U.S. Defense Secretary Visits India to Build Military Ties

Vikrant

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2013
The U.S.
Very good!

---

NEW DELHI — With a dash of the requisite South Asian pomp and a heap of expectations for the future, Defense Secretary Ashton B. Carter met on Wednesday with senior Indian officials to inch forward with military ties to a country that the United States sees as a crucial future partner in Asia.

Neither side made any big announcements during the visit. The trip mainly involved making progress on initiatives that were first worked out when President Obama visited India in January. Mr. Carter is scheduled to sign a defense framework agreement — basically, an outline for how the countries can work together — and finalize details of two small research projects that the American and Indian militaries will conduct together.

In both cases, American officials say, the point is to get Washington and New Delhi, which spent much of the Cold War at a wary distance, accustomed to working with each other. Progress has been slow so far, and the relationship is still very much in the courting stage, despite years of talk from the Bush and Obama administrations about India’s importance.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/04/w...ry-visits-india-build-military-ties.html?_r=0

Is it a smart move for the freaking Defense Department to be the lead agency for a "courting relationship" with India?

Ambitious indeed :)

“We have big ambitions,” Mr. Carter told reporters at a hotel here. “Some of the projects that we’re launching just now are in part intended to blaze a trail for things to come.”

The U.S. and Indian governments will jointly research and develop both a “next-generation” generator, aimed at addressing energy issues in the field, and a lighter, more “breathable” protective suit for troops working in biohazard environments.

Although the U.S. works closely with several dozen countries to jointly develop defense technologies, U.S. officials said the initiative with India was significant because of the “broader, strategic effort” with New Delhi that underpins it.

U.S. officials say the two governments are also working on a new, mini drone and a series of other joint development projects. There are hopes over time to work together on the development of jet engines and even aircraft carriers, Mr. Carter said.

U.S. India Strengthen Military Ties With Trade Deals - WSJ

WASHINGTON, June 4, 2015 – In India, Defense Secretary Ash Carter and Indian Defense Minister Manohar Parrikar signed a 10-year defense framework agreement yesterday, highlighting the growth of defense cooperation between the two countries.

Carter is on a 10-day trip focused on the U.S. rebalance to the Asia-Pacific region.

The agreement signed in India yesterday is an outgrowth of a meeting that was held between President Barack Obama and Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi in January.

Defense.gov News Article U.S. India Sign 10-Year Defense Framework Agreement

There is an interesting talk from Alyssa Ayres and some dudes in suits about geopolitics between India and the U.S.

Those have been on Amazon for a while.

kids_army_tank_tie-r0d7cc95bce00420a8edaab861e904245_v9whb_8byvr_324.jpg

But seriously... yes, very good. :thup:

Those have been on Amazon for a while.

kids_army_tank_tie-r0d7cc95bce00420a8edaab861e904245_v9whb_8byvr_324.jpg

But seriously... yes, very good. :thup:

What can I say, Indians just love U.S. They just can't help it.
But will they love us long time? For $5? :dunno:

I think the best love comes free.
You have a decent sense of humor, and I appreciate that. :thup:

I know you Churchill people don't like Mahatma Gandhi much but here is a good quote from him which I can totally relate to.

If I had no sense of humor, I would long ago have committed suicide.

Forum List

Back