U.S. Air Force C-17 Globemaster plane lands at Peter O. Knight Airport

American_Jihad

Flaming Libs/Koranimals
May 1, 2012
Gulf of Mex 26.609, -82.220
That's a big airplane.

I was amazed the first time I saw cargo planes land and take off at the Quantico Air Facility. I thought it was just a small base for HMX-1 but fixed winged craft use it as well.

7/20/12

Photo Gallery: Air Force plane lands at Peter O. Knight

U.S. Air Force C-17 Globemaster plane lands at Peter O. Knight Airport | wtsp.com

Residents of Davis Island got an unusual sight Friday afternoon: A large military cargo plane "inadvertently" landed at Peter O. Knight Airport instead of MacDill Air Force Base.

That's one big-ass plane. Probably have to strap a couple JATO units on it to take off again.

7/20/12

U.S. Air Force C-17 Globemaster plane lands at Peter O. Knight Airport | wtsp.com

Residents of Davis Island got an unusual sight Friday afternoon: A large military cargo plane "inadvertently" landed at Peter O. Knight Airport instead of MacDill Air Force Base.

That's one big-ass plane. Probably have to strap a couple JATO units on it to take off again.

Empty, 3,000 feet is enough and that runway is just over.
The extra thrust would be a bad idea but may not be needed.

According to the Boeing company's website, the "C-17 can carry large equipment, supplies and troops directly to small airfields in harsh terrain anywhere in the world day or night. The massive, sturdy, long-haul aircraft tackles distance, destination and heavy, oversized payloads in unpredictable conditions. It has delivered cargo in every worldwide operation since the 1990s."

The plane can take off from a 7,600-foot airfield and land in 3,000 feet or less on a small unpaved or paved airfield in day or night, according to Boeing.

After spending much of the afternoon still on the tarmac, the plane finally took off.

Large military cargo plane bound for MacDill AFB lands at wrong airport

7,600 feet is required for takeoff at maximum weight.

So it wasn't fully loaded.

They're awesome planes. I first saw one at Eielson AFB in AK in the early '90s. It was up there for cold weather testing. Once the test series was done, they had an open house for base personnel.

Well, at least they weren't working on the runway at Peter O. Knight.

C17%20Launch%20Over%20Crew.jpg

7/20/12

One flew over my head a few months ago. It was getting ready to land. It was low and slow and very intimidating. a great sight to see up close from below. It's HUGE

After spending much of the afternoon still on the tarmac, the plane finally took off.

From a 3,000 ft runway.

QED I think.

And yes, awesome machine.
I have a great love of fixed wing pretty much anything and that is a beautiful monster.

You think they look big in a pic,you should see one in person,they are huge,got to go in one at an air show years ago,We used to live just north of Fort Bragg NC they would come into Pope air base in groups,they look like they just hang in the air at low attitudes lumbering along,you wonder ow they can even fly.

You think they look big in a pic,you should see one in person,they are huge,got to go in one at an air show years ago,We used to live just north of Fort Bragg NC they would come into Pope air base in groups,they look like they just hang in the air at low attitudes lumbering along,you wonder ow they can even fly.

I once asked a C-141 pilot how that thing stayed in the air due to its size. He said it is so powerful that the real chore is holding it back.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6g91O-jaT4]Military C-17 cargo plane taking off from Peter O. Knight Airport on Davis Islands - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HILFkFKtV9o]Air Force C-17 Globemaster Takeoff From Peter O'Knight Airport - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=805M1svwp_8]C-17 Taking off from Peter O. Knight - YouTube[/ame]

-17 Globemaster plane lands at Peter O. Knight - Google Search

Very nice videos of a beautiful monster.
I see it even had a bit of runway to spare.

Forum List

Back