is now being shoved into a pine box for it.
. Since when was a police chief and end all to a civil suit or case after the fact ?

I don't believe the driverless technology is ready for deployment, but I also don't see how anyone or anything could have avoided that woman.
Yes, many questions to be answered and asked because our family member could be next. Hard to tell about the complete reaction time unless view the entire video.

Forum List

Back