U.S. Citizens Say They Were Detained By Border Patrol Agent For ‘Speaking Spanish’

U.S. Citizens Say They Were Detained By Border Patrol Agent For ‘Speaking Spanish’

Two U.S. citizens said they were detained last week by a Border Patrol agent in Montana after he overheard them speaking Spanish to each other in a convenience store.

Ana Suda and Mimi Hernandez said they’d popped into the store in Havre, a small town near the border with Canada, early Wednesday morning when they were approached by a uniformed Border Patrol agent, KRTV reported.

The two women, who are Mexican American, had been chatting in Spanish while waiting in line to pay for eggs and milk when ― to their incredulity ― the agent asked them for their IDs.

Suda told MTN News that even after seeing their IDs, the agent did not let them leave the parking lot for about 35 minutes.
The border patrol has the right and the duty to detain anyone they find suspicious in any way...now go cry to people that give a rip...America is no longer open to illegal aliens...those days are over so you and Pelosi will have to get new voters the old fashion way...earn them...
No, they don't. Their jurisdiction has somehow been extended to 100 miles from the border, but stops away from the border must be due to reasonable suspicion of criminal and/or immigration actions.

These were US citizens detained AFTER showing their identification.

Anything else, bootlicker?
I don't care something caught the attention of the agent...I trust the agent to do his or her job...okay ball licker? The days of people walking into America without being scrutinized are over...and I'm happy for it! Build the wall!!!!!
You should go see a doctor about that burst blood vessel.

Anyway, bootlicker, they didn’t “walk into America”; they’re American citizens.

Yes, apparently it doesn't matter......speaking Spanish is criminal enough in the new America to be detained even tho you show you are a citizen. #MAGA!

Yes, they have the right to stop someone, and check if they are illegal. I was stopped even without specking Spanish! They held me there for 2 hours!

How come I as a white American citizens, who isn't speaking Spanish, can understand that the police have the right to stop me, and you people don't?

What gives them that right? What was their probable cause for doing so?

Or do you believe the police need no reason at all.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

I have no idea. Whether they need a reason, is for someone else to figure out.

I am not under the belief that even if they had a reason, that they needed to tell me what that reason was.

I'm not so arrogant that if an officer stops me, he has to give me every thought running through his head. Stuff happens. Get over it.
Then you don’t know your rights, or you’re perfectly ok with giving them away to the authorities. Good for you, bootlicker. But if a LEO detains me, they better have a good reason. And simply talking to someone in a language other than English is not reasonable suspicion by any stretch of the imagination.

I know my rights. And I also know that officers do not randomly stop people. Even if they did stop me by accident, say for example... my car just happen to match the description of a suspect car..... get over it? It happens. I am not so self-important, that I'm going to whine and cry, over just being stopped.

I was released. I was not charged with a crime. I was not harmed. Let it go. That's what an adult does. They don't sit there and have a little whine session.

It is not whining to stand up for your Constitutional rights. Speaking Spanish is not probable cause. ICE needs to be held accountable as they seem to think they are above the law.

Wow, a whole 35 minutes. Good thing they didn't go through an airport, that would have been 45 minutes standing in line.
That’s not the point, dipshit. Two US citizens were racially profiled and detained for speaking Spanish after providing proof of citizenship. And this happened in the United States at a store in Montana.

Do you rinse after licking boots, or do you enjoy the taste?

Get over it. How did Americans become so pathetic and whiny? My nephew in kindergarten, whines less.

I was held by police for 2 hours. I smiled, answered their questions, and when released, waved as I went.

You people are so wussy. How did we get such wussy people in this country? Did none of you have parents that taught you to deal with mild inconvenience in your life?

What were you held for? Was it for speaking the wrong language?

Doesn't matter what reason I was held for. The police have the right to detain people. That's part of the authority given to police, in the duty to enforce the law.

Does not matter. Grow up. GROW UP. Too many snotty teenager mentality brats running around, thinking they should never be stopped for anything. GROW UP.
They do not have the right to detain people without reasonable cause. Whether this constitutes reaonsable cause will be determined by a judge.

As for 'grow up', I would suggest you do likewise. Your smarmy view on it is juvenile. By that attitude, Trump should just 'grow up', and not be a 'wussy', instead of mewling nonstop about an investigation.

Two U.S. citizens said they were detained last week by a Border Patrol agent in Montana after he overheard them speaking Spanish to each other in a convenience store.

Ana Suda and Mimi Hernandez said they’d popped into the store in Havre, a small town near the border with Canada, early Wednesday morning when they were approached by a uniformed Border Patrol agent, KRTV reported.

The two women, who are Mexican American, had been chatting in Spanish while waiting in line to pay for eggs and milk when ― to their incredulity ― the agent asked them for their IDs.

Suda told MTN News that even after seeing their IDs, the agent did not let them leave the parking lot for about 35 minutes.

I commend the agent. His job is to investigate anything out of the ordinary to be proactive and these people speaking in a foreign tongue was enough to just take a look into to make sure it was nothing. Had those people been terrorists planning on planting a bomb and the agent passed them by dismissing them, then you'd be on here ranting how our national security sucks!

That’s not the point, dipshit. Two US citizens were racially profiled and detained for speaking Spanish after providing proof of citizenship. And this happened in the United States at a store in Montana.

Get over it. How did Americans become so pathetic and whiny? My nephew in kindergarten, whines less.

I was held by police for 2 hours. I smiled, answered their questions, and when released, waved as I went.

You people are so wussy. How did we get such wussy people in this country? Did none of you have parents that taught you to deal with mild inconvenience in your life?

What were you held for? Was it for speaking the wrong language?

Doesn't matter what reason I was held for. The police have the right to detain people. That's part of the authority given to police, in the duty to enforce the law.

Does not matter. Grow up. GROW UP. Too many snotty teenager mentality brats running around, thinking they should never be stopped for anything. GROW UP.
Yes, apparently it doesn't matter......speaking Spanish is criminal enough in the new America to be detained even tho you show you are a citizen. #MAGA!

Yes, they have the right to stop someone, and check if they are illegal. I was stopped even without specking Spanish! They held me there for 2 hours!

How come I as a white American citizens, who isn't speaking Spanish, can understand that the police have the right to stop me, and you people don't?
Because most people are smart enough to know they do not have unlimited powers, and cannot detain you without reasonable cause. Sorry you missed the memo (or more likely were unable to read it).

You are the one having a cow over nothing....what a stupid thread...when a person is crossing the border they are foreigners until they produce a passport showing they are citizens....tell ya what go find an introductory message board this one is a bit over your ball licking head....

Wow, a whole 35 minutes. Good thing they didn't go through an airport, that would have been 45 minutes standing in line.

OMG, racially profiled. Because it's so much more efficient for the Border Patrol to waste its time talking to ME and pretending there's a huge problem with red-haired white women with Southern accents sneaking across the border.

I'm not saying the guy wasn't something of an overeager douche weasel, but as usual, you lefties jump straight to an hysteria that makes virtually anything look reasonable by comparison.

I can't believe how many pages this thread is. . . .what a stupid issue.

I am not under the belief that even if they had a reason, that they needed to tell me what that reason was.

I'm not so arrogant that if an officer stops me, he has to give me every thought running through his head. Stuff happens. Get over it.
Then you don’t know your rights, or you’re perfectly ok with giving them away to the authorities. Good for you, bootlicker. But if a LEO detains me, they better have a good reason. And simply talking to someone in a language other than English is not reasonable suspicion by any stretch of the imagination.

I know my rights. And I also know that officers do not randomly stop people. Even if they did stop me by accident, say for example... my car just happen to match the description of a suspect car..... get over it? It happens. I am not so self-important, that I'm going to whine and cry, over just being stopped.

I was released. I was not charged with a crime. I was not harmed. Let it go. That's what an adult does. They don't sit there and have a little whine session.

It is not whining to stand up for your Constitutional rights. Speaking Spanish is not probable cause. ICE needs to be held accountable as they seem to think they are above the law.

Did the agents tell them they were questioned because they were speaking Spanish? I'm guessing no, so, it's all supposition on their part.

Two days. That’s how long it will take to have this story debunked and we find out it’s 90% SJW bullshit.

About time the Border Patrol started doing their job. We need more officers like this!

How do you know that Did the cop say that was the reason?
Someone is making assumptions and you're jumping on the band wagon.

You are the one having a cow over nothing....what a stupid thread...when a person is crossing the border they are foreigners until they produce a passport showing they are citizens....tell ya what go find an introductory message board this one is a bit over your ball licking head....

They were not crossing the border, they were in the country buying items in a store

That’s not the point, dipshit. Two US citizens were racially profiled and detained for speaking Spanish after providing proof af citizenship. And this happened in the United States at a store in Montana.

Yet you decide to highlight the whole 35 minutes spent in the parking lot...dumbass.
Yet you decide to excuse two US citizens being detained for speaking Spanish. Even after providing proof of citizenship. You stupid, boot-licking piece of shit
There is nothing wrong with checking. There are literally MILLIONS of illegals in our country. We have to be vigilant if we want to get rid of them.
Too many white mass shooters when are we gonna start profiling and harassing whites ?
Let's take a look and see if there are too many. There are well over 300,000,000 people in the US. How many mass shooters do we have?

Speaking German is not probably cause. Logically someone who crossed the border illegally would speak Spanish not German. Logic wins.

Speaking German is not probably cause. Logically someone who crossed the border illegally would speak Spanish not German. Logic wins.

Speaking Spanish is not probable cause either. The CONSTITUTION should win not a police state.

Next time speak English. See if that resolves the problem...

That is exactly what a Nazi would say. We have something called freedom in this country. That means you can speak any language you want.

You think we are free in this nation?

Seriously?

Someone already pointed out the Partiot Act, and/or the NDAA.

There is no freedom left. It died on 9/11.

They were too ready to kill it then. Almost like it was written before......

Forum List

Back