U.S. Officials rethink hopes for Iraq Democracy

DeadCanDance

May 29, 2007
So, a trillion taxpayer dollars, and 30,000 dead and wounded american soldiers, just to get Iraq back to where it was BEFORE we invaded? A stable government that can provide security. That’s what we get out of this massive investment of blood and treasure??

Worst. President. Ever.

U.S. officials rethink hopes for Iraq democracy

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Nightmarish political realities in Baghdad are prompting American officials to curb their vision for democracy in Iraq. Instead, the officials now say they are willing to settle for a government that functions and can bring security.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/08/22/iraq.democracy/index.html

and what is truly criminal is not the what they misspent the money on, but what we really needed to spend the money on instead. Our enemies are as strong as the day they attacked us, and we have NOTHING to show for the investment beyond some fancy machines which screen checked luggage at airports.

So, a trillion taxpayer dollars, and 30,000 dead and wounded american soldiers, just to get Iraq back to where it was BEFORE we invaded? A stable government that can provide security. That’s what we get out of this massive investment of blood and treasure??

Worst. President. Ever.

Hardly the worst President ever.

There was never any hope for a Western-style democracy in Iraq.

winning the war was never the plan,the plan was to empire build with on going war in multiple theaters....war is peace

Odd how many foreign corporations and investors are getting a piece of the action. If we can just keep the muslims killing each other a little bit longer-------

Odd how many foreign corporations and investors are getting a piece of the action. If we can just keep the muslims killing each other a little bit longer-------

Its so funny that some Bush fans don't even bother anymore using the figleaf off all the "reasons" they originally gave for invading iraq: WMD, democracy, torture chambers, mass graves, and human rights.

Thanks for your honesty! I always knew you neocons were lying about the real reasons for your war.

:lol:

Its so funny that some Bush fans don't even bother anymore using the figleaf off all the "reasons" they originally gave for invading iraq: WMD, democracy, torture chambers, mass graves, and human rights.

Thanks for your honesty! I always knew you neocons were lying about the real reasons for your war.

:lol:

You're mixing apples-n-oranges. One, dillo has never been some bigtime Bush supporter nor neocon. Two, agree with invading or not, we did. Some of just march on and try to deal with we've been given instead of still crying in our Wheaties 4+ years after the fact that it's what we were given.

The reasons given for invading Iraq are as valid today as they were in 2003, and 1993. Agreeing with those reasons does not automatically mean one is required to agree that invading was the right decision.

You're mixing apples-n-oranges. One, dillo has never been some bigtime Bush supporter nor neocon. Two, agree with invading or not, we did. Some of just march on and try to deal with we've been given instead of still crying in our Wheaties 4+ years after the fact that it's what we were given.

The reasons given for invading Iraq are as valid today as they were in 2003, and 1993. Agreeing with those reasons does not automatically mean one is required to agree that invading was the right decision.

Pretty easy for those on the american side of the equation to say "deal with it and stop crying". I wonder how an Iraqi would feel about such a sentiment? I mean, it is Iraqis that are doing the lions share of suffering here....our suffering is a drop in an ocean compared to theirs.

Pretty easy for those on the american side of the equation to say "deal with it and stop crying". I wonder how an Iraqi would feel about such a sentiment? I mean, it is Iraqis that are doing the lions share of suffering here....our suffering is a drop in an ocean compared to theirs.

The Iraqis are free to stop killing each other anytime they like.

Are you saying that they are not?

I am saying that your 1st grade understanding of complex issues is laid bare for all to see.

We invaded their nation and turned it into chaos and now you blame them for the chaos. Typical dodge of responsibility for our own crimes as usual.

I am saying that your 1st grade understanding of complex issues is laid bare for all to see.

We invaded their nation and turned it into chaos and now you blame them for the chaos. Typical dodge of responsibility for our own crimes as usual.

We didnt turn it into chaos---they did. It's not the fault of the US that Sunnis and Shias kill each other unless some dictator kills em first.

We didnt turn it into chaos---they did. It's not the fault of the US that Sunnis and Shias kill each other unless some dictator kills em first.

It is not our fault that the behave that way, certainly. It is DEFINITELY OUR FAULT for not knowing that such behavior would be an inevitable, inescapable consequence of our invasion/conquest/occupation.

It is not our fault that the behave that way, certainly. It is DEFINITELY OUR FAULT for not knowing that such behavior would be an inevitable, inescapable consequence of our invasion/conquest/occupation.

We did know. Cheney was very clear about it when he was in the Bush I White House. And Daddy Bush talked about it in his book. They just ignored it this time around because they didn't care about consequences.

How do you know it wasn't our real intent to pit muslim against muslim? I personally think its a great idea.

How do you know it wasn't our real intent to pit muslim against muslim? I personally think its a great idea.

if that were our intent, we could have come up with a means of accomplishing it that did not cost us the loss of respect of the rest of the world, the enmity of nearly the entire muslim population on the earth, 30K dead and wounded, a half a trillion dollars that could have been spent actually making us safer and five years of lost opportunities to fight our real enemies who, by our own admission, are as strong today as they were before we incurred all those costs.

if that were our intent, we could have come up with a means of accomplishing it that did not cost us the loss of respect of the rest of the world, the enmity of nearly the entire muslim population on the earth, 30K dead and wounded, a half a trillion dollars that could have been spent actually making us safer and five years of lost opportunities to fight our real enemies who, by our own admission, are as strong today as they were before we incurred all those costs.

Please stop with the "real enemies" shit. Our real enemy is radical Islam who thinks it's heroic to go blow up a bunch of women and children. Iraq is in the HEART of radical islam as evidenced by them all murdering each other to see which one should be the head radical.

Please stop with the "real enemies" shit. Our real enemy is radical Islam who thinks it's heroic to go blow up a bunch of women and children. Iraq is in the HEART of radical islam as evidenced by them all murdering each other to see which one should be the head radical.

Strange how it only happened after the invasion and occupation.

Perhaps, given that that behaviour followed the invasion and occupation, it might be that the invasion and occupation was a bad thing?

Strange how it only happened after the invasion and occupation.

Perhaps, given that that behaviour followed the invasion and occupation, it might be that the invasion and occupation was a bad thing?

DOH--it happened because we killed the "warden" and the prison doors swung open. They all could have gone home and chilled but NOOOOOOOOO. They just HAD to go back killing each other. Dont' try to blame their blood thirsty hatred on America.

Forum List

Back