U.S. House passes "Protect Life Act"

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
By Laura Bassett

WASHINGTON -- After an emotional floor debate, the House of Representatives on Thursday passed the so-called Protect Life Act, which prohibits women from buying health insurance plans that cover abortion under the Affordable Care Act and makes it legal for hospitals to deny abortions to pregnant women with life-threatening conditions.

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.), a proponent of the bill, told voters last week that its purpose is "to ensure that no taxpayer dollars flow to health care plans that cover abortion and no health care worker has to participate in abortions against their will."

In fact, the Affordable Care Act already keeps public dollars separate from the private insurance payments that cover abortion. A federal judge ruled in August that the anti-abortion group Susan B. Anthony List had to stop making the claim on its website that "Obamacare" subsidizes abortions because the assertion is false.

Protect Life Act Passes House: Congress Passes Controversial Anti-Abortion Bill

By Laura Bassett

WASHINGTON -- After an emotional floor debate, the House of Representatives on Thursday passed the so-called Protect Life Act, which prohibits women from buying health insurance plans that cover abortion under the Affordable Care Act and makes it legal for hospitals to deny abortions to pregnant women with life-threatening conditions.

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.), a proponent of the bill, told voters last week that its purpose is "to ensure that no taxpayer dollars flow to health care plans that cover abortion and no health care worker has to participate in abortions against their will."

In fact, the Affordable Care Act already keeps public dollars separate from the private insurance payments that cover abortion. A federal judge ruled in August that the anti-abortion group Susan B. Anthony List had to stop making the claim on its website that "Obamacare" subsidizes abortions because the assertion is false.

it won't get past the senate. it's another wingnut bill out of the House. and even if it got through the senate, the president would veto it. there aren't enough votes to override.

so ultimately, i wouldn't worry about it. more idiocy from the "small government" people.

not to mention it's unconstitutional, but there ya go.

I agree. No public money for abortions.

Ok ... but that's not what this is about. Allow me to quote the important part.
prohibits women from buying health insurance plans that cover abortion under the Affordable Care Act
Meaning, a woman could have zero intentions of ever having an abortion, but she would still not be allowed to buy a plan she wants, because of what the plan offers.

Anti-choice is taking on a whole new meaning.

I agree that it won't pass the Senate or Obama. However, it just boggles my mind that the House just keeps hammering on women's rights. They haven't done one damn thing to create jobs or anything else for ordinary Americans.

From OP

By Laura Bassett

it won't get past the senate. it's another wingnut bill out of the House. and even if it got through the senate, the president would veto it. there aren't enough votes to override.

so ultimately, i wouldn't worry about it. more idiocy from the "small government" people.

Have to agree with you on this one. The last thing the GOP should be doing right now is pushing their Pet Social Issues.

I agree that it won't pass the Senate or Obama. However, it just boggles my mind that the House just keeps hammering on women's rights. They haven't done one damn thing to create jobs or anything else for ordinary Americans.

Perhaps they should have passed legislation to appropriate more money for failing solar companies...

Obama's doing his "Tax The Rich" thing and the Repugs are doing their anti-abortion thing.

It's called bringing in your base.

I seriously doubt they think it's going to pass.

I'll remember all of these complaints the next time Obama signs some executive order cancelling out Don't Ask Don't Tell, or signing new hiring regulations in the DOD favoring fucken "Diversity".

Last edited:
So if I knew how to post a poll, I would ask if your daughter, wife, sister needed an abortion to save her life, would you still support this bill?

Perhaps you missed this part:

"and makes it legal for hospitals to deny abortions to pregnant women with life-threatening conditions. "

Read first - post fauxtrage second....

Obama's doing his "Tax The Rich" thing and the Repugs are doing their anti-abortion thing.

It's called bringing in your base.

I seriously doubt they think it's going to pass.

I'd bet money they know it won't pass. That's why it's all the more a waste of time and hypocritical. Am I the only one who remembers Boehner talking about fixing legislation so it would pass or it's a waste of time?

I agree. No public money for abortions.

Ok ... but that's not what this is about. Allow me to quote the important part.
prohibits women from buying health insurance plans that cover abortion under the Affordable Care Act
Meaning, a woman could have zero intentions of ever having an abortion, but she would still not be allowed to buy a plan she wants, because of what the plan offers.

Anti-choice is taking on a whole new meaning.
So says the HuffPo, but that's not what the bill says:

3/17/2011--Reported to House amended, Part I. Protect Life Act - Amends the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) to prohibit federal funds from being to used to cover any part of the costs of any health plan that includes coverage of abortion services. (Currently, federal funds cannot be used for abortion services and plans receiving federal funds must keep federal funds segregated from any funds for abortion services.) Requires any qualified health benefit plan offered through an Exchange that includes coverage for abortions to also offer a qualified health benefit plan through the Exchange that is identical in every respect except that it does not cover abortions. Prohibits a federal agency or program and any state or local government that receives federal financial assistance under PPACA from requiring any health plan created or regulated under PPACA to discriminate against any institutional or individual health care entity based on the entity's refusal to undergo training in the performance of induced abortions, require or provide such training, or refer for such training. Creates a cause of action for any violations of the abortion provisions of PPACA. Gives federal courts jurisdiction to prevent and redress actual or threatened violations of such provisions by issuing any form of legal or equitable relief, including injunctions and orders preventing the disbursement of all or a portion of federal financial assistance until the prohibited conduct has ceased. Gives standing to institute an action to affected health care entities and the Attorney General. Requires the Secretary of Health and Human Services to designate the Director of the Office for Civil Rights of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to receive and investigate complaints alleging a violation of PPACA abortion provisions. Requires the Director of the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) to ensure that no multistate qualified health plan offered in an Exchange provides coverage of abortion services.​
HR 358: Protect Life Act, Summary

I bolded the pertinent part.

It looks like the HuffPo is telling porkie pies.

True.

Still, a shocking display of arrogance and ignorance – and as noted having noting to do with creating jobs or addressing the Nation’s other more pressing problems. Indeed, this wasn’t even a ‘problem’ at all.

By Laura Bassett

You wanted healthcare I wanted abortion off the table.
If you want the government out of your womb get rid of government control of your healthcare

Forum List

Back