U.S. energy independence is no longer just a pipe dream

LilOlLady

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2009
Reno, NV
Now this once-sleepy chunk of north-central Pennsylvania is a star on the map of an emerging national energy rush. Six hotels are new or being built, and about 100 companies have moved to town, sometimes so fast that the head of the local Chamber of Commerce has told executives wanting guided tours to wait.
"I've said, 'Look sir, get in line,' " says Vince Matteo, chief executive of the Williamsport/Lycoming chamber. "Now I know people in their 20s with high school (diplomas) making $120,000 a year."
We do not need a XL Pipe line to bring in more oil and it is not cost effective and will only produce temporary jobs.

U.S. energy independence is no longer just a pipe dream'

President Romney will make this the centerpiece of his Administration, and make a 'moonshot effort' on domestic energy development the catalyst for creating more than 12 million jobs.

Glad to see you coming over from the darkside on this.

It's great news and gas is a great fuel, but until Americans start to use fuel/electricity more sensibly, I don't see energy independence as an achievable goal.

The US could reduce its energy consumption by 20% purely by installing adequate insulation and energy-saving technologies. No oil strikes are going to make that kind of wastage possible.

But it may be realistic to suggest that 20% of all US fuels used in transport will be CNG, LPG or biofuel as a result of projects likes this. That would be an enormous saving for ordinary people, and go a long way to reducing US emissions.

Yet another reason why we have to get rid of Obama and his jackboot on the throat of the US Economy

The US Is Sitting On A 200-Year Supply Of Oil

Read more: The US Is Sitting On A 200-Year Supply Of Oil - Business Insider

:confused::eusa_eh::eusa_shifty:

That is no reason to waste it on uses like heating, when other technologies can do the same thing better, more cleanly and at the same time preserve the oil for use in transport where it can not so easily be replaced yet.

Don't you have Finnish message boards, commie?
I know why are all these foreigners on this board. I can understand Canada because they have a direct interest but really this guy is from England and we have others from down under..

but really this guy is from England and we have others from down under..

Christ, am I?

I'll go out for a pint of warm ale, some spotted dick, a plate of toal in the hole and maybe take a gander at Scunthorpe v Dagenham & Redbridge.

It's interesting that the posters who seem most enraged about having to cope with foreigners are those who school report cards contained the line "Enjoys licking windows."

The marcellus shale is a huge play along with the bakken and eagle ford. The problem is permitting. We're talking tens of hundreds of thousands of jobs that will last for decades. Its a huge factor in why this state may be going red this election.

The marcellus shale is a huge play along with the bakken and eagle ford. The problem is permitting. We're talking tens of hundreds of thousands of jobs that will last for decades. Its a huge factor in why this state may be going red this election.

That is an enormous amount of jobs, and I do think the number of jobs and wealth created by these projects is crucial in making a final decision, but so to are the health impacts on surrounding populations.

When you read through some of the issues with Canadian oil sands -(increased cancer rates, deformities & arsenic poisoning amongst moose and fish, the destruction of hundreds of square miles of land and the usage of billions of gallons of water that no one seems to know what to do with....these decisions are by no means easy.

What is most interesting to me is how backward we can sometimes be in the use of our energy.

I've spent a great deal of time studying Native Americans [no, I don't have some fancy college degree] and it has always amazed me just how energy conscious they were. Those living in the Iroquois Nation in the NE American continent made their homes of logs but with many little tricks to make them easier to heat and more able to fend off extreme colds of the Mini Ice Age.

In the SW part of the continent, they built homes with thick mud [adobe] walls and roofs to fend off the strong rays of the sun. Some of their cliff dwellings faced south so as to avoid the strong son on their structures with thick stone walls.

And, in the NW, the same type of structures as in the NE held back the cold - as well as a lot of rain.

We could use many of those building techniques today. The initial cost would be high but long-term energy savings would make up for it.

Sometimes old turns out to be better than new.

Forum List

Back