U.S. Military Sources: Iran Has Missing Stealth Drone...

RQ-170 crash might put US sensor technology at risk
By Defense Systems Staff
Dec 06, 2011

U.S. officials have confirmed that an RQ-170 Sentinel unmanned aerial vehicle on a secret mission for the CIA did crash in Iran on Dec. 1, reports MSNBC.

CIA operators were flying the stealth UAV when it went off course and crashed in a remote mountainous area of Iran after it ran out of fuel, the officials said.
RQ-170 crash puts US sensor technology at risk -- Defense Systems

Even if Iran has, as it claims, shot down a Lockheed Martin RQ-170 unmanned aerial system (UAS), the single-channel, full-motion video capability that made the stealthy flying wing so invaluable when it debuted in Afghanistan about two years ago is considered outdated, potentially limiting the intelligence fallout
Downed UAV Technology Already Dated | AVIATION WEEK

he 27.43m wide and 1.82m high aerial vehicle was designed to execute intelligence, surveillance, reconnaissance and target acquisition (ISTAR) and electronic warfare missions over a target area.

About 90% of the aircraft is made up of composite materials to decrease its overall weight
RQ-170 Sentinel Unmanned Aerial Vehicle - Airforce Technology

The Air Force has lost to combat action and accidents more than half the 90 Predators it has so far received, while some smaller UAVs have crashed after colliding in midair with helicopters, according to testimony before a House Appropriations defense subcommittee.

“You lose [Predators] by being shot down,” a transcript of the hearing quotes Moseley as saying. “You lose them by training. You lose them by hitting the ground. You run them out of gas. There’s a variety of reasons for losing them. But we’ve lost about 48 or 49 out of 90.”
Half of Predators fielded have been lost - Air Force News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Air Force Times

The point is that losing a UAV or UCAV is nothing new and should it prove to be a RQ170 which it appears it is, then I rather doubt after it augers in at 50,000 ft. especially there would be much left of an all composite airframe. If it were intact then we would have seen it already in any number of propaganda outlets throughout the MiddleEast. We have lost Predators, Reapers, and yes even Global Hawks over the years in both Iraq and Afghanistan. So if the concern is over a technology transfer its a little late for that. In fact if one wishes they can travel to Belgrade and see a MQ-1 Predator in a Museum there alongside the wreckage of a F117 Nighthawk. The point is had this aircraft been so sensitive that the very loss of it would cause US Forces harm then it would have been destroyed on the ground which was a considered option.

By Defense Systems Staff
Dec 06, 2011

U.S. officials have confirmed that an RQ-170 Sentinel unmanned aerial vehicle on a secret mission for the CIA did crash in Iran on Dec. 1, reports MSNBC.

CIA operators were flying the stealth UAV when it went off course and crashed in a remote mountainous area of Iran after it ran out of fuel, the officials said.

Even if Iran has, as it claims, shot down a Lockheed Martin RQ-170 unmanned aerial system (UAS), the single-channel, full-motion video capability that made the stealthy flying wing so invaluable when it debuted in Afghanistan about two years ago is considered outdated, potentially limiting the intelligence fallout

he 27.43m wide and 1.82m high aerial vehicle was designed to execute intelligence, surveillance, reconnaissance and target acquisition (ISTAR) and electronic warfare missions over a target area.

About 90% of the aircraft is made up of composite materials to decrease its overall weight

The Air Force has lost to combat action and accidents more than half the 90 Predators it has so far received, while some smaller UAVs have crashed after colliding in midair with helicopters, according to testimony before a House Appropriations defense subcommittee.

“You lose [Predators] by being shot down,” a transcript of the hearing quotes Moseley as saying. “You lose them by training. You lose them by hitting the ground. You run them out of gas. There’s a variety of reasons for losing them. But we’ve lost about 48 or 49 out of 90.”
Half of Predators fielded have been lost - Air Force News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Air Force Times

The point is that losing a UAV or UCAV is nothing new and should it prove to be a RQ170 which it appears it is, then I rather doubt after it augers in at 50,000 ft. especially there would be much left of an all composite airframe. If it were intact then we would have seen it already in any number of propaganda outlets throughout the MiddleEast. We have lost Predators, Reapers, and yes even Global Hawks over the years in both Iraq and Afghanistan. So if the concern is over a technology transfer its a little late for that. In fact if one wishes they can travel to Belgrade and see a MQ-1 Predator in a Museum there alongside the wreckage of a F117 Nighthawk. The point is had this aircraft been so sensitive that the very loss of it would cause US Forces harm then it would have been destroyed on the ground which was a considered option.

Yes,honest information is hard to come by. Our Government lies to us 24/7 and so does theirs. I never expect to get the truth from our Government anymore.

By Defense Systems Staff
Dec 06, 2011

Yes,honest information is hard to come by. Our Government lies to us 24/7 and so does theirs. I never expect to get the truth from our Government anymore.

If one would care to take the time to look for it Paul, a little while back in Afghanistan a Reaper UAV was shot down by the Taliban and put on display on TV, Youtube and many other outlets in the Middle East. So it's really not all that uncommon for these UCAVs or UAVs to come down. the bigger question is is there an effort underway to keep the Wars going? While I understand that Iran is big supplier of weapons to some not so nice people and have killed many Americans in the region, it would seem to me that there is no effort whatsoever to really punish them and bring the to bear for that, when one simply needs to just shut down transactions from all Iranian banks and seal them off. It does appear on the surface at least that our efforts in iran are more towards a force justification rather than an effort to really limit Irans ability to do business.

By Defense Systems Staff
Dec 06, 2011

If one would care to take the time to look for it Paul, a little while back in Afghanistan a Reaper UAV was shot down by the Taliban and put on display on TV, Youtube and many other outlets in the Middle East. So it's really not all that uncommon for these UCAVs or UAVs to come down. the bigger question is is there an effort underway to keep the Wars going? While I understand that Iran is big supplier of weapons to some not so nice people and have killed many Americans in the region, it would seem to me that there is no effort whatsoever to really punish them and bring the to bear for that, when one simply needs to just shut down transactions from all Iranian banks and seal them off. It does appear on the surface at least that our efforts in iran are more towards a force justification rather than an effort to really limit Irans ability to do business.

Good points but them having this drone is still not a good thing. China & Russia will be very interested. It is a bit of a blunder. And i really do think the war with Iran has already begun.

Good points but them having this drone is still not a good thing. China & Russia will be very interested. It is a bit of a blunder. And i really do think the war with Iran has already begun.

It's been going on since 1979 my friend, while I agree that if there is anything left of the UAV they will give their friends in Russia and China a looksee, but I rather doubt the RQ170 has anything of value other than perhaps the software which after coming down from that altitude would be destroyed. So that leaves a few sensors perhaps. China and Russia already have their own UAV's and UCAv's in fact I will link you a video to the Chinese version of the Reaper drone. We as a nation have become so interested in money that am sure most of the technology gained here has been through shot down UAVs and our nation technology sharing through any number of US companies.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cYCBlcNvTQ]Chinese Reaper Predator UAV - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4Uupnb3u-w]Russian 6th generation MiG Skat UCAV - Beyond 5th gen Sukhoi T-50 PAK FA - YouTube[/ame]

In this you will see Russia's version of the RQ-170

It's been going on since 1979 my friend, while I agree that if there is anything left of the UAV they will give their friends in Russia and China a looksee, but I rather doubt the RQ170 has anything of value other than perhaps the software which after coming down from that altitude would be destroyed. So that leaves a few sensors perhaps. China and Russia already have their own UAV's and UCAv's in fact I will link you a video to the Chinese version of the Reaper drone. We as a nation have become so interested in money that am sure most of the technology gained here has been through shot down UAVs and our nation technology sharing through any number of US companies.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cYCBlcNvTQ]Chinese Reaper Predator UAV - YouTube[/ame]

Every bit of advanced technology China has was stolen from us. They haven't created anything on their own. I heard an expert say that once and it really did disturb me. It was all stolen from us over many years starting especially with the Clinton Administration. So i'm sure you're right when you say they already have technology very similar to ours.

All you need to do Paul to verify that is too look at the new Chinese 5th Generation Fighter, it is an EXACT copy of the F-22. Something for those to consider when they shop at Wal-Mart next time and have a shopping cart full of goods made in China are love the fact they are saving money, when in fact they are helping fund the theft of this technology. It's hard not to function in our society without funding China these days sadly.

bigbeast1-660x205.jpg

Multiple news outlets have cited anonymous U.S. government sources confirming Tehran’s claims that it’s in possession of the radar-evading Unmanned Aerial Vehicle.

Forum List

Back