U.S. Searches for Alternative to Central Asian Base

Lycurgus

Who is Obama, really...??
Nov 22, 2008
Midwest
Obama is slowly discovering why Afghanistan is not like Iraq. Slowly discovering the differences between the military options and strategies, along with the economic and social ones.

He now faces a real problem. His own problem to solve. He will have to also deal with Russia on this.

For me this is a issue worth watching to begin to measure our new president with.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/05/world/europe/05kyrgyz.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss

U.S. Searches for Alternative to Central Asian Base

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration scrambled Wednesday to come up with an alternative to a crucial United States air base in Central Asia, used to supply the growing military operation in Afghanistan, after the president of Kyrgyzstan ordered the American base in his country closed.

Actually, one day later Russia has decided to allow transport of non military goods through their territory, which will have profound positive effects of the logisitics of Nato operations there. As I doubt that Obama can/could convince Russia to do this in a day, I figure the Russian want to show "We are the Boss" in the area, without making the tasks in Afghanistan to difficult.

From the Russian point of view, any US soldier in Afganistan/Irak is nice since they are effectivly "tied up" (US soldier in lets say Georgia would be much more annoying), even better they are fighting a common foe, and, if they are "tied up" under Russia logistical mercy, it opens the possibility for some severe diplomatic power plays by Russia in the future (from "Stop Bitching about Human rights NOW" to "No, you wont Invade Iran" and most importantly "Trust me, Poland does not need a Missle shield and the Ukraine does not need Nato membership either").

A very unpleasant situation for Obama/the USA, but one he did not cause.

The only thing I dont get is why Russia did not do that earlier. Maybe the estimated that Bush would have been more likely to "quit" Afghanistan, which Obama cant, but that would be a wild speculation.

Why it might have been a good idea if US had elected someone, Dem or Rep with experience:

AFP: Kyrgyzstan base 'vital' to US-Afghan mission: White House

Kyrgyzstan base 'vital' to US-Afghan mission: White House
3 hours ago
WASHINGTON (AFP) — The White House said Thursday it would work with the government of Kyrgyzstan to "remedy" its decision to close a US air base which has been "vital" in the war in Afghanistan.

The decision by the Central Asian state could prove a problem for the administration of President Barack Obama as the base was likely set to play a key role in his plans to boost US troop numbers in the Afghan war.

"We've seen the reports and I believe we've been in consultation with leaders there," White House spokesman Robert Gibbs told reporters.

"Obviously, Kyrgyzstan has provided an important air base in Manas that has been vital to our efforts and coalition efforts in Afghanistan and we look forward to working with them to remedy that situation," Gibbs said, referring to the closure plans.

Kyrgyz President Kurmanbek Bakiyev first announced the closure of the base in Moscow, fueling speculation the decision came under pressure from Russia, which has been irritated by the US presence in ex-Soviet territory....

What Russia did here was more or less textbook Realpolitik, get significant influence for no hard price (so, the US may be slightly pissed. Yes we care lol!). They would have done that regardless of who was in office.

Given that the decision of the local parliament was "bought" by giving the country in question a 2 Billion credit, the entire matter was likely set up before Obama was inaugareted.

Forum List

Back