U.S. Adds 103,000 Jobs in December, Unemployment at 9.4%

Someone in China undoubtedly.

Don't think for a minute that CAD machines are a domain that high priced US labor can dominate for long.

They make those machines in China and Taiwan. In fact I would bet that the very machines rdean was referring to came from Taiwan.

There is nothing we can learn to make that China can't make for pennies on our dollar.

All we have to count on is work that simply cannot be outsourced.

constant innovation and creative destruction.

when India and China figures it ALL out; the secret being keeping your intellectual youth at home and creating a simplified pretty much hands off biz environment and we stay on our current trajectory, woe is us.

when India and China figures it ALL out; the secret being keeping your intellectual youth at home and creating a simplified pretty much hands off biz environment

exactly. They won't even need to import big brains, they are already 1/5 and 1/4 of the world respectively, they just have to keep the best and brightest and send the rest of their surplus population abroad to secure resources.

China will be colonizing the world in ten years. And it will be almost invisible.

Russia just refused to allow China to build Chinese manufacturing cities inside of Russia. I imagine Russia understood that doing so would gradually compromise their territorial claims.

Last edited:

Don't think for a minute that CAD machines are a domain that high priced US labor can dominate for long.

They make those machines in China and Taiwan. In fact I would bet that the very machines rdean was referring to came from Taiwan.

There is nothing we can learn to make that China can't make for pennies on our dollar.

High quality CNC machines are made in the USA. The iPods assembled in China and made in China are designed here and the equipment used to manufacture is either made or designed here or both.

India is not really building up the infrastructure. It's a democracy, like us and like us, get's paralyzed when it comes to rebuilding their country.

China has put out a stimulus package and is building up their infrastructure.

However, how come China hasn't overtaken our engineers? I think I'll wait to answer that.

Donald Trump Continues His Warning About China [Video]

I know China. I know many of the people in China. I know many of the big business people. And they’re laughing at us. They think we’re stupid and our representatives are so stupid, that they can’t even believe what they’re getting away with.
They take our money. They suck it out of us. We charge them virtually no tax and no tax, and they loan it back to us. And then they have our treasury bills. And they say, oh, gee, we have to be afraid of China because they have our treasury bills.
It’s ridiculous. And, you know, again, the problem with our country is, we don’t manufacture anything anymore, I mean, very little. China is doing all — I just bid furniture out on a major project I’m doing, and I have six bids. Every bit of furniture is being made from China.

Last edited by a moderator:
I for one don't label him a radical for bringing it up, I just don't quite agree with his idea of a fix, or that is his perspective. yes we need to find a way to make on shore production and manufacturing enviable AND viable.

For instance how does he feel about free trade agreements? he thinks it harmful. That is not a sensible position imho.

"Free" trade agreement isn't enough. It has to be a "fair" trade agreement.

Republicans and their employers, big corporations, think only about money and profit. The miss the "big picture". If they are going to invest overseas and let America fall apart, eventually, they will move overseas, at least we can only hope.

If you have millions of Chinese living in dorms, working 60 to 70 hours a week, and making 51 cents an hour with the government setting up cafeterias and ignoring pollution, then we can't compete with that. We never will. Americans would rather live in tents than in dorms.

I have a friend who heads a "machine shop". Their money maker was "railroad" spikes. They made tens of thousands of those spikes until that business was moved to Mexico. So they had two choices, expand or go out of business.
So they sent their guys out for training. They purchased the most modern CNC machines, MasterCam and new computers.
Now, they make high precision parts for the medical and aerospace industries. It's a lot more work. It doesn't bring in the same money as tens of thousands of railroad spikes. They have to continually go back to school and stay up on new technology. But they are working full shifts and sometimes working overtime. In fact, the machine operators had to be given raises because they were suddenly in demand.
That is how we compete. We become better.

Does anyone believe that will happen under a Republican Administration? Seriously?

I don't see any reason it wouldn't. If a company wants to remain in business they will do so. If they wimp out, they wimp out. Someone somewhere will pick up the slack.

When you have an entire political party working against investing in the US and working against education and working to move jobs overseas, no will "pick up the slack". Fighting the rest of the world as well as the Republican Party is simply too much.

The U.S. spends more per pupil for far lower results than any other developed country.

We are not underspending on education.

And your CFLs, solar panels, and EV batteries!

Oh, the irony!

Thank the American EPA.

An environmental protection official in an eastern China county has been suspended for improper supervision and poor law enforcement after an investigation showed that a battery manufacturing plant located alongside a densely-populated community was responsible for lead poisoning that sickened over 200 children.

Twenty-eight of the victims were hospitalized, local authorities said Saturday.

Lead Poisoning, Environment Official Suspended

Chinese investors shoot Zambian miners for complaining of working conditions

Chinese workers assemblying Apple Inc. laptops and iPhones have become ill from breathing chemicals, Australian Broadcasting Corporation reported today, citing stricken workers.

Apple iPhone Assembly Workers in China Ill From Fumes, ABC Says - BusinessWeek

The official Xinhua News Agency reported that 37 of them were still in a hospital Friday after inhaling fumes at work Thursday.

Workplace accidents kill thousands in China every year in part because of lax enforcement of safety rules and poor worker training.

Chemical leak sickens 62 workers at China factory | al.com

At least 82 workers fall ill after inhaling chemicals in China

Tens of billions of yuan have been used to treat newborn babies with defects every year, with one defect birth happening every 30 seconds in China, experts warn.

Statistics from the Ministry of Health show that about 30 million families have children with some defects, accounting for 10 percent of the total number of families in China as of 2006. (Could you imagine 10% of all children being born defective?)

Birth defects cost China tens of billions every year

China Contributes 20% in the World?s Birth Defects Rate | TopNews United Kingdom

Revere get's neg repped for shear stupidity.

Yes we are. Administration, pensions, lavish facilities, swapping out perfectly good textbooks for politically correct versions....

High quality CNC machines are made in the USA. The iPods assembled in China and made in China are designed here and the equipment used to manufacture is either made or designed here or both.

India is not really building up the infrastructure. It's a democracy, like us and like us, get's paralyzed when it comes to rebuilding their country.

China has put out a stimulus package and is building up their infrastructure.

However, how come China hasn't overtaken our engineers? I think I'll wait to answer that.

Donald Trump Continues His Warning About China [Video]

I know China. I know many of the people in China. I know many of the big business people. And they’re laughing at us. They think we’re stupid and our representatives are so stupid, that they can’t even believe what they’re getting away with.
They take our money. They suck it out of us. We charge them virtually no tax and no tax, and they loan it back to us. And then they have our treasury bills. And they say, oh, gee, we have to be afraid of China because they have our treasury bills.
It’s ridiculous. And, you know, again, the problem with our country is, we don’t manufacture anything anymore, I mean, very little. China is doing all — I just bid furniture out on a major project I’m doing, and I have six bids. Every bit of furniture is being made from China.

The reason engineers in China haven't overtaken ours is simple. In China, the country that Republicans seem to love, education is by "slots". The better you "test" the more choices you have. The highest testing students don't go into "engineering", they go into "banking and finance". Couple their education in "money" and "family connections" and you can see where the "elite" in China come from.

Since the EPA is almost non-existent in China, who want's to be a chemical engineer and die at 35 from toxic poisoning? I previously added links where engineers who graduated at the top of their class in China, went on to "sales" or "distribution" or someplace where there is more money and it's "safer".

China is headed towards it's own problems. Does anyone seriously believe that you can continue to have people working 60 to 70 hours a week for 51 cents an hour and living in dorms continue to do so when their "masters" are making millions? If they jump off buildings and commit suicide, how long before they "fight back"? Dead is dead.

I don't understand why Republicans defend that and want that here? I just don't get it?

Last edited by a moderator:
And the Union guy in an American Unionized manufacturing plant gets paid $18 an hour to sweep the floors.

Is he worth it?

Clearly it would be more cost effective to get the kids themselves to service their own facilities.

Or if the work was too hard we could have chosen cheap prison labor to service our public schools.

Or even wetbacks.

I don't understand why Republicans defend that and want that here? I just don't get it?

It's true, you just don't get it.

Republicans defend that and want that there!

The whole point of globalization and offshoring is to preserve some income stream while deferring or externalizing all the environmental damage, workplace safety problems etc to distant continents.

Better to keep oil processing plants, toxic metals refinery, mining and oil drilling a continent away than to have to risk a Maconda scale event inside the USA. Same applies to garbage processing, which is why the west coasts ships most of our garbage to china for recycling and disposal.

How are they funding these 100,000 new positions? By printing money out of thin air. Lovely.
Enjoy the inflation.

The economy and employment picture is doing better.

Just not better enough.

Given how very close we were to complete meltdown and how we have structurally screwed up our nation and economy, any recovery at all is a miracle.

The economy and employment picture is doing better.

Just not better enough.

Given how very close we were to complete meltdown and how we have structurally screwed up our nation and economy, any recovery at all is a miracle.

It is doing better, and I think that was predictable more than miraculous.

But folly begins when you start expecting a return to the normalcy of 1998 or 2007. That would take a miracle imo.

The employment & economic situation has not been improving. The Republican tax cuts & all the temporary hiring for the holiday season barely turned the falling employment ratio.

fredgraph.png

Bernanke announced that "the recovery has finally taken hold". If that is true, maybe it is time to short stocks....:lol:

the bizzaro world of investing makes fools of us all.

how many times has the master of the universe made such a statement...3- 5- 8?:lol:

when we start creating say, 300k a month for a quarter I will beleive, until then......its a back and forth mish mash of smoke and mirrors.

Not that bernanke is credible at all, but technically the recession has been over since 2009? Summer?

That of course means nothing.

Forum List

Back