U.S. rescues Iranian ship held by pirates

R

rdean

A U.S. Navy team boarded the ship Thursday and detained 15 suspected Somali pirates. They had been holding the 13-member Iranian crew hostage and were using the boat as a "mother ship" for pirating operations in the Persian Gulf.

"It's what we do. And it's what we do in that part of the world. We get a distress call, as we did in the case, even though it came from an Iranian ship when the pirates went after them we respond to those calls," Panetta said. "We did what we have to do in that situation. I think it just sends an important message to the world that the United States is going to abide by international rules and international order and that's exactly what we did here."

"The Al Molai had been taken over by pirates for roughly the last 40-45 days," said Josh Schminsky, a Navy Criminal Investigative Service agent aboard the Kidd. "They were held hostage, with limited rations, and we believe were forced against their will to assist the pirates with other piracy operations."

Schminsky said the Iranian boat's captain thanked the U.S. for assistance. "He was afraid that without our help, they could have been there for months," Schminsky said in a prepared release.

The U.S. team gave the crew food, water and medical care. Nuland said the crew then returned the Iranians to their fishing vessels "and they went on their way."

navy_rescue_120105-N-ZZ999-003_620x350.jpg

That's just Obama showing the Iranians AND the Republicans how it's done. Since they seem to be on the same side and all.

A U.S. Navy team boarded the ship Thursday and detained 15 suspected Somali pirates. They had been holding the 13-member Iranian crew hostage and were using the boat as a "mother ship" for pirating operations in the Persian Gulf.

"It's what we do. And it's what we do in that part of the world. We get a distress call, as we did in the case, even though it came from an Iranian ship when the pirates went after them we respond to those calls," Panetta said. "We did what we have to do in that situation. I think it just sends an important message to the world that the United States is going to abide by international rules and international order and that's exactly what we did here."

"The Al Molai had been taken over by pirates for roughly the last 40-45 days," said Josh Schminsky, a Navy Criminal Investigative Service agent aboard the Kidd. "They were held hostage, with limited rations, and we believe were forced against their will to assist the pirates with other piracy operations."

Schminsky said the Iranian boat's captain thanked the U.S. for assistance. "He was afraid that without our help, they could have been there for months," Schminsky said in a prepared release.

The U.S. team gave the crew food, water and medical care. Nuland said the crew then returned the Iranians to their fishing vessels "and they went on their way."

That's just Obama showing the Iranians AND the Republicans how it's done. Since they seem to be on the same side and all.

Another example of Obama imperialism?

rdean, you are a gem in the rough.

Where are the Republicans saying this was because of "Bush" policies?

Obama probably didn't even know about this until it was over. The local commander authorized this action. Distressed mariners are rescued all over the world, regardless of flag, because like the spokesman said, "It's what we do."

Edit: I went back and read that Panetta said, "That's what we do." He stole that from others who actually "do" that for a living. Career bureaucrats don't do hero work.

Last edited:
How's this for a bit of irony? The last USS KIDD was originally ordered by the Shah of Iran but he fell and the four ship class was retained by the US Navy. The class of ships became known as the Ayotollah class.

Great job US Navy!

Color me shocked that deanie would add an unnecessary and puerile political bent to it, so unexpected.......... :eusa_whistle:

would you expect a dipshit like Dean not to?.....the topic could be how to fix a sprinkler head,Dean will find a way to mention Republicans......and he does not think he is obsessed with them....its normal to him to see Republicans EVERYWHERE.....even under his bed.....can you imagine having a nice dinner with someone and seeing GWB's face on the person sitting across from you.....

Hilarious. Republicans constantly call the president the most dispicable names and accuse him of the most unbelievable things, but when you turn the tables, Republicans "widdle feewings ah hert". Well here < .> is the worlds smallest fiddle playing a really, really sad song, just for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

I was going to pos rep you for posting this. Then I got to the last sentence. You are a really sick piece of moldy cheese, aren't you?

Great job US Navy!

Color me shocked that deanie would add an unnecessary and puerile political bent to it, so unexpected.......... :eusa_whistle:
It's rdean's sophomoric idol worship of a constitution/crashing kingpin who needs bolstering this minute to cover his ass for other things he is doing but shouldn't be. :rolleyes:

Great job US Navy!

It's rdean's sophomoric idol worship of a constitution/crashing kingpin who needs bolstering this minute to cover his ass for other things he is doing but shouldn't be. :rolleyes:
Nah, he just hangs his toilet paper with the roll under as opposed to over. It's the sign of an illogical mind...... :eusa_whistle:

I'm not understanding the issue here. Does the left think the multi-trillion US Navy technology should go hunting for wooden ships allegedly hijacked by local pirates without being asked to do so? The left never stops whining about the US being the police dept of the world except when a radical democrat is in the White House. Do we even have jurisdiction to use the Military to interfere with crimes allegedly committed in other countries?

Great job US Navy!

Nah, he just hangs his toilet paper with the roll under as opposed to over. It's the sign of an illogical mind...... :eusa_whistle:

Dean has ya fooled Ring.....he does not use the stuff.....a Republican once said use TP to wipe up after you shit.....to Dean this was reason enough NOT to use it....he has a big Paper Towel Budget....

Hilarious. Republicans constantly call the president the most dispicable names and accuse him of the most unbelievable things, but when you turn the tables, Republicans "widdle feewings ah hert". Well here < .> is the worlds smallest fiddle playing a really, really sad song, just for them.

you know whats hilarious Dean?.....you not remembering all the despicable names the Democrats called Bush and some of the things he was accused of .......but a Dishonest Dick would not remember something like that.....

You had no problem for 8 years under Bush when your side called him the most unbelievable things, now did you?

You had no problem for 8 years under Bush when your side called him the most unbelievable things, now did you?

Come on you guys, quit the bullshit. You know right after 9/11 Bush was the most popular president in history.

His lies and Republican lies did him in.

Republicans wanted to destroy Obama even BEFORE he was sworn in.

Go ahead turds, deny that! Ha!

Obama probably didn't even know about this until it was over. The local commander authorized this action. Distressed mariners are rescued all over the world, regardless of flag, because like the spokesman said, "It's what we do."

Edit: I went back and read that Panetta said, "That's what we do." He stole that from others who actually "do" that for a living. Career bureaucrats don't do hero work.
Leon Panetta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In 1964, he joined the United States Army as a Second Lieutenant, where he served as an officer in Army Military Intelligence.[8] There he received the Army Commendation Medal, and was discharged in 1966 as a First Lieutenant.
:eusa_hand: you prolly feel pretty silly now eh?

Leon Panetta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In 1964, he joined the United States Army as a Second Lieutenant, where he served as an officer in Army Military Intelligence.[8] There he received the Army Commendation Medal, and was discharged in 1966 as a First Lieutenant.
:eusa_hand: you prolly feel pretty silly now eh?

How does Panetta serving as a junior officer and being awarded a routine medal take away from what I said?

Panetta is a career bureaucrat. I do not feel silly. Thanks for playing.

Well you have to admitt both Ahmadinajacket and the Entire republican leadership both dont want our economy to recover if they cant benifit from it politically.

Forum List

Back