U.S. Olympic athlete holds up Mexican flag?!?!

Sunni Man

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2008
Patriotic American Muslim
The 27-year-old was born in Mexico, but the United States is his country now. His father migrated here illegally from the city of Dolores Hidalgo. Manzano was brought here when he was 4. Like most immigrants, they came in search of greater opportunity. And they found it -- for themselves, and their children.

That little boy eventually became a U.S. citizen. And then, after a lot of hard work and thousands of hours of training, he got the chance to represent his country and compete in the Olympics. And, to put the cherry on the sundae, he actually wins a silver medal. The last time an American won a medal of any kind in the 1500 meters was 44 years ago.

You can't help but be proud of Manzano and the country that allowed him the opportunity to fulfill his potential.

So why did Manzano carry two flags with him on his victory lap? As the world looked on, he held up both the U.S. flag and the Mexican flag. Not a good look. And not a good idea.

Manzano posted messages on Twitter throughout the competition -- in Spanish and English. After his victory, he tweeted, "Silver medal, still felt like I won! Representing two countries USA and Mexico!"

U.S. Olympic athlete, Mexican flag? - CNN.com

120810032604-navarrette-two-flags-story-top.jpg

Alot of Mexican/Americans feel loyalty towards Mexico, you should see the soccer stadiums in LA when Team USA plays Mexico in soccer, everyone is rooting for the Mexican team.

murkins don't get out much. In the real world it is quite common to display the flag of your home country proudly below your country of residence.It also makes it easier to find a place to stop if you're traveling and not bilingual.The flag depicts the language, the food and other customs.
That's what this kid was doing.He represented Mexicans as a people and the US as a citizen.
Had he been from IsNtReal and displaying the false flag, nobody would have taken a second thought.

I don't think this is that big of a deal. Walk through any ethnic neighborhood in this country and you'll find foreign flags flown. You'll see Italian flags in the North End in Boston. I think Manzano's actions may have been a gesture to honor his family as well. He displayed the American flag more prominently than the Mexican, it appears, judging by the photograph, so I don't really see an issue with it.

I don't think this is that big of a deal. Walk through any ethnic neighborhood in this country and you'll find foreign flags flown. You'll see Italian flags in the North End in Boston. I think Manzano's actions may have been a gesture to honor his family as well. He displayed the American flag more prominently than the Mexican, it appears, judging by the photograph, so I don't really see an issue with it.
Flying the flag of your ethnicity outside your home is fine and dandy.

But representing your country at an Olympic event is a whole different story. :cool:

I don't see the problem. He was born in Mexico and probably doesn't want to forget that. He is obviously proud of who he is.
There is no law against an American carrying the Mexican flag, anyway.

There is no law against an American carrying the Mexican flag, anyway.

I don't think anyone is suggesting he be charged with a crime. In all honesty, I agree 100% with the sentiment of OP and I would extend it to so many others. The Olympics simply should not be a place to air the dirty laundry of your internal politics. If the man's conscience couldn't allow him to represent the USA and only the USA then he should have had the class to simply not attend the Olympic tryouts.

He would not be the only person to ever not competed in the Olympics because he was a man without a country. Hakeem Olajuwan jumps mind.

And I'll go a step further. If David Rudisha is going to be running in the Olympics, it should simply be as a Kenyan, not as a Maasai. Larry Bird did not compete for the US as a "Proud Caucasian" trying to make his race proud.

It's unfortunate, because several great runners - Sebastian Coe jumps to mind, ran that distance in the 1:41 range, but nobody ever broke that 1:41:00 barrier until Rudisha did. I found the focus on his ethicity to be only a distraction.

If he wanted to represent mexico, he should have been on the mexican olympic team.

Forum List

Back