U.S. Supremes Tee It Up Against the USGA

I love how lolberal douchebags try to change the subject by hiding behind the poor, elderly, infirm, handicapped and the chiiiilllldrrrreeennnn, in order to to divert from their overbearingly pious totalitarian proclivities.

BTW, USGA only gave Martin a one-person waiver, they didn't change their rules viz. using carts in the US Open.

Some big fucking victory. :lol:

I love how lolberal douchebags try to change the subject by hiding behind the poor, elderly, infirm, handicapped and the chiiiilllldrrrreeennnn, in order to to divert from their overbearingly pious totalitarian proclivities.

BTW, USGA only gave Martin a one-person waiver, they didn't change their rules viz. using carts in the US Open.

yeah, those grapes are probably sour.

:rofl:

I thought the subject here was Casey Martin and the Supreme Court ruling. Don't see how anyone is changing that subject.

Wow - what a RELIEF! Only a one-person waiver. Can you IMAGINE if other disabled professional golfers were to be allowed to compete on an even basis with the rest of the pro field? (Edit Note: As it turns out, they are. See my Post No. 85)

Here are a few terms I want you to look up: Compassion, Empathy, Consideration, Tolerance, Understanding, Fairness. I realize that all of these will be completely foreign to you, but look them up anyway - you might learn something.

Last edited:
The one-man waiver just goes to show how Phyrric the "victory" is....You lolberal schmucks sure have come a long way since Brown!

But as long as you're totally good with the USSC wasting its time with such trivial shit as making the rules of fucking games...:lol:

The one-man waiver just goes to show how Phyrric the "victory" is....You lolberal schmucks sure have come a long way since Brown!

But as long as you're totally good with the USSC wasting its time with such trivial shit as making the rules of fucking games...:lol:

From the linked article in the OP: "The Court ruled 7-2 that a federal disability bias law gives golfer Casey Martin, who suffers from a circulatory disorder that makes walking very painful, a legal right to travel in a golf cart between holes in competition. In other words, Martin won�t be walking — but he will still be a golfer."

That sure doesn't look like a one-man waiver to me. The ruling was handed down under "a federal disability bias law." I don't think the federal law in question mentions Casey Martin by name. As such, ANY similarly situated professional golfer would have the same right.

The reason you don't see pro golfers lining up to get their carts under this ruling, is that there aren't too many of them WITH ONLY ONE LEG.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: del

i'll add pyrrhic to the list of words you can neither spell nor define.

keep swinging, corky :thup:

What-fucking-ever.

Fact remains that the USGA granted Martin a waiver and expanded the number of qualifying spots by one, if he happened to quality, so that nobody who otherwise would've qualified got bumped from the field....No rule change was made and the ruling doesn't even affect the PGA.

Whoop-de-fucking-do!

What-fucking-ever.

Fact remains that the USGA granted Martin a waiver and expanded the number of qualifying spots by one, if he happened to quality, so that nobody who otherwise would've qwualified got bumped from the field....No rule change was made and the ruling doesn't even affect the PGA.

Whoop-de-fucking-do!

maybe you should post this another six or seven times; i'm sure it'll have more sting with repetition.

:rofl:

What-fucking-ever.

Fact remains that the USGA granted Martin a waiver and expanded the number of qualifying spots by one, if he happened to quality, so that nobody who otherwise would've qualified got bumped from the field....No rule change was made and the ruling doesn't even affect the PGA.

Whoop-de-fucking-do!

You got a link on all of this, Sunshine? Because, so far, you have been pretty much blowing smoke out of your ass.

Last edited:
I'm very pleased that 17 year old Beau Hossler gets to go back to his high school and tell everyone that he outscored Tiger Woods at the 2012 U.S.Open.....watching how Tiger faded away after days of being built up by the ratings hungry announcers, was a kick. By the way ESPN sucks!!!!! The absolute worst golf coverage ever.

Tiger might win another major but I believe that golf's greatest player ever, Jack Nicklaus, won't see his major victory record broken by that head case.

What-fucking-ever.

Whoop-de-fucking-do!

You got a link on all of this, Sunshine? Because, so far, you have been pretty much blowing smoke out of your ass.

So George, should the PGA open itself up to women golfers? Should the LPGA be open to men? How about Tennis? If someone can serve an ace almost every time but he has a bum leg and needs a special bionic leg brace, should pro tennis allow him to play?

Yeah, those right wing conservatives are a bunch of meanies!! What's next for our liberal friends? Wheelchair people playing in the NBA? Why not? they have the right!!! and we owe it to them to be accepting and compassionate!
_45018467_basketball416.jpg

Why not let amputees play professional soccer? maybe they could be the ball......??

What-fucking-ever.

Whoop-de-fucking-do!

The first link for what you seek (i.e., "USGA voluntarily granted Martin a similar waiver") could be found here: The opinion of Justice Stevens himself:
When Martin turned pro and entered petitioner's Q-School, the hard card permitted him to use a cart during his successful progress through the first two stages. He made a request, supported by detailed medical records, for permission to use a golf cart during the third stage. Petitioner refused to review those records or to waive its walking rule for the third stage. Martin therefore filed this action. A preliminary injunction entered by the District Court made it possible for him to use a cart in the final stage of the Q-School and as a competitor in the NIKE TOUR and PGA TOUR. Although not bound by the injunction, and despite its support for petitioner's position in this litigation, the USGA voluntarily granted Martin a similar waiver in events that it sponsors, including the U. S. Open.
FindLaw | Cases and Codes

The increase by one in the number of available slots? I dunno. Yet.

What-fucking-ever.

Whoop-de-fucking-do!

So George, should the PGA open itself up to women golfers?

No.

Should the LPGA be open to men?

No.

How about Tennis? If someone can serve an ace almost every time but he has a bum leg and needs a special bionic leg brace, should pro tennis allow him to play?

Yes.

BTW - ESPN ran rings around NBC in their coverage of The Open. In the Los Angeles area, the first 45 minutes of Day One of The Open was NBC's coverage of a parade held in honor of the L.A. Kings for winning the Stanley Cup. I wonder what the reaction of the public would have been if, during the first game of the Stanley Cup finals, the network ran a 45-minute coverage of a parade for some golfer who won some major tournament.

And, during the final round of The Open, Webb Simpsom made a phenominal charge to ultimately win it. Too bad that NBC didn't see fit to start showing it until he already had the charge mounted and pretty much over.

The only network that even approaches doing a good job with golf coverage is the one that usually does it every week - CBS.

What-fucking-ever.

Whoop-de-fucking-do!

The first link for what you seek (i.e., "USGA voluntarily granted Martin a similar waiver") could be found here: The opinion of Justice Stevens himself:
When Martin turned pro and entered petitioner's Q-School, the hard card permitted him to use a cart during his successful progress through the first two stages. He made a request, supported by detailed medical records, for permission to use a golf cart during the third stage. Petitioner refused to review those records or to waive its walking rule for the third stage. Martin therefore filed this action. A preliminary injunction entered by the District Court made it possible for him to use a cart in the final stage of the Q-School and as a competitor in the NIKE TOUR and PGA TOUR. Although not bound by the injunction, and despite its support for petitioner's position in this litigation, the USGA voluntarily granted Martin a similar waiver in events that it sponsors, including the U. S. Open.

The concluding text of the opinion:

"Under the ADA's basic requirement that the need of a disabled person be evaluated on an individual basis, we have no doubt that allowing Martin to use a golf cart would not fundamentally alter the nature of petitioner's tournaments. As we have discussed, the purpose of the walking rule is to subject players to fatigue, which in turn may influence the outcome of tournaments. Even if the rule does serve that purpose, it is an uncontested finding of the District Court that Martin "easily endures greater fatigue even with a cart than his able-bodied competitors do by walking." 994 F. Supp., at 1252. The purpose of the walking rule is therefore not compromised in the slightest by allowing Martin to use a cart. A modification that provides an exception to a peripheral tournament rule without impairing its purpose cannot be said to "fundamentally alter" the tournament. What it can be said to do, on the other hand, is to allow Martin the chance to qualify for and compete in the athletic events petitioner offers to those members of the public who have the skill and desire to enter. That is exactly what the ADA requires.52 As a result, Martin's request for a waiver of the walking rule should have been granted.

The ADA admittedly imposes some administrative burdens on the operators of places of public accommodation that could be avoided by strictly adhering to general rules and policies that are entirely fair with respect to the able-bodied but that may indiscriminately preclude access by qualified persons with disabilities.53 But surely, in a case of this kind, Congress intended that an entity like the PGA not only give individualized attention to the handful of requests that it might receive from talented but disabled athletes for a modification or waiver of a rule to allow them access to the competition, but also carefully weigh the purpose, as well as the letter, of the rule before determining that no accommodation would be tolerable.

The judgment of the Court of Appeals is affirmed."

Looks to me like the Court is saying that allowing someone like Casey Martin to use a cart is required udner the ADA, provided the golfer meets the requirements of the ADA.

Of course, each case must be determined on a case-by-case basis but the fundamental premise that a disabled, otherwise qualified professional golfer such as Casey Martin should be allowed to use a cart, wins out over the objections which were being put raised by the USGA.

"Under the ADA's basic requirement that the need of a disabled person be evaluated on an individual basis, we have no doubt that allowing Martin to use a golf cart would not fundamentally alter the nature of petitioner's tournaments. As we have discussed, the purpose of the walking rule is to subject players to fatigue, which in turn may influence the outcome of tournaments. Even if the rule does serve that purpose, it is an uncontested finding of the District Court that Martin "easily endures greater fatigue even with a cart than his able-bodied competitors do by walking." 994 F. Supp., at 1252. The purpose of the walking rule is therefore not compromised in the slightest by allowing Martin to use a cart. A modification that provides an exception to a peripheral tournament rule without impairing its purpose cannot be said to "fundamentally alter" the tournament. What it can be said to do, on the other hand, is to allow Martin the chance to qualify for and compete in the athletic events petitioner offers to those members of the public who have the skill and desire to enter. That is exactly what the ADA requires.52 As a result, Martin's request for a waiver of the walking rule should have been granted.

The ADA admittedly imposes some administrative burdens on the operators of places of public accommodation that could be avoided by strictly adhering to general rules and policies that are entirely fair with respect to the able-bodied but that may indiscriminately preclude access by qualified persons with disabilities.53 But surely, in a case of this kind, Congress intended that an entity like the PGA not only give individualized attention to the handful of requests that it might receive from talented but disabled athletes for a modification or waiver of a rule to allow them access to the competition, but also carefully weigh the purpose, as well as the letter, of the rule before determining that no accommodation would be tolerable.

Looks to me like the Court is saying that allowing someone like Casey Martin to use a cart is required udner the ADA, provided the golfer meets the requirements of the ADA.

Of course, each case must be determined on a case-by-case basis but the fundamental premise that a disabled, otherwise qualified professional golfer such as Casey Martin should be allowed to use a cart, wins out over the objections which were being put raised by the USGA.

You have apparently gotten me confused with someone who gives a damn about this dopey case.

:D

The first link for what you seek (i.e., "USGA voluntarily granted Martin a similar waiver") could be found here: The opinion of Justice Stevens himself: FindLaw | Cases and Codes

You have apparently gotten me confused with someone who gives a damn about this dopey case.

:D

Yeah, even though I started this thread, I am beginning to know what you mean.

Forum List

Back