U.S. Marine Hassoun at Beirut U.S. Embassy

Originally posted by lilcountriegal
I dunno... something about this whole entire story smells. These freaks are beheading construction workers, etc., because they are easy targets... one would think if they had a Marine, they wouldnt let him go just on a promise he not return.

I'll reserve final judgement until I hear more of the story, but my instinct tells me this guy set this thing up himself.

Very intersting take lil. Possible scandal.

Originally posted by Pale Rider
Very intersting take lil. Possible scandal.

I think he fell for a girl (reports are he left his post to meet a local young lady), then decided to desert from the Marines. Realizing that he f'd up, he probably created the rest of the story. It would not be difficult to find an Islamic site that would buy into the story so it would have been easy to "fake" the video.

Either that, or he did get captured and he did take special favors from the enemy (i.e. I will no longer fight if you spare my life).

Originally posted by freeandfun1
I think he fell for a girl (reports are he left his post to meet a local young lady), then decided to desert from the Marines. Realizing that he f'd up, he probably created the rest of the story. It would not be difficult to find an Islamic site that would buy into the story so it would have been easy to "fake" the video.

Either that, or he did get captured and he did take special favors from the enemy (i.e. I will no longer fight if you spare my life).

In one of the stories I read, he was seeing an Arab girl. They are looking into that as a possible reason behind his desertion.

The enemy had a United States Marine. Had this been the true scenario, there would be absolutely no special favors that would allow that Marine to keep his head.

This stinks of hoax and if its true, I hope he is punished to the fullest extent.

The enemy had a United States Marine. Had this been the true scenario, there would be absolutely no special favors that would allow that Marine to keep his head.

To me, this is more the reason to let him go. I believe that they believe that their letting a MUSLIM Marine go would do even more to put Muslim Americans on their (the terrorists) side. If they did have him and they let him go, they were sending a message and that message is: "even if you are a US Marine, if you are a Muslim and you promise to no longer fight us or even join us, we will spare your life. We are not against our Muslim brothers, we are against ALL others."

I hope people are getting the message!

I hadn't read or heard about the girl thing. Damn... he's in deep shit if that's what it turns out to be. :rolleyes:

To me, this is more the reason to let him go. I believe that they believe that their letting a MUSLIM Marine go would do even more to put Muslim Americans on their (the terrorists) side. If they did have him and they let him go, they were sending a message and that message is: "even if you are a US Marine, if you are a Muslim and you promise to no longer fight us or even join us, we will spare your life. We are not against our Muslim brothers, we are against ALL others."

Muslim or not, he would lose his head. They've already proven that religion does not matter... they've already beheaded a Muslim.

I think it was a scared kid who had no idea what he'd signed himself up for, and on seeing a comrade die, got freaked out and wanted out, no matter what. Given the recent action of kidnappings, he decided to fake his own so he could leave and go be with his family.

The route he was taking to Jordan wasnt the shortest route. It was suggested he took the longer route (via Syria?) as to avoid running into other American military.

It just doesnt add up.

I don't think they'd do this though, for some reason. I think if they had a Marine, they'd figure, "well maybe you used to be a Muslim... until you joined the U.S. Marine Corps", and they'd cut his head off anyway, because they'd see an "American", not a muslim.

Muslim or not, he would lose his head. They've already proven that religion does not matter... they've already beheaded a Muslim.

I think it was a scared kid who had no idea what he'd signed himself up for, and on seeing a comrade die, got freaked out and wanted out, no matter what. Given the recent action of kidnappings, he decided to fake his own so he could leave and go be with his family.

The route he was taking to Jordan wasnt the shortest route. It was suggested he took the longer route (via Syria?) as to avoid running into other American military.

It just doesnt add up.

which Muslim?

Originally posted by Pale Rider
I don't think they'd do this though, for some reason. I think if they had a Marine, they'd figure, "well maybe you used to be a Muslim... until you joined the U.S. Marine Corps", and they'd cut his head off anyway, because they'd see an "American", not a muslim.

Then you missed the story I posted a while back about the Muslim American that was spared in SA and they specifically told him they spared him because he was Muslim.

EDIT:

LINK TO PREVIOUS THREAD

Paul Johnson was married to a Muslim and (im sure) i read that he converted to the religion. I got the name, still searching for the article.

I hit with Daniel Pearl and Muslim when I googled too, but Johnson was the one I was thinking of..

** on edit, Daniel Pearl was a Jew. I cant find the original article stating Paul Johnson converted to Muslim (anyone remember hearing this.. the outrage of them beheading a Muslim?). Maybe I'm just losing my mind lol.

Two things that I find troubling about this situation.

One, the military rumor mill states that Hassoun had cleared out his locker prior to his disappearance.

Two, just a couple of minutes ago, Ted Koppel reported that Hassoun had withdrawn several hundred dollars from either a savings or checking account (it was not specified which) before he disappeared.

Still doesn't prove anything, but certainly raises more questions.

Paul Johnson was married to a Muslim and (im sure) i read that he converted to the religion. I got the name, still searching for the article.

I hit with Daniel Pearl and Muslim when I googled too, but Johnson was the one I was thinking of..

** on edit, Daniel Pearl was a Jew. I cant find the original article stating Paul Johnson converted to Muslim (anyone remember hearing this.. the outrage of them beheading a Muslim?). Maybe I'm just losing my mind lol.

Johnson was a Christian but since he had been in SA for so many years, some Muslims had said that according to the Quaran, since he had been under the protection of Muslims for so long, he should be spared. But the terrorists didn't listen.

Forum List

Back