U.S. Soldiers Re-Enlist in Strong Numbers

insein

Apr 10, 2004
Philadelphia, Amazing huh...
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040423/D824LUNO3.html

Apr 23, 2:24 PM (ET)

By KIMBERLY HEFLING

FORT CAMPBELL, Ky. (AP) - Despite the shrapnel wounds Staff Sgt. William Pinkley suffered during his tour in Iraq, the 26-year-old is joining other soldiers who are re-enlisting at rates that exceed the retention goals set by the Pentagon.

As of March 31 - halfway through the Army's fiscal year - 28,406 soldiers had signed on for another tour of duty, topping the six-month goal of 28,377. The Army's goal is to re-enlist 56,100 soldiers by the end of September.

Pinkley re-enlisted for three more years, citing the camaraderie and the challenge of a new assignment.

"To come out and work with you guys every day, it's a good feeling," Pinkley, 26, told his 101st Airborne Division buddies during the ceremony earlier this month. His wife, Kimberly, watched with a smile, their toddler in her arms.

"It's a very positive retention picture at this point," said Lt. Col. Franklin Childress, an Army public affairs officer. The Army had nearly a half-million active-duty soldiers.

However, Childress cautioned that factors such as an improved economy and the Pentagon's decision to keep about 20,000 troops in Iraq for longer than a year to help quell the violence could change the picture.

Some contend a poor job market and re-enlistment bonuses worth thousands of dollars are keeping soldiers in the Army. Col. Joseph Anderson, commander of the 101st's 2nd Brigade, said it is more about camaraderie, patriotism and duty.

"They've had a personally rewarding and professionally developing experience," Anderson said. "I think they've formed some bonds that are going to last a lifetime. It tends to make them want to stay."

The only Army division to not meet its goal in the six-month period was the 82nd Airborne Division, whose members have been sent to fight in Afghanistan and Iraq since the Sept. 11 attacks. The division wanted to re-enlist 1,221 soldiers, but got only 1,136.

Sounds like the Volunteer Army has anough soldiers that want to fight and more returning everyday.

Originally posted by Bullypulpit
...As to wjether or not his is just propaganda or fact.

In case you didn't notice, this story comes from the associated press and not moveon.org.

The 28,406 number was released by the military.

Originally posted by Bullypulpit
...As to wjether or not his is just propaganda or fact.

Numbers are Numbers. Its a fact that more people are reenlisting. Kinda hard to argue that when they have the numbers out there dont you think?

Theres no arguing with guys that claim we blindly follow bush. Its an ironic hypocracy that they claim Kerry is a man of his word and that the Democratic party is infallable.

Originally posted by insein
Theres no arguing with guys that claim we blindly follow bush. Its an ironic hypocracy that they claim Kerry is a man of his word and that the Democratic party is infallable.

Especially considering Kerry cant even be honest about owning an SUV despite the fact that the press has freakin pictures of him with it. I mean how hard is it to say "I own an SUV" Hello?!?

Originally posted by Avatar4321
Especially considering Kerry cant even be honest about owning an SUV despite the fact that the press has freakin pictures of him with it. I mean how hard is it to say "I own an SUV" Hello?!?

Well its going to alienate a few voters if he does own an SUV. Those things are evil. I mean anyone who owns one is evil. Now if you ride in one thats ok. Your not evil then.

Originally posted by Avatar4321

Well maybe he owns an SUV before he owned an SUV????:confused: ;)

Originally posted by MadMax
Well maybe he owns an SUV before he owned an SUV????:confused: ;)

Oh I almost forgot.....George W. Bush is the reason he owns an SUV... Honestly can this fuckpod go 1 minute without mentioning George W. Bush???????:( I have to change the channel everytime he is on my t.v cause I will yak!!! Seriously, does he have ANYTHING important to say????? Not that I can see.:confused: :(

Originally posted by MadMax
Oh I almost forgot.....George W. Bush is the reason he owns an SUV... Honestly can this fuckpod go 1 minute without mentioning George W. Bush???????:( I have to change the channel everytime he is on my t.v cause I will yak!!! Seriously, does he have ANYTHING important to say????? Not that I can see.:confused: :(

If he's smart, he should just sit at home and drink martinis all day. Because he only alienates more people whenever he speaks. the hardcore left is praying that he doesnt speak so they can spin what he doesnt say and focus the whole campaign on Bush.

Forum List

Back