U.S. Citizens Say They Were Detained By Border Patrol Agent For ‘Speaking Spanish’

I'm pretty sure if I didn't speak Spanish, the Mexican authorities, just based on my skin color, would check my citizen status if I were wandering around Mexico. . . .

I'm not really sure why folks are acting all insane over this. . .
So, we should be more like Mexico?

U.S. Citizens Say They Were Detained By Border Patrol Agent For ‘Speaking Spanish’

Two U.S. citizens said they were detained last week by a Border Patrol agent in Montana after he overheard them speaking Spanish to each other in a convenience store.

Ana Suda and Mimi Hernandez said they’d popped into the store in Havre, a small town near the border with Canada, early Wednesday morning when they were approached by a uniformed Border Patrol agent, KRTV reported.

The two women, who are Mexican American, had been chatting in Spanish while waiting in line to pay for eggs and milk when ― to their incredulity ― the agent asked them for their IDs.

Suda told MTN News that even after seeing their IDs, the agent did not let them leave the parking lot for about 35 minutes.
The border patrol has the right and the duty to detain anyone they find suspicious in any way...now go cry to people that give a rip...America is no longer open to illegal aliens...those days are over so you and Pelosi will have to get new voters the old fashion way...earn them...
These were US citizens detained AFTER showing their identification.

Anything else, bootlicker?
You are correct, this should not have happened. They can still ask for ID but maybe not detain, the story has to have more to it.

Get over it. How did Americans become so pathetic and whiny? My nephew in kindergarten, whines less.

I was held by police for 2 hours. I smiled, answered their questions, and when released, waved as I went.

You people are so wussy. How did we get such wussy people in this country? Did none of you have parents that taught you to deal with mild inconvenience in your life?

What were you held for? Was it for speaking the wrong language?

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Doesn't matter what reason I was held for. The police have the right to detain people. That's part of the authority given to police, in the duty to enforce the law.

Does not matter. Grow up. GROW UP. Too many snotty teenager mentality brats running around, thinking they should never be stopped for anything. GROW UP.
Yes, apparently it doesn't matter......speaking Spanish is criminal enough in the new America to be detained even tho you show you are a citizen. #MAGA!

Yes, they have the right to stop someone, and check if they are illegal. I was stopped even without specking Spanish! They held me there for 2 hours!

How come I as a white American citizens, who isn't speaking Spanish, can understand that the police have the right to stop me, and you people don't?

What gives them that right? What was their probable cause for doing so?

Or do you believe the police need no reason at all.

I have no idea. Whether they need a reason, is for someone else to figure out.

I am not under the belief that even if they had a reason, that they needed to tell me what that reason was.

I'm not so arrogant that if an officer stops me, he has to give me every thought running through his head. Stuff happens. Get over it.

I'm pretty sure if I didn't speak Spanish, the Mexican authorities, just based on my skin color, would check my citizen status if I were wandering around Mexico. . . .

And that is your standard for America...to do it like Mexico does?

Now a big fan of Liberty or freedom is see

So, we should be more like Mexico?
Sure.

We should be a sane country. We should have border controls like every other nation on the face of the planet.

Doesn't matter what reason I was held for. The police have the right to detain people. That's part of the authority given to police, in the duty to enforce the law.

Does not matter. Grow up. GROW UP. Too many snotty teenager mentality brats running around, thinking they should never be stopped for anything. GROW UP.
Yes, apparently it doesn't matter......speaking Spanish is criminal enough in the new America to be detained even tho you show you are a citizen. #MAGA!

Yes, they have the right to stop someone, and check if they are illegal. I was stopped even without specking Spanish! They held me there for 2 hours!

How come I as a white American citizens, who isn't speaking Spanish, can understand that the police have the right to stop me, and you people don't?

I am not under the belief that even if they had a reason, that they needed to tell me what that reason was.

I'm not so arrogant that if an officer stops me, he has to give me every thought running through his head. Stuff happens. Get over it.
Then you don’t know your rights, or you’re perfectly ok with giving them away to the authorities. Good for you, bootlicker. But if a LEO detains me, they better have a good reason. And simply talking to someone in a language other than English is not reasonable suspicion by any stretch of the imagination.

I was held by police for 2 hours. I smiled, answered their questions, and when released, waved as I went.
Did they provide a napkin to wipe your chin?

No, you worthless pile of Trash. And they didn't give me a plastic bag, to carry you out to the dumpster with, either.
So, you swallowed

You are a just a trashy and worthless person. If you seriously have nothing more to offer in this thread, then I'm going to put you on ignore, and forget you ever existed.

This is your last chance. Either grow up, or get ignored forever. I'll debate adults, but toddlers who apparently failed to get out of their diapers, are not worth my time.

And you and those like you are the reason we are losing rights and freedoms.

For the record, they do have to give you the reason and it is your right to ask the reason.

The two women, who are Mexican American, had been chatting in Spanish while waiting in line to pay for eggs and milk when ― to their incredulity ― the agent asked them for their IDs.

Suda told MTN News that even after seeing their IDs, the agent did not let them leave the parking lot for about 35 minutes.
They were going to pay? That should have been a tip off.

Then you don’t know your rights, or you’re perfectly ok with giving them away to the authorities. Good for you, bootlicker. But if a LEO detains me, they better have a good reason. And simply talking to someone in a language other than English is not reasonable suspicion by any stretch of the imagination.

I know my rights. And I also know that officers do not randomly stop people. Even if they did stop me by accident, say for example... my car just happen to match the description of a suspect car..... get over it? It happens. I am not so self-important, that I'm going to whine and cry, over just being stopped.

I was released. I was not charged with a crime. I was not harmed. Let it go. That's what an adult does. They don't sit there and have a little whine session.

For the record, they do have to give you the reason and it is your right to ask the reason.

Yep. People get petrified when dealing with the police. You have rights. Take advantage of them

Is that a joke? It isn't the right wing, that has actively tried to destroy the careers of other people, because they made a comment we didn't like. It isn't the right-wing that is trying to stop people from practicing their faith. It isn't the right-wing that is protesting speakers on college campuses, because they hold a different view than us.

Trust me... if there is any loss of freedom, it is almost entirely due to the left.

Forum List

Back