U.S. to leave Iraq on December 31, 2011

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- The Iraqi Cabinet on Sunday approved a security pact that would set the terms for U.S. troops in Iraq.

The agreement sets June 30, 2009, as the deadline for U.S. troops to withdraw from all Iraqi cities and towns, Iraqi government spokesman Ali al-Dabbagh said.

The date for all troops to leave Iraq will be December 31, 2011, he said.

These dates are "set and fixed" and are "not subject to the circumstances on the ground," he said.

Iraq's Cabinet approves U.S. security pact - CNN.com

The government of Iraq waited until Obama was elected to agree to this because they didn't trust Bush and the Republicans.

"Some Iraqi politicians have said it was easier to endorse the pact since the election this month of Barack Obama -- who favours withdrawal -- to replace Bush. Obama's own plan calls for all combat troops to be withdrawn by the middle of 2010."

Iraq approves troops pact with U.S. - swissinfo

Wasn't that January 1, 2000?

Shhh, don't remind me about that. :eusa_hand: THIS one is for real!

EDIT: Oh yeah, now I remember where I read it. Haha:

The Rotten Library said:
The ancient Mayans, on the other hand, defy most other religions by specifying a) that the end is very soon and b) the exact date.

In all fairness, the end wasn't all that soon back when the Mayans were alive and well and building pyramids in Central America, an era of culture and wealth which ended mysteriously around 1100 AD. The Mayans kept detailed calendars, the likes of which had never been seen in the ancient world. Their long count calendar, based roughly on a 5,000 year cycle, is a massive and highly accurate list of astronomical events and seasonal occurences such as solstices and equinoxes.

The Mayan long count calendar is a list of days in the Fourth Sun, the current cycle of the world. The calendar simply ends on Dec. 21, 2012 (the winter solstice), and the Mayans did not offer a calendar addendum to specify anything much happening after that.

A variety of modern intepreters have taken this to mean that this is pretty much the end point of time, but since the Mayan language is still largely incomprehensible to scholars, the details of the whole thing are kind of obscure. One could argue that the Mayans just figured they had enough time to get around to doing the next 5,000 year cycle, but then bear in mind you're dealing with a mentality that felt it was reasonably urgent to chart out the first 5,000 years in hourly increments. Procrastination doesn't seem to be one of their big problems.

http://www.rotten.com/library/religion/apocalypse/

Last edited:
At long last, the invasion and occupation of Iraq is starting to wind down. Maybe now, we can concentrate on the war on terrorism.

We now have a CIC who wants to root out Al Qaeda and thinks that capturing or killing Bin Laden is a top priority. We can win this battle yet.

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- The Iraqi Cabinet on Sunday approved a security pact that would set the terms for U.S. troops in Iraq.

The agreement sets June 30, 2009, as the deadline for U.S. troops to withdraw from all Iraqi cities and towns, Iraqi government spokesman Ali al-Dabbagh said.

These dates are "set and fixed" and are "not subject to the circumstances on the ground," he said.

ya..and santas coming on the 25th....

YA ..he is still coming.. but he will no longer be the ceo ..he was balled out by the government..and will follow their agenda...so this year in the interest of fairness
Santa will be delivering ..one.. standard issue .. carbon friendly gift pack to each home..

Last edited:
Santa was shot down over Iraq.

Stan, Kyle, and Jesus are going to rescue him.

At long last, the invasion and occupation of Iraq is starting to wind down. Maybe now, we can concentrate on the war on terrorism.

We now have a CIC who wants to root out Al Qaeda and thinks that capturing or killing Bin Laden is a top priority. We can win this battle yet.
um, this deal was negotiated by the CURRENT administration and the Iraqi government

If I understand this article, that's when the Iraqi think we'll be out by.

Nothing says we have to stay that long.

If I understand this article, that's when the Iraqi think we'll be out by.

Nothing says we have to stay that long.
that was what i got from the news on TV earlier tonight as well
the CNN story doesn't seem to state that
it also doesn't mean we WILL be out by then either, it could be amended to go longer

also i saw somewhere there was an inclusion of some permanent bases as well

Last edited:
YA ..he is still coming.. but he will no longer be the ceo ..he was balled out by the government..and will follow their agenda...so this year in the interest of fairness
Santa will be delivering ..one.. standard issue .. carbon friendly gift pack to each home..

Santa was balled by the government? Oh, well, the rest of us have been screwed by the government at one time or another too. He'll get over it.:lol:

Jesus Christ, it was only like three months ago that setting timetables and withdrawl dates was tantamount to treason, and the equivalent of surrendering to terrorists.

I guess Obama was right.

Jesus Christ, it was only like three months ago that setting timetables and withdrawl dates was tantamount to treason, and the equivalent of surrendering to terrorists.

I guess Obama was right.

As far as the negotiations were concerned it was. During that particular moment in the deal making, talk about deadlines would have put too much into the Shiite camp and many of the Sunni's would have stopped talking. You don't give someone your bottom line price when your trying to sell something at the moment you meet a potential buyer. There is such a thing as timing, in fact it's critical. This is why Iraq's foreign minister was upset when Obama went over there trying to cut deals. He was stepping into complicated negotiations like a bull in china shop. There are literally hundreds of different tribal parties involved.

Forum List

Back