U.S. Bridges, Roads Being Built by Chinese Firms

Why? We get a bridge for cheap.

Wasn't the point of Obama's big infrastructure plan to employ American workers? I mean I haven't done a great deal of research on this yet so I can't be sure, but if the money came from stimulus apportionments meant to stimulate our economy and create jobs, I'd say handing it over to China is a bit counter-productive, wouldn't you?

Why? We get a bridge for cheap.

Wasn't the point of Obama's big infrastructure plan to employ American workers? I mean I haven't done a great deal of research on this yet so I can't be sure, but if the money came from stimulus apportionments meant to stimulate our economy and create jobs, I'd say handing it over to China is a bit counter-productive, wouldn't you?

Ohh it increases productivity greatly.
Hire cheap immigrant labor and buy imported products really increses the productivity factor.
Think of the rise in the stock price because of the increased profits by the corporations getting the contracts.
It's the economy Stupid!

LMAO

Hire cheap immigrant labor and buy imported products really increses the productivity factor.
Think of the rise in the stock price because of the increased profits by the corporations getting the contracts.
It's the economy Stupid!

LMAO

There are no corporations getting the contracts (at least not in regard to these particular projects). It's Chinese state-run contractors that are getting the contracts...IOW, the Chinese government.

It's the economy Stupid!

LMAO

There are no corporations getting the contracts (at least not in regard to these particular projects). It's Chinese state-run contractors that are getting the contracts...IOW, the Chinese government.

UMM This!:
U.S. Bridges, Roads Being Built by Chinese Firms

This is what happens when labor prices itself out of the market. Unintended consequences are a bitch.

My thoughts exactly. This is yet another example of unions having a negative effect on the workers they represent. They drive wages sky high and then wonder why even liberal states like California and New York go somewhere else with their contracts.

Well, if we get a useful bridge (Which is the goal here) productivity increases because costs of transportation go down and so does gasoline use.

As for stimulus, that is always crap.

The WPA projects of the 30s were done correctly. The highway 101 bridges on the Oregon coast that are so famous went from initial proposal to opening day in 19 months. One of the big stimulus deals here now is the replacement for the Selwood bridge which was initially proposed in 2007 and granted stimulus funds (mostly already expended) immediately, but they didn't turn a shovel on the project until december of last year. Most of the money went for studies and environmental impact statements. They are going to need another expensive tranche to actually build the bridge which will take another two years.

Forum List

Back