U.S. troops fight on despite end to combat in Iraq

Yurt

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2004
Hot air ballon

BAGHDAD (Reuters) – Since President Barack Obama declared an end to combat operations in Iraq, U.S. troops have waged a gun battle with a suicide squad in Baghdad, dropped bombs on armed militants in Baquba and assisted Iraqi soldiers in a raid in Falluja.

U.S. troops fight on despite end to combat in Iraq - Yahoo! News

how embarrassing for the obama bots that ardently sought to defend obama's claim that it was the end of combat operations and that there are no more combat troops in iraq....

Hahahahaha, "Operation New Dawn." Yeah, right.

I don't understand how he doesn't get it. Just take 'em all out Barak. What are you trying to accomplish? I mean, if there was a clear, popular will in the United States, or if the appropriate measures had been taken back in the "good years" before the economic crisis, then maybe there'd be a chance. But it's a lost cause now. He should've just made some weak "victory" speech and pulled out immediately, washing his hands like Pilate from it. It's been what now, 6 months after elections with still no functioning government there? There's no goals and no point.

Same goes for Afghanistan. If there's no "do-or-die" will to literally rebuild the country, spending a trillion dollars on it, sending 200,000 more troops, then what's the point? It's not going to work.

There's more pressing problems in this neighborhood anyway.

what the hell? Jokey assured us that there were no longer any combat troops in Iraq.. I'm confused.

what the hell? Jokey assured us that there were no longer any combat troops in Iraq.. I'm confused.

no kidding...where are all obama's defenders proclaiming that combat ops have ended and combat troops are home?

:eusa_whistle:

its satisfying being right so often

:eusa_angel:

BAGHDAD (Reuters) – Since President Barack Obama declared an end to combat operations in Iraq, U.S. troops have waged a gun battle with a suicide squad in Baghdad, dropped bombs on armed militants in Baquba and assisted Iraqi soldiers in a raid in Falluja.

how embarrassing for the obama bots that ardently sought to defend obama's claim that it was the end of combat operations and that there are no more combat troops in iraq....

It's not about Obama.

In January 2009 there were like 150k troops and now there are 50k troops with an official agreement and plan for withdrawal. Shit happens when you're a soldier in Iraq which is why they still carry guns even though the official role is "non combat". :eusa_shhh:

It's not about Obama.

In January 2009 there were like 150k troops and now there are 50k troops with an official agreement and plan for withdrawal. Shit happens when you're a soldier in Iraq which is why they still carry guns even though the official role is "non combat". :eusa_shhh:

obama said there are no combat troops in iraq and that combat ops have ended....

do you agree with this? especially in light of this article....

There are Combat troops in Iraq and they are engaged in combat. Once again Obama lies. I can only hope that the low troop strength doesn't lead to any American soldiers deaths. All I can figure is Obama thinks the American people are stupid, and obviously some are.

I don't look at it as if it's all about Obama. The draw down is happening regardless of the politics behind the time line and the way they frame the facts. I am happy they have a plan and an agreement for withdrawal and I do not like the idea of undermining the military mission for the sake of politics.

There are Combat troops in Iraq and they are engaged in combat. Once again Obama lies. I can only hope that the low troop strength doesn't lead to any American soldiers deaths. All I can figure is Obama thinks the American people are stupid, and obviously some are.

Did you just call me stupid, Ollie? :lol:

Did you just call me stupid, Ollie? :lol:

Only if you believe that there are no US combat troops in Iraq....:lol:
But i think you know better.

It's not about Obama.

obama said there are no combat troops in iraq and that combat ops have ended....

do you agree with this? especially in light of this article....

Combat is a word...A term they use for legal purposes to define the current mission.

I mean, are you going to start a thread every time a bullet is fired in 2011...?

U.S. Forces – Iraq (USF-I) Drawdown

When President Obama took office in January 2009, there were 144,000 U.S. troops in Iraq. At his Camp Lejeune speech on February 27, 2009, President Obama announced that the United States would end its combat mission on August 31, 2010, and retain a transitional force of up to 50,000 U.S. troops to train and advise Iraqi Security Forces; conduct partnered and targeted counter-terrorism operations; and protect ongoing U.S. civilian and military efforts.

Review “Facts and Figures on Drawdown in Iraq” (HTML | PDF) for information on troops, equipment, bases, and the “big picture” in both

For more information on U.S. military engagement in Iraq: The Official Web Site | United States Forces - Iraq
U.S. Mission Facts & Figures

combat is not a legal term nor a term of art

nice try val....but you won't find it defined in the ucmj in a certain way

and i haven't made a thread everytime someone has died, stop being so dramatic, this news article clearly contradicts what obama claimed

why can't you just admit that?

Hahahahaha, "Operation New Dawn." Yeah, right.

I don't understand how he doesn't get it. Just take 'em all out Barak. What are you trying to accomplish? I mean, if there was a clear, popular will in the United States, or if the appropriate measures had been taken back in the "good years" before the economic crisis, then maybe there'd be a chance. But it's a lost cause now. He should've just made some weak "victory" speech and pulled out immediately, washing his hands like Pilate from it. It's been what now, 6 months after elections with still no functioning government there? There's no goals and no point.

Same goes for Afghanistan. If there's no "do-or-die" will to literally rebuild the country, spending a trillion dollars on it, sending 200,000 more troops, then what's the point? It's not going to work.

There's more pressing problems in this neighborhood anyway.

Do you think Obama is different from Bush on these issues? Did you think that before?

and i haven't made a thread everytime someone has died, stop being so dramatic, this news article clearly contradicts what obama claimed

I'm not convinced it contradicts anything.

Why do you think I wouldn't admit if I thought it was true??? :doubt:

so the fighting was not "combat" and those troops are not "combat" troops, rather they are fighting troops....

is that really your stance?

so the fighting was not "combat" and those troops are not "combat" troops, rather they are fighting troops....

Yes, my stance is it's not about me or MY stance.

partnered and targeted counter-terrorism operations; and protect ongoing U.S. civilian and military efforts.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with Valerie here, but it seems like we get to the point where we call things "police actions" or "conflicts" instead of war or "fighting" instead of "combat" all so we can politically dress up people getting shot.

Yes, my stance is it's not about me or MY stance.

partnered and targeted counter-terrorism operations; and protect ongoing U.S. civilian and military efforts.

?

so its not combat and they are not combat troops? i don't get what you're saying....

Forum List

Back