U.S. Formally Ends War In Afghanistan

PGreen

Nov 24, 2014
The war in Afghanistan, fought for 13 bloody years and still raging, came to a formal end Sunday.

The Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts, taken together, will be the most expensive wars in US history—totaling somewhere between $4 trillion and $6 trillion. Every hour, taxpayers in the United States paid $10.17 million for Cost of War in Afghanistan since 2001. So, what did we accomplish?

Not much. This is what happens when we task our military with political objectives.

If it is over, than we should be bringing all the troops and equipment home.
If we are not, than, it is not over, no matter what they say.

It shows the folly of invading Iraq before Afghanistan was settled.
Care to expound?
There was no pressing reason to go into Iraq when we did. Should have waited to deal with Saddam until after Afghanistan was settled.

I agree that 9/11 was used as an excuse to invade Iraq, rather than to eliminate some immediate security threat. GW's well-intentioned, if unrealistic, goal was to create a new kind of Arab democracy that could serve as a model to break the unending conflicts in that region. A more practical (and less costly) goal would have been to depose Saddam and divide that "country"* into several administrative districts which could decide to unify or remain independent at some future date. In the meantime, we would have been able to establish a permanent military presence to counter Iranian threats to that region.

*Created out of thin air by British and French diplomats by drawing lines on a map in 1919 (Treaty of Versailles)

It shows the folly of invading Iraq before Afghanistan was settled.
Care to expound?
There was no pressing reason to go into Iraq when we did. Should have waited to deal with Saddam until after Afghanistan was settled.

I agree that 9/11 was used as an excuse to invade Iraq, rather than to eliminate some immediate security threat. GW's well-intentioned, if unrealistic, goal was to create a new kind of Arab democracy that could serve as a model to break the unending conflicts in that region. A more practical (and less costly) goal would have been to depose Saddam and divide that "country"* into several administrative districts which could decide to unify or remain independent at some future date. In the meantime, we would have been able to establish a permanent military presence to counter Iranian threats to that region.

*Created out of thin air by British and French diplomats by drawing lines on a map in 1919 (Treaty of Versailles)
Well Intentioned? It was an outright lie!
Remember During the 2000 campaign, George W. Bush argued against nation building and foreign military entanglements. In the second presidential debate, he said: "I'm not so sure the role of the United States is to go around the world and say, 'This is the way it's got to be.'"
So what happened?

The war in Afghanistan, fought for 13 bloody years and still raging, came to a formal end Sunday.

The Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts, taken together, will be the most expensive wars in US history—totaling somewhere between $4 trillion and $6 trillion. Every hour, taxpayers in the United States paid $10.17 million for Cost of War in Afghanistan since 2001. So, what did we accomplish?
Another lost war, paid for with money we don't have. America, land of the loser morons. Terrific.

About time. I don't know about you, but I know I'd rather be seen as having "lost" an unjust war than spend money to watch our soldiers die for Bush's friends' pocketbooks. Now the troops can finally come home.

About time. I don't know about you, but I know I'd rather be seen as having "lost" an unjust war than spend money to watch our soldiers die for Bush's friends' pocketbooks. Now the troops can come home and spend their time getting education

A 'Pipe Dream', as in Pipeline. We'll be in Afghanistan for the foreseeable future. Do people really believe the Globalist Elites are finished plundering Afghanistan's resources?

PMH 10434106
Another lost war,

What is lost about it? The Taliban were in power in Kabul and all the rest of Afghanistan as well as being joined with Pakistani Taliban and al Qaeda in the ungoverned territories in Pakistan on the Afghan border. They control very little territory now and have very little capability to launch and sustain major attacks on government forces.

PMH 10434106
Another lost war,

What is lost about it? The Taliban were in power in Kabul and all the rest of Afghanistan as well as joined with Pakistani Taliban and al Qaeda in the ungoverned territories in Pakistan on the Afghan border. They control very little territory now and have very little capability to launch and sustain major attacks on government forces.

Actually, our Government has agreed to hand over half of Afghanistan to the Taliban. That's a done-deal. Now it's time for the Globalist Elites to get richer. It's all about the plundering of Afghanistan's resources now. It's about a Pipeline and Drugs.

Anyone care to hazard a guess at what's to come?

Sure.

The minute our troops are all gone from Stan the Taliban will take the country over again.

Karsai will flee or be killed and anyone who thinks the Afghan army trained by us will keep the country from falling to the Taliban is in for a rude awakening.

The Taliban will once again rule Afghanistan.

Anyone care to hazard a guess at what's to come?

Sure.

The minute our troops are all gone from Stan the Taliban will take the country over again.

Karsai will flee or be killed and anyone who thinks the Afghan army trained by us will keep the country from falling to the Taliban is in for a rude awakening.

The Taliban will once again rule Afghanistan.
Perfect :D

The only part you left out was where American troops will be sent back. These will be called advisers, and not boots on the ground.

Haha. The same people who were criticizing Obama for not getting us out of Afghanistan are now criticizing him for getting us out of Afghanistan.

Classic derangement from the usual suspects.

Forum List

Back