U.S. women's soccer team stuns Brazil

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
An hour after the game, Abby Wambach was still at a loss for words.

Amazing. Riveting. Dramatic.

Take your pick, any one of them will do.

The Americans are into the semifinals after one of the most thrilling games in the history of the World Cup -- men's or women's -- beating Brazil 5-3 on penalty kicks after a 2-2 tie. Wambach tied it with a magnificent, leaping header in the 122nd minute, and goalkeeper Hope Solo denied the Brazilians again.

"I'm at a loss and I literally cannot believe what just happened," Wambach said. "But we've got two games left."

For Brazil, it is yet another disappointment at a major tournament. And this one is sure to sting more than any others because Marta had it won for the Brazilians on Sunday, scoring her second goal of the game in the second minute of overtime for the 2-1 lead that would have sent the Americans to their earliest exit ever. But Erika stalled when she went down on a tackle, and the delay added three minutes of stoppage time to the game.

That was all the time Wambach and the Americans needed, after pushing themselves to limit while playing a woman short from the 66th minute on.

Two minutes into stoppage time, Megan Rapinoe sent a blast of a cross from the left side that Andreia didn't come close to getting her hands on. Wambach, one of the best players in the world in the air, made contact and with one furious whip of her head, buried it in the near side of the net.

Wambach let out a primal scream and slid into the corner, pumping her fists and being quickly mobbed by teammates. It was the latest goal in World Cup history.

"Not for one second," Wambach said when asked if she ever felt the Americans were beat. "I kept saying, all it takes is one chance. I kept holding up one finger to the girls."

Report: Brazil v United States - Women's World Cup - ESPN Soccernet

The great thing about that play was that Abby called for the ball, and Megan put it right on her head.

Go girls!

Did they take their shirts off when they won?

Eventually.

I read on another site that the audience started out pro Brazil, but the Brazil team played kind of dirty and the officials were even worse, so at the end the crowd was cheering for the American instead.

i read where alex didnt have a good experience on a youth team and played for a lesser caliber club Cypress Elite. Does anyone know what club team she played on before Cypress. Was it the Slammers, Blues? etc

9 out of 10 female soccer players are butches...

Nothing wrong with this as far as I'm concerned.

Eventually.

I read on another site that the audience started out pro Brazil, but the Brazil team played kind of dirty and the officials were even worse, so at the end the crowd was cheering for the American instead.

Marta acted like a petulant child. She complained about every call. I thought I was watching Kobe.

Then at the end Brazil started faking injuries to take up time, it was ridiculous. Because of the fake injuries, the refs added 3 minutes of stoppage time, and Abby scored during the stoppage time to tie the game with 1 minute left.

It was a bolt out of the blue.

I never watch soccer, but I watched this and it was one of the best sporting events of ever watched. It makes me wonder about the popularity of soccer in the U.S. It can obviously be very exciting, but I also how frustrating a sport to watch. What other sport is there such a political element. If the same calls that had gone against Brazil in that game, the ref may not have gotten out of there alive. After watching Brazil's Erika, it's obvious there is a huge difference between sportsmanship and gamesmanship. It's duelly frustrating that a lot of the 'arbitrianess' of the game could be eliminated with simple rule changes. This running time crap resulting in arbitrary extra time is ridiculous. Why can't they blow a whistle like every other sport with a clock does?

I never watch soccer, but I watched this and it was one of the best sporting events of ever watched. It makes me wonder about the popularity of soccer in the U.S. It can obviously be very exciting, but I also how frustrating a sport to watch. What other sport is there such a political element. If the same calls that had gone against Brazil in that game, the ref may not have gotten out of there alive. After watching Brazil's Erika, it's obvious there is a huge difference between sportsmanship and gamesmanship. It's duelly frustrating that a lot of the 'arbitrianess' of the game could be eliminated with simple rule changes. This running time crap resulting in arbitrary extra time is ridiculous. Why can't they blow a whistle like every other sport with a clock does?

I love the U.S. women's soccer team because the represent the best of America.

They are not spoiled millionaires like the NFL, the NBA, and MLB.

Forum List

Back