U.S paychecks shrinking

Nova78

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2011
Colorado
Shrinking American Paychecks May Doom Obama
Unemployment shrinks, but so do paychecks | Florida politics blog: The Buzz | Tampa Bay Times

Shrinking American Paychecks May Doom Obama’s Re-election Effort.
Floridians are earning less and taking more low-wage jobs than they were a year ago, with pay rates dropping more than almost anywhere in the country.

Workers saw their pretax paychecks shrink to an average of $847 per week, down $24 or 2.8 percent compared with 2011, according to a U.S. Department of Labor report released Thursday.

Florida trails only Minnesota, Nevada and Connecticut in wage decline, according to the Labor Department.

What would you do if your company cut your pay tomorrow by 5 percent? Ten percent?

At companies like Agilent Technologies, workers don't have to wonder. The firm has asked every single one of its workers — from the CEO right down to the guy on the factory floor — to take a 10 percent cut in pay. As management sees it, a 10 percent paycut beats the 100 percent paycut of being laid off.

yup,
the majority of voters will remember what happend last month, maybe even last year

yet the real history, relevant to the monetary punch behind a paycheck, that might be seen over a period of say, the last 40 yrs , will be the penchant of the minority

~S~

When obamacare kicks in expect to see many more low paying, part time , no benefit jobs,with multiple family generations living under one roof.....

...voters will remember what happend last month, maybe even last year yet the real history, relevant to the monetary punch behind a paycheck, that might be seen over a period of say, the last 40 yrs...
There are hard numbers that seem to back up your beliefs, the paycheck numbers from the BLS (same people that do the CPI) say while the past month's pay is slightly up, it's below last years and that of forty years ago:
Avg. Hrly Earnings: Productions Workers - Total private, ($ Per Hrs., SA) CPI adusted
$19.76 This month
$19.75 Last month
$19.79 Last year
$20.53 40 years ago
The thing is that this doesn't mean that the government's picking on us, it doesn't even mean we're worse off. Most people enjoy the fact that there's more to income than paychecks, and the Fed's Flow of Funds Report shows today's average real household wealth being almost twice what it was forty years ago.

I've had the good fortune to not have to look for a job in nearly a decade.
However, with my company announcing their closing a while back I've been looking and have been utterly blown away to find how much the wages being offered have decreased.
I used to hire people to drive fork lifts for $15/hour off the streets. Those jobs are now paying $9-11/hour. My welders used to get $18/hr first day on the job. Now weld jobs are posted all over for under $15.

I had an employer I've interviewed with a couple of times email me yesterday to let me know they are preparing an offer they intend to present to me next week. When asked what I expected to make I told them a couple grand less than I am currently making.
FINGERS CROSSED!!! But I'm already expecting a significant salary decrease.

Unemployment shrinks, but so do paychecks | Florida politics blog: The Buzz | Tampa Bay Times

Floridians are earning less and taking more low-wage jobs than they were a year ago, with pay rates dropping more than almost anywhere in the country.

Workers saw their pretax paychecks shrink to an average of $847 per week, down $24 or 2.8 percent compared with 2011, according to a U.S. Department of Labor report released Thursday.

Florida trails only Minnesota, Nevada and Connecticut in wage decline, according to the Labor Department.

What would you do if your company cut your pay tomorrow by 5 percent? Ten percent?

At companies like Agilent Technologies, workers don't have to wonder. The firm has asked every single one of its workers — from the CEO right down to the guy on the factory floor — to take a 10 percent cut in pay. As management sees it, a 10 percent paycut beats the 100 percent paycut of being laid off.

Paychecks shrinking? Beleive it or not that is good news as the labor force adjusts with the weak economy. However, you are right. People know about as much about economics as President Obama and he will get the bulk of the blame. From working Americans at least.

Never fear, Obama's gonna fix that "shrinking paycheck" problem with a simple Executive Order. He's mandating the size of checks be increased to 6X10 inches effective one month before the election. Oh, and promising that if he is re-anointed that he'll double the size of everybody's paycheck again.

I've had the good fortune to not have to look for a job in nearly a decade.
However, with my company announcing their closing a while back I've been looking and have been utterly blown away to find how much the wages being offered have decreased.
I used to hire people to drive fork lifts for $15/hour off the streets. Those jobs are now paying $9-11/hour. My welders used to get $18/hr first day on the job. Now weld jobs are posted all over for under $15.

I had an employer I've interviewed with a couple of times email me yesterday to let me know they are preparing an offer they intend to present to me next week. When asked what I expected to make I told them a couple grand less than I am currently making.
FINGERS CROSSED!!! But I'm already expecting a significant salary decrease.

Yea, Obama has destroyed the wage base in this Country, most who change jobs or get rehired after a job loss are in for a rude awakening when they get there paycheck...:eusa_boohoo::eusa_boohoo:

Paychecks shrinking? Beleive it or not that is good news as the labor force adjusts with the weak economy. However, you are right. People know about as much about economics as President Obama and he will get the bulk of the blame. From working Americans at least.

Yea, let me take half your paycheck away from you ,then get back to me on that great news!:eusa_whistle:

Yea, let me take half your paycheck away from you ,then get back to me on that great news!:eusa_whistle:

Never cracked open an economics book have you?

Forum List

Back