U.S. Supremes Tee It Up Against the USGA

George Costanza

A Friendly Liberal
Mar 10, 2009
Los Angeles area.
Back in 2001, a disabled professional golfer named Casey Martin ran afoul of a USGA rule prohibiting him from riding in a golf cart while playing professionally in golf tournaments. USGA rules required that all professional golfers walk during rounds. Casey sued the USGA, contending that his disability required him to ride in a cart or give up professional golf. The case got all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court, which ruled 7-2 that Casey was right.

Casey is playing in the U.S. Open at The Olympic Club this week. He is riding in his cart.

Oh, you know that 7-2 ruling by the U.S. Supremes? Care to guess who the two dissenting justices were? That's right - those two, well known, compassionate conservatives, Scalia and Thomas.

The Casey Martin Case: The Supreme Court Takes Up Golf - TIME

Back in 2001, a disabled professional golfer named Casey Martin ran afoul of a USGA rule prohibiting him from riding in a golf cart while playing professionally in golf tournaments. USGA rules required that all professional golfers walk during rounds. Casey sued the USGA, contending that his disability required him to ride in a cart or give up professional golf. The case got all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court, which ruled 7-2 that Casey was right.

Casey is playing in the U.S. Open at The Olympic Club this week. He is riding in his cart.

Oh, you know that 7-2 ruling by the U.S. Supremes? Care to guess who the two dissenting justices were? That's right - those two, well known, compassionate conservatives, Scalia and Thomas.

Why not allow people in wheelchairs to play professional football? How about baseball. The only reason you would champion this decision is that it is against a predominately white and asian sport.
The Supreme Court was wrong in that decision. Read about Ben Hogan's U.S. Open story......

Ben Hogan wins U.S. Open with courageous comeback — History.com This Day in History — 6/11/1950

One of the biggest travesties of the last 50 years.

Try telling Ken Venturi that walking the course isn't a part of the game.

Washingtonpost.com: The 1964 U.S. Open

One of the biggest travesties of the last 50 years.

Try telling Ken Venturi that walking the course isn't a part of the game.

Washingtonpost.com: The 1964 U.S. Open

they changed the format the next year because venturi almost died.

but i guess that's different.

carts are allowed. whether or not you saw them is immaterial.

if you still have your panties in a twist over casey martin, you should look into getting a life.

good, I think they were right and the 7 were wrong...glad we could get that settled. :badgrin: his gimp ass should be walking.

oh, Olympic is a great course, I know it fairly well, so I will watch this year.

GO! anyone but tiger:D

They didn't change the rule that the players have to walk the course....And Venturi damn sure didn't sue the PGA or USGA over it.

so guys on the champions tour aren't playing golf?

The Champion's Tour is nothing like the PGA Tour........ it's more of a novelty tour for aging players, it's free to attend at many of the venues. It promotes the fact that golf is a game you can play your entire life. They only play three rounds too.

carts are allowed. whether or not you saw them is immaterial.

if you still have your panties in a twist over casey martin, you should look into getting a life.
Carts are used during the pro-am portion of the events....Though there could be one, I know of no senior pro who rides during the three tournament days.

It's certain that all players in PGA events walk, as that whiny little bitch Casey Martin had a special carve-out made for him, so he wouldn't cost any deserving player a tour card...Turns out that he couldn't cut it even with the buggy.

Like I said...One of the biggest USSC travesties of the last 50 years.

Unlike baseball, football, or many other sports, walking or running is not part of the skills that create a good golf player. So why not allow people that have the ability to hit the ball far and accurately to ride a cart because their legs do not function that well? Sounds to me like assholes that just like to deny other people oppertunities denigrating their betters.

They didn't change the rule that the players have to walk the course....And Venturi damn sure didn't sue the PGA or USGA over it.

The Champion's Tour is nothing like the PGA Tour........ it's more of a novelty tour for aging players, it's free to attend at many of the venues. It promotes the fact that golf is a game you can play your entire life. They only play three rounds too.

so they're not playing golf? fred couples isn't a golfer?

thanks for clearing that up; i was sure they played golf on the champions tour.

:dunno:

Unlike baseball, football, or many other sports, walking or running is not part of the skills that create a good golf player. So why not allow people that have the ability to hit the ball far and accurately to ride a cart because their legs do not function that well? Sounds to me like assholes that just like to deny other people oppertunities denigrating their betters.

hey, I got it...

27wheels-segway-articleInline.jpg

Former MLB major leaguers play in old-timer's sideshows too....It doesn't make them eligible to play in the World Series.

Like I said...Tell that to Ken Venturi.

He has no business riding in a cart, I don't give a dam what the court ruled...

Try walking 18 holes for four rounds in four days, then tell me about it...

This crap about accommodating everyone undermines integrity...

Like I said...Tell that to Ken Venturi.

Ken Venturi and Ben Hogan were are legends of the game, role models to aspire to...... Casey Martin.... not so much.

Former MLB major leaguers play in old-timer's sideshows too....It doesn't make them eligible to play in the World Series.

freddie finished tied for twelfth in the masters this year.

watson finished second in the open in '09.

i guess those don't count. :lol:

freddie finished tied for twelfth in the masters this year.

watson finished second in the open in '09.

i guess those don't count. :lol:
They have exemptions from qualifying, as past champions....And they still walked.

Even that fat tub of goo Craig Stadler managed to walk all of his tournaments.

Forum List

Back