U.S.-Backed Alliance Appears to Win in Lebanon

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
BEIRUT, Lebanon — An American-backed alliance appeared to retain control of the Lebanese Parliament on Sunday in a hotly contested election that had been billed as a showdown between Tehran and Washington for influence in the Middle East.

Preliminary results reported on Lebanese television showed the alliance, known as the March 14 coalition, had managed to preserve its majority in Parliament. If those results are confirmed, they would represent a significant and unexpected defeat for Hezbollah and its allies, Iran and Syria. Most polls had showed a tight race, but one in which the Hezbollah-led group would win.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/08/world/middleeast/08lebanon.html?_r=1

The extremists in Iran are next.....

obama.....looool

you're such a hack...obama has not been in office long enough to claim responsibility for the economy, iraq, afghanistan, pakistan, but, he gets praise if "anything" seems or goes positive....

I am enjoying this...

Obama is defeating the evil political forces in the world.

First the Republicans, then the Taliban, now Hezbollah, next comes Iran.....

It is amazing what real leadership can do.

Chevez should be getting nervous...

This is no different from the parliment that Lebanon had previously--during the BUSH administration--an American backed coalition--LOL. It's the same Parliment.

Frankly, I am disappointed--I would have much rather have seen a complete wipe-out of Hezbollah in the final voting data.

A "close" race suggests that there are still many supporters of Hezbollah. They are still a powerful force in Lebanon & still have a much stronger militia--backed by Syria & Iran than the Lebanese government.

One would have thought that after the latest incident of Hezbollah starting another conflict with Isreal by firing missles into their homeland--& Isreal retataliating by leveling whole sections of Lebanon that the Lebanonese would get a bad taste in their mouths over Hezbollah. Apparently--not yet.

Basically the OPT of this thread is giving credit to OBAMA--for NO CHANGE. I guess there went the hopeynchangey of it all--

And here is Hezbollah's response to losing as quoted in the article: "Hezbollah has said that it would work to build what it called a “culture of resistance,” and define the enemy of Lebanon as Israel and the United States. It also said it would make it a high priority to build a strong national military. NO CHANGE HERE EITHER!

Wouldn't it be nice before people post a new thread they do a little history--study of what they're talking about first?

Last edited:
I am enjoying this...

keep proving yourself the idiot you are

This is no different from the parliment that Lebanon had previously. I would have much rather have seen a complete wipe-out of Hezbollah in the polls.

A "close" race suggests that there are still many supporters of Hezbollah. They are still a powerful force in Lebanon & still have a much stronger militia--backed by Syria & Iran than the Lebanese government.

One would have thought that after the latest incident of Hezbollah starting another conflict with Isreal by firing missles into their homeland--& Isreal retataliating by leveling whole sections of Lebanon that the Lebanonese would get a bad taste in their mouths over Hezbollah. Apparently--not yet.

Basically the OPT of this thread is giving credit to OBAMA--for NO CHANGE. I guess there went the hopeynchangey of it all--LOL

Wouldn't it be nice before people post a new thread they do a little study of what they're talking about first?

Most polls had showed a tight race, but one in which the Hezbollah-led group would win.

Wouldn't it be nice before people post they do a little study of what they are posting about?

Absolutely.

When are you going to start?

Why would anyone claim that either Obama or Bush had anything to do with Lebanon's parliament?

Sure, we have our preference as to which party gets voted in. But I don't think that Bush or Obama or anyone from the US was campaigning for or giving money to one party over another.

The whole thing is ridiculous...but it good that the good guys won.

Why would anyone claim that either Obama or Bush had anything to do with Lebanon's parliament?

Sure, we have our preference as to which party gets voted in. But I don't think that Bush or Obama or anyone from the US was campaigning for or giving money to one party over another.

The whole thing is ridiculous...but it good that the good guys won.
chris is a fucking idiot

I am enjoying this...

the dogs and cats in Virginia should be nervous with you in the state.

I am enjoying this...

Enjoying being a retard? Perhaps you should look at your goofy-ass self from someone else's eyes.

This is no different from the parliment that Lebanon had previously. I would have much rather have seen a complete wipe-out of Hezbollah in the polls.

Basically the OPT of this thread is giving credit to OBAMA--for NO CHANGE. I guess there went the hopeynchangey of it all--LOL

Wouldn't it be nice before people post a new thread they do a little study of what they're talking about first?

Most polls had showed a tight race, but one in which the Hezbollah-led group would win.

Wouldn't it be nice before people post they do a little study of what they are posting about?

Absolutely.

Not any nicer than posting factual thread titles. When are YOU going to start?

Absolutely.

dont hold our breath

Absolutely.

Gunny, is there anything you can do to get rid of Chris' avatar? You see, I am going to be watching some old James Bond films over the next couple days, and I don't want to be thinking of Bond as a douchebag.

Absolutely.

Gunny, is there anything you can do to get rid of Chris' avatar? You see, I am going to be watching some old James Bond films over the next couple days, and I don't want to be thinking of Bond as a douchebag.

Even douchebags have a right to aspire to greater heights.:lol:

Even douchebags have a right to aspire to greater heights.:lol:

damn. I'll have to watch the Roger Moore ones, I guess.:lol:

Forum List

Back