U.S. adds 200,000 jobs in Dec.; unemployment drops to 8.5%

Except union jobs only account for a very small part of the private sector.
Wrong again.

If you can't explain why we need lots of factory jobs then you are an uneducated moron.
Actually you probably are anyway.
The truth, btw, is that we manufacture every bit as much as we always did. We have fewer people doing it not because of off-shoring but because of greater efficiency. We grow as much stuff as ever too even though the number of people in agriculture is at an all-time low.

China is on pace to surprass us as the largest manufacturer by 2016. No, things are not hunky-dory in manufacturing right now, we've lost 25 million manufacturing jobs since 1980. And the service jobs aren't as good.

Yes, technology has improved, but we are posting annual trade deficits of 500 Billion a year.

In 1980, we were the world's biggest importer of raw materials and the world's largest exporter of finished goods. Now we are the world's largest exporter of raw materials and the largest importer of finished goods.

They have a phrase for that.

Third World Country.

Brought to you by bad trade policies and Bain Capital.

china is a boogie man, used by one and all, from the pentagon to anti trade folks.

bain capital? yea ok then, I expected better from you, seriously.

china is a boogie man, used by one and all, from the pentagon to anti trade folks.

bain capital? yea ok then, I expected better from you, seriously.

We are strapping ourselves to a demographic time bomb with China. A country with a history of violent upheavels and right now, there's a lot of bad stuff bubbling under the surface with them.

And we have big corporations that just can't wait to shutter factories in this country and move them over there so they can save a penny a unit.

Something you can comfort yourself with when Obama gets a second term.

The reality- we still haven't addressed the real problems of our economy because the people who really run things aren't done grinding down the American Middle Class yet. But neither party is ready to address THAT issue.

He might. He might not.

But your case is hard to make given that as recently as 2007 the unemployment rate was about 5%, and had been that for nearly a decade.
I see that bigotry has made you stupid, as it always does.

It was 4.2% when Bush took office, got up to 6.3%, and down to 5.5%. After that wild ride, people still re-elected Bush.

This time, it was 7.8 when Obama took office, hit a high of 10% and is now down to 8.5%. It could be below 7.5% by November, and if so, Obama can claim success. Doesn't deserve to, the bigger problems aren't being addressed and he's drinking the same Free Trade Koolaid that the rest of the establishment is drinking.

Obama's not running against 2007, he's running against the situation he found in 2009 when he took office. I think his performance has been limp, but not enough to vote for degenerate like Romney.

It was closer to 8.3%. 7.8% was from Jan 1st. Obama's inauguration was Jan 22nd.

The economy was in free fall.

Anyway, compare to Reagan: Unemployment was 7.4% Feb 1, 1981, and 8.3% by this time in his term. But falling, after going over 10%.

The Pubs have made a big mistake on running against the economy. The longer it takes them to realize it, the better.

Except union jobs only account for a very small part of the private sector.
Wrong again.

If you can't explain why we need lots of factory jobs then you are an uneducated moron.
Actually you probably are anyway.
The truth, btw, is that we manufacture every bit as much as we always did. We have fewer people doing it not because of off-shoring but because of greater efficiency. We grow as much stuff as ever too even though the number of people in agriculture is at an all-time low.

China is on pace to surprass us as the largest manufacturer by 2016. No, things are not hunky-dory in manufacturing right now, we've lost 25 million manufacturing jobs since 1980. And the service jobs aren't as good.

Yes, technology has improved, but we are posting annual trade deficits of 500 Billion a year.

In 1980, we were the world's biggest importer of raw materials and the world's largest exporter of finished goods. Now we are the world's largest exporter of raw materials and the largest importer of finished goods.

They have a phrase for that.

Third World Country.

Brought to you by bad trade policies and Bain Capital.

The US is still the largest manufacturer in the world.
We have lost thousands of farm jobs since the 1890s. I dont see people clamoring to get them back. Manufacturing isnt much different.
You still havent explained why manufacturing jobs are the holy grail. Probably because you have no idea. Just something you heard once and it sounded good.
The only bad trade policies we've had are the ones that impose restrictions on free trade.

OBAMA IS THE WORST JOBS PRESIDENT EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16998d1326042559-u-6-rate-is-15-2-labor-force-participation_1.jpg

This is the germane fact. The only reason unemployment is down is because the BLS is furiously and desperate not counting long term unemployed people in order to fudge the numbers.

If we were at the same LFPR level when Obama took office, U3 unemployment would be over 11%.

Running against the economy is a mistake, my friend. The smarter Republicans are already looking for ways to take credit for it. You should probably jump on that train.

Just some free advice, my friend.

He might. He might not.

But your case is hard to make given that as recently as 2007 the unemployment rate was about 5%, and had been that for nearly a decade.
I see that bigotry has made you stupid, as it always does.

It was 4.2% when Bush took office, got up to 6.3%, and down to 5.5%. After that wild ride, people still re-elected Bush.

This time, it was 7.8 when Obama took office, hit a high of 10% and is now down to 8.5%. It could be below 7.5% by November, and if so, Obama can claim success. Doesn't deserve to, the bigger problems aren't being addressed and he's drinking the same Free Trade Koolaid that the rest of the establishment is drinking.

Obama's not running against 2007, he's running against the situation he found in 2009 when he took office. I think his performance has been limp, but not enough to vote for degenerate like Romney.

You realize even 6% is historically pretty good. And that was high mark of Bush's tenure.
So obviously job growth was fine under Bush and all the screaming about off-shoring is coming from people with very short memories.
But I never understood the fixation with factory jobs. WHo the hell wants to work in a factory?

There were fewer private sector jobs at the end of Bush's tenure than there were when he began.

But you're right - there were some good years in there. It's just that the last one really, really sucked.

Go Obama!!!!!

KissMy said:
Hi, you have received -116 reputation points from KissMy.
Reputation was given for this post.

Comment:
Idiot

Regards,
KissMy

Note: This is an automated message.

KissMy negged me for the above post. Holy shit, for only saying "Go Obama!!!!!"

He negged me, too, with the same comment. I'm guessing it's gotta be really sticking in his craw. Which is fine with me.

:D

"Go Obama!!!!!"

You realize even 6% is historically pretty good. And that was high mark of Bush's tenure.
So obviously job growth was fine under Bush and all the screaming about off-shoring is coming from people with very short memories.

Actualy, the high point was 7.8 when he left. and the economy was bleeding jobs at that point.

And, yes, the offshoring is a problem. Replacing good paying union jobs with benefits with jobs at Wal Mart without benefits isn't an improvement, it's a step back.

But I never understood the fixation with factory jobs. WHo the hell wants to work in a factory?

I work in a factory, and I rather enjoy it. Mind you, I'm in the office, but I go down to the line pretty often to make sure things are going well.

If you don't understand why we need manufacturing capability, then I can only conclude you are some kind of high-functioning retard or something.

We don't NEED to build cars and trains and planes ourselves. We can just buy all that stuff from China. As long as it's cheaper. Right?

1) Obamination claimed the Porkulus would keep unemployment below 8% yet you idiots are celebrating 8.5%.

2) Seasonal hires over the holiday season inflated the numbers.

3) Some people are no longer being reported as out of work since they quit looking.

4) The DoD budget cuts to cover Obamination's pork spending will quickly drive unemployment back up once troops and civilians are laid off in the next 1-2 years.

1.) You're a lying liar, who's lying.

2.) The numbers are seasonally adjusted.

3.) Some people are always not reported because they're not looking. That's not some new thing that only just started today, dumbass.

4.) What? Let me get this straight. Oh, never mind.

It's not worth it.

There were fewer private sector jobs at the end of Bush's tenure than there were when he began.

But you're right - there were some good years in there. It's just that the last one really, really sucked.

The economy lost 653K private sector jobs during Bush's eight years; it's lost 1,053K during Obama's to date. If 653K is bad, then you must think that over a million lost jobs is even worse.

And if you really want to dig in:

Temporary Help Service workers decreased by 596K during Bush's eight years, so the entire decrease can be attributed to temporary workers. Temporary Help Service employment has increased by 335K during the Obama era, which means an even greater loss in full time jobs.

Last edited:
Funny thing is Obama's war on businesses and banks is not helping the economy. The fact that the House GOP tamped down to the fear that it was causing is ignored.

Btw, which states are most of these jobs being created in? Texas, North Dakota, Wisconsin?

Isn't Obama and other liberals doing everything in their power to attack these states or prevent job creation in these states? Isn't Wisconsin trying to recall their governor yet 30% of the new jobs are being created there? Isn't the fact that Obama is putting off the Keystone project costing us 200,000 good paying jobs as we speak?

Last edited:
BTW....why in the hell are the Democrats doing handsprings over a lousy 8.5%.

Bush averaged 5.9%.

On his worst day he never had 8.5%.

Obama has the worst employment rate since FDR and he's bragging about it.

Bush averaged 5.9%.

I remember when the left was shouting that 5.9% unemployment was the equivalent of the Great Depression.

This is the germane fact. The only reason unemployment is down is because the BLS is furiously and desperate not counting long term unemployed people in order to fudge the numbers.

If we were at the same LFPR level when Obama took office, U3 unemployment would be over 11%.

BLS DATA

Bush averaged 5.9%.

I remember when the left was shouting that 5.9% unemployment was the equivalent of the Great Depression.

I remember they said that the 3 or 4 million jobs he created were all low paying entry-level jobs.

How the heck do they know anyway?

The economy lost 653K private sector jobs during Bush's eight years; it's lost 1,053K during Obama's to date. If 653K is bad, then you must think that over a million lost jobs is even worse.

Temporary Help Service workers decreased by 596K during Bush's eight years, so the entire decrease can be attributed to temporary workers. Temporary Help Service employment has increased by 335K during the Obama era, which means an even greater loss in full time jobs.

Well, your numbers are wrong.

Bush:
2009-02-01 110,260,000
2001-02-01 111,624,000
.................... -1,364,000

Obama:
2011-12-01 109,928,000
2009-02-01 110,260,000
...................... -332 000

That's private sector workers from the establishment survey.
You can find the number here: http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/data/USPRIV.txt

The good thing for Obama is that Bush's 8 years are over. Obama still has 5 years left. And more importantly, Obama's numbers are moving in the right direction. 200k+ jobs were created last month. At that rate, there will be another 2 million more jobs by the time the election rolls around.

Well, your numbers are wrong.

Bush:
2009-02-01 110,260,000
2001-02-01 111,624,000
.................... -1,364,000

Obama:
2011-12-01 109,928,000
2009-02-01 110,260,000
...................... -332 000

That's private sector workers from the establishment survey.
You can find the number here: http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/data/USPRIV.txt

The good thing for Obama is that Bush's 8 years are over. Obama still has 5 years left. And more importantly, Obama's numbers are moving in the right direction. 200k+ jobs were created last month. At that rate, there will be another 2 million more jobs by the time the election rolls around.

No, you are using the wrong data. The relevant starting months are January, not February. The BLS data is the end of the month, not the beginning (moron).

(000s):

January, 2001: 111,634K
January, 2009: 110,981K
.................... -653K

January, 2009: 110,981K
December, 2012: 109,928K
.................... -1,053K

Bush averaged 5.9%.

His worst day being the day he left office, leaving Obama an economy that was losing 800k jobs a month.

Bush averaged 5.9%.

I remember they said that the 3 or 4 million jobs he created were all low paying entry-level jobs.

How the heck do they know anyway?
Or Gubmint jobs tied to SEIU?:eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back