U.S. State Department: Israel is not a tolerant society

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
U.S. State Department: Israel is not a tolerant society - Haaretz - Israel News

Israel dismally fails the requirements of a tolerant pluralistic society, according to a new report from the U.S. State Department.

Despite boasting religious freedom and protection of all holy sites, Israel falls short in tolerance toward minorities, equal treatment of ethnic groups, openness toward various streams within society, and respect for holy and other sites.

The comprehensive report, written by the State Department's Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights and Labor, says Israel discriminates against groups including Muslims, Jehova's Witnesses, Reform Jews, Christians, women and Bedouin.

The report says that the 1967 law on the protection of holy places refers to all religious groups in the country, including in Jerusalem, but "the government implements regulations only for Jewish sites. Non-Jewish holy sites do not enjoy legal protection under it because the government does not recognize them as official holy sites."

At the end of 2008, for example, all of the 137 officially recognized holy sites were Jewish. Moreover, Israel issued regulations for the identification, preservation and guarding of Jewish sites only. Many Christian and Muslim sites are said to be neglected, inaccessible or at risk of exploitation by real estate entrepreneurs and local authorities.

And the kicker:

The report makes it clear that practices that have become routine in Israel are considered unacceptable in enlightened countries and should be corrected.

Among other examples, the report notes that more than 300,000 immigrants who are not considered Jewish under rabbinical law are not allowed to marry and divorce in Israel or be buried in Jewish cemeteries.

You know, we have a word for this in the United States. Whoever can say the word I'm thinking of gets some rep.

U.S. State Department: Israel is not a tolerant society - Haaretz - Israel News

Israel dismally fails the requirements of a tolerant pluralistic society, according to a new report from the U.S. State Department.

Despite boasting religious freedom and protection of all holy sites, Israel falls short in tolerance toward minorities, equal treatment of ethnic groups, openness toward various streams within society, and respect for holy and other sites.

The comprehensive report, written by the State Department's Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights and Labor, says Israel discriminates against groups including Muslims, Jehova's Witnesses, Reform Jews, Christians, women and Bedouin.

The report says that the 1967 law on the protection of holy places refers to all religious groups in the country, including in Jerusalem, but "the government implements regulations only for Jewish sites. Non-Jewish holy sites do not enjoy legal protection under it because the government does not recognize them as official holy sites."

At the end of 2008, for example, all of the 137 officially recognized holy sites were Jewish. Moreover, Israel issued regulations for the identification, preservation and guarding of Jewish sites only. Many Christian and Muslim sites are said to be neglected, inaccessible or at risk of exploitation by real estate entrepreneurs and local authorities.

And the kicker:

The report makes it clear that practices that have become routine in Israel are considered unacceptable in enlightened countries and should be corrected.

Among other examples, the report notes that more than 300,000 immigrants who are not considered Jewish under rabbinical law are not allowed to marry and divorce in Israel or be buried in Jewish cemeteries.

You know, we have a word for this in the United States. Whoever can say the word I'm thinking of gets some rep.

I wonder if the fact that they are surrounded by enemies has anything to do with that. This report is one more indication of this administrations true intentions with regards to our closest ally in the region. Thanks for the heads up.

Those pro-arabists in the State Dept are coming up with a report to put pressure on Obama to continue its tough policy with Israel on the settlements to appease the Arabs.
What a shocker.
Only a noob like Dogshit, or a rabid Jew-Hater would believe that crap.

Those pro-arabists in the State Dept are coming up with a report to put pressure on Obama to continue its tough policy with Israel on the settlements to appease the Arabs.
What a shocker.

Link? All you're doing is projecting like a child. Give me some links that this was because of Pro-Arabists because you will get smacked down like a fly.

ahhh yes... JEWS IN ISRAEL have their racism illustrated... and it's a muslims fault!

:rofl:

hilarious.

I wonder if the fact that they are surrounded by enemies has anything to do with that. This report is one more indication of this administrations true intentions with regards to our closest ally in the region. Thanks for the heads up.

So you excuse their discrimination against the majority because of a few terrorists? :clap2:

I guess that means we can throw your ass in jail without due process while we're at it huh? For my safety of course. This was not released by the Administration, showing more that you're a fucktard.

This was a separate report released by a separate bureau.

What a shocker.

oh yea, dude! The US state dept just wants to see dead jews floating in the water!

:thup:

of COURSE it's unbelievable! JEWS ARE INFALLIBLE!

oh yea, dude! The US state dept just wants to see dead jews floating in the water!

How dare the U.S. State Department use standards to judge Israel and use such a thing like FACTS! :eek:

Using Facts is so wrong. :doubt:

How dare the U.S. State Department use standards to judge Israel and use such a thing like FACTS! :eek:

Using Facts is so wrong. :doubt:

Dude, FACTS are antisemitic. didn't you know? A jew could literally be feasting upon the corpse of a newborn infant and these bastards would chime in blaming muslims for hunger.

Dude, FACTS are antisemitic. didn't you know? A jew could literally be feasting upon the corpse of a newborn infant and these bastards would chime in blaming muslims for hunger.

By these bastards I assume you mean Ghook, Rabbi, and DavidS?

So you excuse their discrimination against the majority because of a few terrorists?

I dont buy it at all, actually. But I sure wouldn't expect a tiny country surrounded by hostility and under constant attack and threat to do things quite the same way we do.

I guess that means we can throw your ass in jail without due process while we're at it huh?
I suppose thats possible if we were in Israel, particularly if I collaborated with Hamas. However, I dont think you should use the term "we". You are so far from being a man that you cannot be expected to do anything of the sort.

For my safety of course. This was not released by the Administration, showing more that you're a fucktard.

I wonder who appointed the Secretary of State?

This was a separate report released by a separate bureau.

perhaps you should not have attributed it to the US State Department, dipshit.

Last edited:

Perhaps you should of just read the actual article instead of crying anti semite at the title:

The comprehensive report, written by the State Department's Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights and Labor

Perhaps you should of just read the actual article instead of crying anti semite at the title:

The comprehensive report, written by the State Department's Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights and Labor

What Department does the Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor fall under? Oh yeah. The state department. Not exactly a "seperate bureau", but nice try, nutless wonder.

Also- Anti-Israel and anti-semite are not the same thing. You are fucking dumb.

What Department does the Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor fall under? Oh yeah. The state department. Not exactly a "seperate bureau", but nice try, nutless wonder.

Except your problem is that you tried to say that The Administration released this. Except they didn't. This department's job is to review countries based on the same standard and judge them according to such.

So let me guess this straight. If Israel does anything wrong, ever, and someone calls them out on it, they are automatically not only Anti-Israel but anti-semite? Is that your belief?

Except your problem is that you tried to say that The Administration released this.

What branch of government does the State Department fall under? Who heads that branch?

Except they didn't. This department's job is to review countries based on the same standard and judge them according to such.

So let me guess this straight. If Israel does anything wrong, ever, and someone calls them out on it, they are automatically not only Anti-Israel but anti-semite? Is that your belief?

Again- you confuse anti-Israel and anti-semite. Learn the difference and get back with me

Again- you confuse anti-Israel and anti-semite. Learn the difference and get back with me

You refuse to answer any of my questions coward. If I criticize Israel because of this report does that make me both Anti-Israel and Anti-Semite?

Forum List

Back