U.S. Workers Say They Waste 2 Hours A Day

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
.........on the USMB.

--

Web, socializing with co-workers and simply "spacing out" among the top time-wasting activities, according to a survey released on Monday.

Most U.S. companies assume about an hour of wasted time, but workers admit to actually frittering away more than twice as much time at a cost of $759 billion in annual paid salary that results in no apparent productivity, an online survey conducted by America Online and Salary.com showed.

Wasted time did not include the standard lunch hour.

Of 10,044 employee respondents, 33 percent said they engaged in time-wasting activities because they didn't have enough work to do. Nearly a quarter of those surveyed said they squandered their work hours because they were underpaid.

Men and women wasted an equal amount of time at work, but older workers were significantly more attentive than younger workers, the survey showed. Workers over 55 years old wasted an average of just 30 minutes a day, according to the survey.

Bill Coleman, senior vice president at Salary.com, said some time-wasting activities -- such as personal use of the Internet -- can be positive, resulting in new business ideas or a happier work environment.

"There is such a thing as creative waste," said Coleman. "Not all wasted time is bad."

http://reuters.myway.com/article/20...607_RTRIDST_0_NEWS-LIFE-WORKERS-WASTE-DC.html

A lot of companies monitor their employees use of computers during work hours. The courts have ruled that it is legal.

I know I"m guilty of web surfing and socializing at work! Hell, I even search for new jobs while Im there. There are some days where I have spent the entire day on the internet simply because my employer doesnt give me enough work to do....that and they dont pay me enough to put in alot of effort.

I wonder if any of the ones they polled were nuclear workers. I've see some hands stay and draw a check for months playing cards without picking up a tool. It was through no fault of their own though. It was just nature of the beast. Nuclear power houses are so safety minded that sometimes it takes days on end just to get a permit to do a job that don't last an hour. But the men doing the work must be ready when the permit is issued. That is to everyones advantage though, not meant to be derogatory.

Forum List

Back