U.S. Warplanes Renew Bombing of Iraq Targets

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by jimnyc, Nov 9, 2003.

1. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Let's see how the insurgents do as 500lb bombs drop around them. It's a shame it has to come to this, but I don't see any alternatives at this point.

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - U.S. warplanes bombed targets in Iraq on Sunday in air strikes that resumed last week for the first time in more than six months after the shooting down of three U.S. helicopters.

The renewed air strikes came as Iraq's interim foreign minister promised that local leaders would meet a December deadline for setting out a path toward self-rule.

The pledge by Hoshiyar Zebari came amid frustration expressed by occupation officials that Iraqi politicians have not moved more quickly to draw up plans for taking over power.

In the new air strikes, F-16 fighter-bombers dropped three 500-pound bombs near the flashpoint town of Falluja, in the area west of Baghdad where 16 American soldiers were killed when a U.S. Chinook helicopter was downed a week ago.

The air strikes early on Sunday followed attacks on U.S. troops, a U.S. military source said. He had no precise details.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=564&e=1&u=/nm/20031109/ts_nm/iraq_dc_130

2. rtm

rtm Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    are we winning yet

3. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Son, you've apparently lost a long time ago. My condolences.

4. SLClemens

SLClemens Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    In some senses, most assuredly - just like the American military won every major combat opperation it fought in Vietnam, and just like the Soviets won every battle they fought in Afghanistan.

5. SLClemens

SLClemens Guest

Ratings:
    +0
  6. spillmind

spillmind Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    mark twain must be turning in his grave.

how on earth is this gaurdian story 'left-wing'??

it's probably because there isn't a positive spin on it?

ignore present reality all you want, but the region will never be stable, people will keep dying, and this whole democracy pipe dream fluke is getting pretty tough to think of as a possible reality.

how do you people pull optimism out of news like this? please divulge the secret!

7. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Strategically speaking, being on the offensive wins wars. They need to take a stronghold of Iraq and not sit back and react to attacks. From a military perspective, this change in attitude gives me some optimism.

How do you pull negativity out of everything the US does? No need to divulge the secret, I've seen the effect of drugs on the human brain. :)

8. spillmind

spillmind Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    jim, i was hoping you could do better than a low brow wanna be drug insult. it wasn't even origininal. yet another demonstration of a weak defense, and diversion tactics :(

how many times have i stated i love my country and and very fortunate for the opportunities provided attributed from american serving global capitalism? i love my country, but i am not blind to the sometimes devastating ramifications.

so sue me for keeping my good luck in prespective.

:rolleyes: oh please! you've been unwavering cheerleader #1 this whole time! you never even mentioned this type of response, yet you hopped on that bandwagon faster than bush can build up his re-selection war chest!

...if these strikes don't hit 'guerrillas' but instead only (inadvertantly) kill more civilians, and the attacks continue, or even increase, then what?

our leadership is dropping the ball, and i expect your duty as a good american- to call a spade a spade

9. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    That's all you can do, is "hope". Not much else left for you. :rolleyes:

Not sure, wasn't keeping count. Glad to hear something positive from you, even though it's centered on what you can get out of the country.

Why should I have had a change previously in my optimism when this is the first time they've went from "reaction mode" to "offensive mode"? I've said all along that they should bomb the scumbags committing the acts, it's only natural for me to see optimism when they start doing so.

I think there is a high probability that many insurgents will be taken down in the upcoming weeks. Should attacks continue or increase, the US should not waver and continue on their mission.

10. SLClemens

SLClemens Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Well of course! Where does it refer to the people dropping the bombs from afar as "brave men and women?" Where are the long quotations with no context or commentary from Whitehouse officials? Where is repeated mention of "coalition forces?" Where is mention "Saddamite / Baathist remnants / dead-enders / no-hopers / terrorists"? I mean really, you'd think that shooting down a clear military target of an occupying army while killing no civilians wasn't even terrorism, from this bunch of lefties of teh Guardian's Old Labour remnants.

What's next? A satirical "War Prayer"?