U.S. Warships Approved in Hong Kong

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: November 22, 2007
Filed at 2:56 a.m. ET

HONG KONG (AP) -- China's Foreign Ministry gave approval for U.S. Navy ships to spend Thursday's Thanksgiving holiday in Hong Kong, hours after the warships were turned away.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Liu Jianchao said Beijing was allowing the aircraft carrier USS Kitty Hawk and the other ships in its strike group to enter Hong Kong on humanitarian grounds.

"We have decided to allow the Kitty Hawk strike group to stay in Hong Kong during Thanksgiving, and it is a decision out of humanitarian consideration only," Liu told reporters at a regular media briefing. "China has informed the U.S. of this."

Earlier Thursday, the Kitty Hawk and its five support vessels left waters off Hong Kong after being refused entry.

Asked repeatedly about the apparent reversal, Liu declined to comment. China has in the past barred U.S. Navy ships from Hong Kong in fits of pique over disputes in relations. In recent weeks, ties have been strained over disputes on trade and Iran's nuclear program as well as Congress's awarding a medal to the Dalai Lama, whom China's communist government considers an enemy.

cont ... http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/wor...e673158b0f0515&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

What a "treat." Hong Kong is a hole. I'd as soon stay aboard ship.

It's too bad that the British "lease" for Hong Kong ever expired. I have spent a lot of time in HK and have friends there. It is a fascinating and modern city. It has problems like all huge cites. Almost everyone speaks English. Victoria Peak offers the most spectacular city skyline view I have ever seen.

It's too bad that the British "lease" for Hong Kong ever expired. I have spent a lot of time in HK and have friends there. It is a fascinating and modern city. It has problems like all huge cites. Almost everyone speaks English. Victoria Peak offers the most spectacular city skyline view I have ever seen.

The lease expiring meant little because the Chinese recognized the cash cow that it was.

However, I found it to be one of the least favorite ports I've ever been too. That's only because Jebel Ali and Abu Dabi suck bigtime.

I like Hong Kong too, only been there twice for a few days on the way to North America but I found the people very friendly and loved the buzz of the city and the mix of ancient and modern culture. The new slogans all over the place were good fun too. The People's Army barracks was an eye-opener.

Hong Kong was a lot better than Singapore, Chinhae or Pusan, IMHO.... but not as nice as Bangkok or Pattaya or SUBIC!!!!

Bangkok was good, I particularly liked the cheap Singha beer and the great tucker. Jeez bloody humid though.
Amazingly humid. The atmosphere was like a wall of wet heat as I walked off the plane. Bangkok certainly was interesting, but I thought the city was chaotic and dirty. The rusted skeletal unfinished skyscrapers that are artifacts of the late 90s financial crash reminded me of a post apocalyptic movie.

Amazingly humid. The atmosphere was like a wall of wet heat as I walked off the plane. Bangkok certainly was interesting, but I thought the city was chaotic and dirty. The rusted skeletal unfinished skyscrapers that are artifacts of the late 90s financial crash reminded me of a post apocalyptic movie.

The movie that I thought of - Bladerunner - strangely enough. Definitely chaotic but the people there were really laid back - except at the Muay Thai! Whoa do they let go then :lol:

I have to say I preferred Chiang Mai, it was a bit cooler up there too. Thai people are very nice folks though, all over the country.

Hong Kong was a lot better than Singapore, Chinhae or Pusan, IMHO.... but not as nice as Bangkok or Pattaya or SUBIC!!!!

Geez MM .... the Mojave Desert is better than Pusan.:lol:

I didn't care much for Singapore either. Went into Singapore only once. Thereafter never went much past the Terror Club.

Phuket and Bali were my two favorite ports. I think. Memory's kind of hazy on that for some reason.:eusa_angel:

Geez MM .... the Mojave Desert is better than Pusan.:lol:

I didn't care much for Singapore either. Went into Singapore only once. Thereafter never went much past the Terror Club.

Phuket and Bali were my two favorite ports. I think. Memory's kind of hazy on that for some reason.:eusa_angel:

Pusan is like Vegas compared to Chinhae. If you've never been to Chinhae, say a prayer of thanks.

Pusan is like Vegas compared to Chinhae. If you've never been to Chinhae, say a prayer of thanks.

Nope. Was in Korea for Team Spirit. Got to Pusan once. Rest of 30+ days was spent trying to find a single square inch of Korea that was not below zero.

Not on my list of prospective places to live.:lol:

Nope. Was in Korea for Team Spirit. Got to Pusan once. Rest of 30+ days was spent trying to find a single square inch of Korea that was not below zero.

Not on my list of prospective places to live.:lol:
I agree.

mexico... that tops MY list!

Get a few. Let's just say quality control is not all it's supposed to be. You could drink 3 bottles and not get a buzz and the 4th knock you flat on your ass.:lol:

Ah, that explains one of my afternoons in Bangkok anyway :badgrin:

I must share this though. I went to a restaurant highly recommended to me by a friend who had been there before. We turned up and got a table fairly late in the afernoon and at the next table were two Thai blokes slumped over the table, a couple of empty cognac bottles sitting there and no-one turned a hair :badgrin:

I was in Hong Kong in 96, right before it went back to the Chinese in 97. It was nice to see but man it was crowded, not to mention the humidity. Lantau Island was pretty nice. Flying in to Hong Kong was an adventure. I could have sworn that we flew in between two skyscrapers and immediately upon touchdown it was headfirst into the next seat as the pilot slammed on the brakes. I haven't been since they opened their new airport but I heard it was nice and had a little bit more room to land.

I was in Hong Kong in 96, right before it went back to the Chinese in 97. It was nice to see but man it was crowded, not to mention the humidity. Lantau Island was pretty nice. Flying in to Hong Kong was an adventure. I could have sworn that we flew in between two skyscrapers and immediately upon touchdown it was headfirst into the next seat as the pilot slammed on the brakes. I haven't been since they opened their new airport but I heard it was nice and had a little bit more room to land.

You "flew" in? Bad form, dude.:lol:

Forum List

Back