U.S. Considers Housing Haitian Refugees at Guantanamo Bay

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Military planners are considering housing Haitian refugees at "Camp Justice," the guest quarters for media, U.S. officials and military commissioners at Guantanamo Bay detention facility, after a devastating earthquake in Haiti Tuesday afternoon left thousands homeless.

"It's a resource that's available if we need to take advantage of it for various reasons," Gen. Douglas Fraser, head of the U.S. Southern Command, told reporters Wednesday. "We're looking across the region to just understand what the possibilities are there."

Two senior Defense Department officials told Fox News on Wednesday that no final determination has been made since the military is still in its "assessment" mode, but it is a possibility.

"We are certainly keeping that option open," one official said.

FOXNews.com - U.S. Considers Housing Haitian Refugees at Guantanamo Bay

Guantanamo Bay isn't fit for terrorists,, and they are going to put refugees there? That's just pure stupid.

It's one place, we would need a lot more space. I guess if I were a Haitian I could acclimate better at Gitmo than a military base in North Dakota...brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

But we have many empty bases. We need to open them up, dust them off and airlift the people out of there.

Military planners are considering housing Haitian refugees at "Camp Justice," the guest quarters for media, U.S. officials and military commissioners at Guantanamo Bay detention facility, after a devastating earthquake in Haiti Tuesday afternoon left thousands homeless.

"It's a resource that's available if we need to take advantage of it for various reasons," Gen. Douglas Fraser, head of the U.S. Southern Command, told reporters Wednesday. "We're looking across the region to just understand what the possibilities are there."

Two senior Defense Department officials told Fox News on Wednesday that no final determination has been made since the military is still in its "assessment" mode, but it is a possibility.

Guantanamo Bay isn't fit for terrorists,, and they are going to put refugees there? That's just pure stupid.

:rolleyes:

don't roll your beady little eyes at me. you know what I'm saying.

Yes, I know what you are saying. It's something along the lines of, "I'm a total hack and will take something as benign as this in the wake of more than 100,000 dead and try to twist it and make it political. Even if my point makes ZERO sense so long as it sounds bad for the DUmmies."

Yes, I know what you are saying. It's something along the lines of, "I'm a total hack and will take something as benign as this in the wake of more than 100,000 dead and try to twist it and make it political. Even if my point makes ZERO sense so long as it sounds bad for the DUmmies."

wrong again nimrod. what I'm saying is there is absolutely nothing wrong with Guantanamo Bay.. and all of a sudden,, the dems see that.. and don't try to shame me with the deaths of 100 thousand people, I didn't cause it and I can't change it..

wrong again nimrod. what I'm saying is there is absolutely nothing wrong with Guantanamo Bay.. and all of a sudden,, the dems see that.. and don't try to shame me with the deaths of 100 thousand people, I didn't cause it and I can't change it..

You're a retard, Willow. These refugees would be temporarily housed at GITMO for humanitarian reasons and not held there for years against their will with a trial, etc. There's a massive difference. I can't believe it even has to be pointed out. Fuck, you're so partisan it's distgusting.

You're a retard, Willow. These refugees would be temporarily housed at GITMO for humanitarian reasons and not held there for years against their will with a trial, etc. There's a massive difference. I can't believe it even has to be pointed out. Fuck, you're so partisan it's distgusting.

has nothing to do with the facility, or the point I was trying to make. the facility is the best prison environment on the planet.. or would you prefer Illinois?

has nothing to do with the facility, or the point I was trying to make. the facility is the best prison environment on the planet.. or would you prefer Illinois?

You have no fucking point.

you'll just have to get over it then.. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Tell it 15!!!:clap2:

HEY WILLOW, 15 has a point, the prison is one very small part of that base, has been for years, but , but I don't think they would put them on the BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH/Dickless Cheney side of the compound , what do you think

HEY WILLOW, 15 has a point, the prison is one very small part of that base, has been for years, but , but I don't think they would put them on the BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH/Dickless Cheney side of the compound , what do you think

I think you are an idiot..

its actually quite comical

gitmo is so bad we have to close gitmo and move them to a SUPERMAX prison in obama's home state....

but, we can send refugees there....undoubtedly they won't be housed in the same conditions, but it makes the whole gitmo evil thing even more silly than claiming a SUPERMAX prison in obama's homestate will be better than gitmo

its actually quite comical

gitmo is so bad we have to close gitmo and move them to a SUPERMAX prison in obama's home state....

but, we can send refugees there....undoubtedly they won't be housed in the same conditions, but it makes the whole gitmo evil thing even more silly than claiming a SUPERMAX prison in obama's homestate will be better than gitmo

The problem people have with GITMO is the prisoners being held there without trial. That's the gripe and these people aren't going to be in cells subjecting to interrogation. They are being saved from a devasting natural disaster. But you knew that.

Using the base (you do know that it's a base right? and that real life Marines live there and stuff?) for emergency relief efforts makes sense. GITMO is right across the way from Haiti.

Fuck. Don't you like to accuse people of being hacks?

Obviously, there is a point or willow wouldnt have posted it nor said there was a point.

It's not really Willow's fault that you dont understand it, is it?

Forum List

Back