U.S. couple killed by ISIS in Tajikistan were on dream cycling vacation

Darkman00

VIP Member
Aug 3, 2018
Why da heck do people ( Westerners especially ) still go to those fucking places ..... Beats me! :(

R.I.P.

-----

August 7, 2018 9:07 pm

Updated: August 7, 2018 9:11 pm

By Rebecca Joseph National Online Journalist, Breaking News Global News

A dream come true turned into tragedy for a couple from Washington, D.C. Jay Austin and Lauren Geoghegan quit their jobs and set out on a cycling adventure around the world. But in Tajikistan, they crossed paths with supporters of the so-called Islamic State. Mike Drolet has more on how the couple is being remembered.

Two Americans killed by the so-called Islamic State while cycling around the world are being remembered as free spirits.

Lauren Geoghegan and her boyfriend Jay Austin, both 29 years old, were cycling through Tajikistan with a group of foreigners when a car rammed into the group. The duo from Washington, D.C., was 369 days into their trip.

Five men got out and attacked the tourists with knives. One Dutch and one Swiss national were also killed along with the American couple.

Tajik authorities blamed the attack on an Islamic separatist group, but ISIS took responsibility in a video showing the five alleged attackers.

19506261.jpg

In this photo taken on Sunday, July 29, bicycles are left where four tourists were killed when a car rammed into a group of foreigners south of the capital of Dushanbe, Tajikistan. The Islamic State group on Tuesday claimed responsibility for a car-and-knife attack on Western tourists cycling in the country that killed two Americans and two Europeans.

(AP Photo/Zuly Rahmatova)

Read more
: U.S. couple killed by ISIS in Tajikistan were on dream cycling vacation

Why da heck do people ( Westerners especially ) still go to those fucking places ..... Beats me! :(

R.I.P.

-----

A dream come true turned into tragedy for a couple from Washington, D.C. Jay Austin and Lauren Geoghegan quit their jobs and set out on a cycling adventure around the world. But in Tajikistan, they crossed paths with supporters of the so-called Islamic State. Mike Drolet has more on how the couple is being remembered.

Two Americans killed by the so-called Islamic State while cycling around the world are being remembered as free spirits.

Lauren Geoghegan and her boyfriend Jay Austin, both 29 years old, were cycling through Tajikistan with a group of foreigners when a car rammed into the group. The duo from Washington, D.C., was 369 days into their trip.

Five men got out and attacked the tourists with knives. One Dutch and one Swiss national were also killed along with the American couple.

Tajik authorities blamed the attack on an Islamic separatist group, but ISIS took responsibility in a video showing the five alleged attackers.

19506261.jpg

In this photo taken on Sunday, July 29, bicycles are left where four tourists were killed when a car rammed into a group of foreigners south of the capital of Dushanbe, Tajikistan. The Islamic State group on Tuesday claimed responsibility for a car-and-knife attack on Western tourists cycling in the country that killed two Americans and two Europeans.

Read more

You pay your money you take your chances. Always wanted to do the road to Dushanbe myself.

R.I.P.

-----

19506261.jpg

Read more

You pay your money you take your chances. Always wanted to do the road to Dushanbe myself.

You'd better go as your avatar, Glaeken Trismegistus.

Last edited:
Social Darwinism at it's best.
Next year the cyclists were planning to go to Alaska to hand feed pieces of fresh salmon to hungry grizzly bears.
Don Lemon was going to go along to film them feeding the bears.

What a couple of idiots.

Free spirts my ass. A couple of ignorant Americans.

Who in their right mind goes anywhere where ISIS is.

Anyone that's not a native traveling in those areas ain't to swift.

You are actually justifying this terrorist attack! Unbelievable.

It is sad but true that "adventure" cyclists often lose their lives on a bicycle. That is all.

What a couple of idiots.

Free spirts my ass. A couple of ignorant Americans.

Who in their right mind goes anywhere where ISIS is.

Anyone that's not a native traveling in those areas ain't to swift.
Yeah, let’s see. Me and a group of fellow infidels are looking for an interesting part of the world to visit for our next adventure...

British couple cycling around the world killed in Thailand road accident

British couple killed in crash on world cycling tour

3:29PM GMT 16 Feb 2013

Peter Root and Mary Thompson, both 34, set off on a round-the-world adventure in July 2011 and had cycled through Europe, the Middle East and China.
The Guernsey couple are understood to have died in an accident on Thailand's notoriously lethal roads on Wednesday.
A Foreign Office spokesperson said: "We are aware of the deaths of two British nationals in Thailand on February 13 and we are providing consular assistance."
On their website, Two on four wheels, the couple posted a travel journal, photographs and short films from the 23 countries they had visited.

("We are Mary Thompson and Peter Root. At 5.00pm on the 12th July 2011 we got the boat to France with loads of stuff and two bikes. We’ve created this website to document our adventures along the way.") :icon_cry:

Last edited:
Lesson learned ... -- Only ride bike at home / home town / home city .... ))

It is sad but true that "adventure" cyclists often lose their lives on a bicycle. That is all.

What's really sad is the point they were trying to prove. It sort of qualifies for the 2018 Darwin Awards..

‘Evil Is a Make-Believe Concept’: Couple Who Biked Around the World, Concluding Humans Are Basically Good, Killed by ISIS Terrorists

Lauren Geoghegan and Jay Austin, both 29, operated a blog entitled “Simply Cycling: Traveling the World by Bicycle” where they chronicled their journey in both text and photographs. In April, Austin penned a blog post in which he outlined that he had come to conclude, in witnessing the hospitality and friendliness of others on his travels, that humans are basically good and that badness is rare.

“You watch the news and you read the papers and you’re led to believe that the world is a big, scary place. People, the narrative goes, are not to be trusted. People are bad. People are evil. People are axe murderers and monsters and worse,” he wrote. “I don’t buy it.”

“Evil is a make-believe concept we’ve invented to deal with the complexities of fellow humans holding values and beliefs and perspectives different than our own—it’s easier to dismiss an opinion as abhorrent than strive to understand it,” Austin stated. “Badness exists, sure, but even that’s quite rare. By and large, humans are kind. Self-interested sometimes, myopic sometimes, but kind. Generous and wonderful and kind.”

Guess they learned that evil is not a "make-believe" concept. Maybe their educators failed them a bit...

Like I said in one of the others threads about this couple...

I think those two had a death wish, that's the only rational explanation why they went there!:dunno:

As i said in another merged thread

reminds me of timmy treadwell another liberal idiot

that thought sleeping with grizzly bears was a good idea

--LOL

the competition runs steep with these folks on

who will win the Darwin award

This reminds me of that leftist, SJW woman a few years ago who decided to hitch hike across northern Africa and the Mideast to prove that muslims are no more violent than anyone else. On day 2 she got herself raped & murdered. Darwin in action.

Forum List

Back