U.S. Open

CrimsonWhite

*****istrator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006
Guntucky
Tiger is nine strokes back going into the final round. I don't think he can pull it off. What surprises me the most is that Mickelson is playing so well considering everything that has gone on in his life lately.

FARMINGDALE, N.Y. -- Even a 27-hour break between shots couldn't slow down Ricky Barnes.

Never a winner on the PGA Tour, Barnes shot an even-par round of 70 Sunday and remained the leader at the U.S. Open, staying 8 under for the week and one shot ahead of Lucas Glover after 54 holes at Bethpage Black.

Glover also shot 70, and they were paired again for the final round starting later Sunday.

No champion will be crowned until Monday, thanks to a horrific weather week and two lengthy rain delays.

Phil Mickelson was in a group six shots off the lead, and Tiger Woods -- who has never won a major when trailing after 54 holes -- was tied for 15th at 1 over.

The midway leader of the sopping U.S. Open quickly extended his lead Sunday, with a 25-foot putt for eagle at the par-5 4th that pushed him to 11 under and into exclusive company. Only three players in tournament history -- Gil Morgan in 1992, Woods in 2000 and Jim Furyk in 2003 -- had ever been double digits below par.

U.S. Open: Ricky Barnes' lead falls to 1; Phil Mickelson in striking distance - ESPN

tiger has been way off the mark this week
and Barnes seemed to get every break possible
lucky bounces and such

Last edited:
lucky bounces and such

Better than normal conditions had more to do with it than luck. Greens with a speed rating of 10, 11, and 12 rather than the 14 that the field was expecting. Every shot stuck.

Barnes will fold under the pressure of the 4th round though. I see Mickelson getting aggressive and making a charge early in the front nine.

lucky bounces and such

Better than normal conditions had more to do with it than luck. Greens with a speed rating of 10, 11, and 12 rather than the 14 that the field was expecting. Every shot stuck.

Barnes will fold under the pressure of the 4th round though. I see Mickelson getting aggressive and making a charge early in the front nine.
"stuck" is the right word
LOL
balls were sinking into the ground instead of bouncing

why is it when tiger was winning it was skill...etc..now its luck....but i dont know enough about golf to even be on this thread...but why do you think tiger is doing so poorly...his knee?

sad...just plain sad....like watching paint dry....golfers....

Really, if you don't play the game, why would you want to watch it. Most golf fans are people that actually participate in the game rather than couch potatoes that watch others play, they can relate to what the players are trying to do. No one pretends that it is suppose to be entertainment for those that don't play it.

I find team sports more boring than watching paint dry, there isn't any individual accountability. Every great former team athlete that takes up golf claims it is much harder than anything they have done in their own sports. What makes it so much harder is the same thing that makes it boring to action fans, each shot gives the player plenty of time to think about the many ways they can screw it up, each shot has the pressure of a batter at the plate with the game on the line. If you can't think your way around the course over 4 days you don't have a prayer. If your swing timing is off a millisecond you also don't have a prayer.

Tiger's timing was off this week and because he is such a great player and thinker he was still able to come within 5 strokes of winning the tournament with a total of 280 strokes for the four days. The golf course they were playing, a par 70, would have the typical amateur player scoring in the hundreds. The greens are faster than a pool table with undulations making them very hard to putt on. Anyone that has played a course like that has an understanding of what it takes to play at the level these guys play at.

why is it when tiger was winning it was skill...etc..now its luck....but i dont know enough about golf to even be on this thread...but why do you think tiger is doing so poorly...his knee?

Bones...Golf is the only game where the player is responsible for his own score keeping. If he cheats...which is easy to do... it is on his conscience.

Golf is also a sport in which once in a blue moon one can get it together and hit a shot "just as good as Tiger". I do feel like I've "done something" when I put a ball a foot from the cup from 175 yards.

Arnold Palmer once said that Golf is the only game that you do not have to be good at to enjoy. I tend to agree.

Arnold Palmer once said that Golf is the only game that you do not have to be good at to enjoy. I tend to agree.

Working in the golf industry for the last 30 years and having caddied in 2 U.S. Opens, The Memorial, The Bing Crosby and The Masters, I have seen a lot. I met a guy pulling a cart playing late one afternoon in Houston while I was shooting photographs of the course for the club. I went to him and told him how great it was to see someone playing the game the way it was suppose to be played...... walking. He responded by saying that he walked 9 holes every day, that it kept him young, he was 93 years old!

It is a strange game, the better you get at hitting the ball, the harder it gets. The more accomplished you are as a player, the harder you are on yourself. Even the best players in the world continue to get lessons. A typical course is close to 4 miles long from tee to green, if you carry your bag and walk, it is quite an enjoyable workout. On most courses you will end up walking over 7 miles, swinging a club at least 50 times and picking up 30 pounds of clubs and balls even more. You will use your brain the whole time and if played the correct way will learn a great deal about yourself and the people you play with.
Palmer also said, years ago, that at their level it was 10% physical and 90% mental....... I think it is more than that physically but he is right about the mental aspect. Your ability to live within the moment and forget the previous mistakes is a huge advantage that most fall short of.

Working in the golf industry for the last 30 years and having caddied in 2 U.S. Opens, The Memorial, The Bing Crosby and The Masters, I have seen a lot. I met a guy pulling a cart playing late one afternoon in Houston while I was shooting photographs of the course for the club. I went to him and told him how great it was to see someone playing the game the way it was suppose to be played...... walking. He responded by saying that he walked 9 holes every day, that it kept him young, he was 93 years old!

It is a strange game, the better you get at hitting the ball, the harder it gets. The more accomplished you are as a player, the harder you are on yourself. Even the best players in the world continue to get lessons. A typical course is close to 4 miles long from tee to green, if you carry your bag and walk, it is quite an enjoyable workout. On most courses you will end up walking over 7 miles, swinging a club at least 50 times and picking up 30 pounds of clubs and balls even more. You will use your brain the whole time and if played the correct way will learn a great deal about yourself and the people you play with.
Palmer also said, years ago, that at their level it was 10% physical and 90% mental....... I think it is more than that physically but he is right about the mental aspect. Your ability to live within the moment and forget the previous mistakes is a huge advantage that most fall short of.

And now in Texas you can do that walking, swinging and carrying in 101 degree heat !

And now in Texas you can do that walking, swinging and carrying in 101 degree heat !

Not me! It's too hot to sleep!:lol:

all week too ! good story for ya tho---my son hit a shot OB on a 183 par 3 the other day and put his next shot in the cup after it rolled about 4 feet. Told nim "nice par" he was pissed LOL :lol:

all week too ! good story for ya tho---my son hit a shot OB on a 183 par 3 the other day and put his next shot in the cup after it rolled about 4 feet. Told nim "nice par" he was pissed LOL :lol:

No SHIT! I bet he was. In 50 years of playing I have had one hole in one, a perfect 6 iron into the wind from 177 yards. It was into the sun so I didn't see it go in and then some dickhead that was in my foursome found it in the hole and threw it to me!!!!! I refused to buy drinks after that.

No SHIT! I bet he was. In 50 years of playing I have had one hole in one, a perfect 6 iron into the wind from 177 yards. It was into the sun so I didn't see it go in and then some dickhead that was in my foursome found it in the hole and threw it to me!!!!! I refused to buy drinks after that.

don't blame ya--some people just don't get it. I've come within an eyelash but no luck.

Forum List

Back