U.S.A. got warm reception at the Olympics

krisy

Mar 30, 2004
Ohio
Did anyone watch the opening ceremonies for the Olympics last night? The U.S. probably got the loudest cheer of them all when their atheletes were anounced. Bob Costas and Katie Couric :puke3: were hosting the events. Of course,after the loud cheer for the U.S.,Costas proceeded to say that people are able to differ between the citizens and the government,making for the loud cheers. In other words,they aren't cheering for the U.S. as a whole,just those atheletes because they couldn't possibly be happy with the whole U.S. itself,including government. Iraq and Afghanistan were also warmly and loudly greeted. Afghanistan even had a woman I beleive. Who says Bush didn't do a good thing? Anyway,here is a link to some info on the Olympics:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/tvlistings/5016748/detail.html

krisy said:
The U.S. probably got the loudest cheer of them all when their atheletes were anounced.
That's awesome!!!! :beer:
Of course,after the loud cheer for the U.S.,Costas proceeded to say that people are able to differ between the citizens and the government,making for the loud cheers. In other words,they aren't cheering for the U.S. as a whole,just those atheletes because they couldn't possibly be happy with the whole U.S. itself,including government.
Well, damn, I was wondering how they'd make this political and try and make Bush look bad. :blowup: We have a winner :finger:

UsaPride said:
That's awesome!!!! :beer:

Well, damn, I was wondering how they'd make this political and try and make Bush look bad. :blowup: We have a winner :finger:

It was a serious load of crap! I was on the phone with my brother and we were both watching it and thought it was so stupid the way he was talking. The ceremonies were great,but I hope no one thinks for a minute there won't be politics mentioned and thrown in here and there about different things.The media can't resist. I do wish our atheletes the best of luck though! Go U.S.A!!!!!!!!!

Olympics is no time to boo anyone. Athletes train hard. The last thing they need is politics getting in their way. I mean that was the whole point of the Olympics in the first place. I was glad to see everyone cheered!

Isaac Brock said:
Olympics is no time to boo anyone. Athletes train hard. The last thing they need is politics getting in their way. I mean that was the whole point of the Olympics in the first place. I was glad to see everyone cheered!

Agreed!!!

Isaac Brock said:

Oh please, the Olympics is a very political event. I remember when the Russians were threatening to pull out of SLC when they started losing some events they wanted to win. The olympics is a way for nations to play politics with sports.

Oh please, the Olympics is a very political event. I remember when the Russians were threatening to pull out of SLC when they started losing some events they wanted to win. The olympics is a way for nations to play politics with sports.

Politics at the olympics are played by the politicians. The only thing the athletes want to do is compete. They have no political motive. No athlete should have to be booed or not allowed to compete because of politics of their supporting country.

That's why the Olympic boycott of Moscow was wrong and why the Russians were wrong at SLC. As a former high level athlete myself, I know how much work goes into their training just to be best you can be and all you want to do is try. There has to be at least one international event that allows athletes to compete regardless of how polititians feel about what's happening in the world.

I love Olympic time ! I have the swimming on now ! GO USA !! :thewave: :usa:

Isaac Brock said:
Politics at the olympics are played by the politicians. The only thing the athletes want to do is compete. They have no political motive. No athlete should have to be booed or not allowed to compete because of politics of their supporting country.

That's why the Olympic boycott of Moscow was wrong and why the Russians were wrong at SLC. As a former high level athlete myself, I know how much work goes into their training just to be best you can be and all you want to do is try. There has to be at least one international event that allows athletes to compete regardless of how polititians feel about what's happening in the world.

:beer:

My first time of more than about 15 minutes away from the TV all day, as NBC is taking a break for the news before Phelps' first final at 8 (central). I love the Olympics, and I know that what it feels like to do something that big can only be comprehended by athletes.

As for Costas' comment, I don't fully blame him. His brain has been so hardwired by the liberals that he fully believes that nobody in the world could possibly like President Bush except for stupid or corrupt Americans. He probably thinks a Kerry victory is a slam dunk. With that mindset, it's not entirely innappropriate to comment on how the fans distinguish gov't from citizen. What he needs is a change of perspective and understand that a large portion of the world loves us for what we do, in both political and athletic ventures.

Unfortunately Greece almost as a whole is vehemently opposed to American foriegn policy, Bob the jackoff(i'll explain why he's a jackoff in a sec) was pretty much dead on in his assessment. Kissinger and Nixon seriously fucked the country over back in the late 60's early 70's, plus the fact that we will not officially classify Turkish atrocities as genocide for fear of losing the precious F-16 bases in Turkey which did us alot of good in Iraq, didn't they? Fucking scumbag Turks!

Bob Costas who proudly claims he is a Greek/American butchered the names of Greeks last night and couldn't simply translate one sign in Greek held up by some nation last night that simply said "thanks Greeks for the Olympics". I'm also on a Greek messageboard and they calling for his ass on a platter today. Also if you watched Jay Leno last night I've got one thing to say, FUCK THAT DAGO!

I didn't see the opening ceremonies, not much into tv., but I've read a bit about them. Are the following true?

The Iranian delegation turned their backs on the Israeli team? If so, there goes the 'sportmanship above politics.' (I'm always reminded of the BlackPower fist and the girl that turned her back on the flag.)

That their was 'a kodak moment' with the Iranian team and US together?

That Afghanistan and Iraqi teams got huge applause?

Yeah the Iraqi and Afghani delegations got big applause. The rest I don't know about.

Here is one for sportsmanship and olympic spirit for ya. On Monday the wrestling starts and in the 1st round an Israeli and Iranian were drawn together, the Iranian withdrew because Iran does not recognize Israel as a country....nice.

OCA said:
Yeah the Iraqi and Afghani delegations got big applause. The rest I don't know about.

Here is one for sportsmanship and olympic spirit for ya. On Monday the wrestling starts and in the 1st round an Israeli and Iranian were drawn together, the Iranian withdrew because Iran does not recognize Israel as a country....nice.

Yeah, while I wish Issac was correct about the athletes, what I've seen on the Olympics in the past just doesn't lead me to agree. I heard that one of the Iranians had threatened to withdraw, because he wouldn't touch an Israeli, wonder if it was the above?

Any observations on this?

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040814/D84EMVCO0.html

"The great moment has come!" cried the announcer. Moments later, the parade of nations began with the appearance of Greek weightlifter Pyrros Dimas, who is seeking his fourth consecutive gold medal at the games.

Behind him more than 10,500 athletes streamed into the stadium....

The entrance of the more than 500-member U.S. team - led by basketball guard Dawn Staley - drew cheers. But some people also stood and put their thumbs down in an apparent show of displeasure for the war in Iraq. Moments later, the Iraqis entered to a roaring ovation.

OCA said:
Unfortunately Greece almost as a whole is vehemently opposed to American foriegn policy, Bob the jackoff(i'll explain why he's a jackoff in a sec) was pretty much dead on in his assessment. Kissinger and Nixon seriously fucked the country over back in the late 60's early 70's, plus the fact that we will not officially classify Turkish atrocities as genocide for fear of losing the precious F-16 bases in Turkey which did us alot of good in Iraq, didn't they? Fucking scumbag Turks!

Bob Costas who proudly claims he is a Greek/American butchered the names of Greeks last night and couldn't simply translate one sign in Greek held up by some nation last night that simply said "thanks Greeks for the Olympics". I'm also on a Greek messageboard and they calling for his ass on a platter today. Also if you watched Jay Leno last night I've got one thing to say, FUCK THAT DAGO!

I didn't realise that Greece was opposed to U.S. foreign policy. Even so,they did give a very loud and cheerful welcome. Costas comment sounded kind of in general,as if no one would cheer for the U.S. Do you have family in Greece OCA? One of my best friends growing up was from Greece(actually,her family was-she was born in U.S.) Her mom used to try to give us Greek food all the time and being young kids of course,we would never try it lol! I may be a little more open to it now!!

krisy said:
I didn't realise that Greece was opposed to U.S. foreign policy. Even so,they did give a very loud and cheerful welcome. Costas comment sounded kind of in general,as if no one would cheer for the U.S. Do you have family in Greece OCA? One of my best friends growing up was from Greece(actually,her family was-she was born in U.S.) Her mom used to try to give us Greek food all the time and being young kids of course,we would never try it lol! I may be a little more open to it now!!

Yes, I still have many, many relatives there, I myself was born there. My grandparents are there now staying in their home that they usually rent out which is right on the marathon route. I could sit on the veranda and throw crap on the runners if I was there.

Yeah Bob should've just kept his mouth shut and no one would've known. The deal is that in 1967 there was a military coup of the democratically elected government and Nixon and Kissinger were very supportive of the coup leaders even after they violently crushed a student revolt. Also in 1974 Kissinger engineered a Turkish invasion of Cyprus because he was afraid of communists being elected and the Soviets placing missles there, many people died and were displaced and in hindsight it was all just a figment of Nixon's paranoid imagination. Today Cyprus is still divided.

I was wondering who the commentators were for the opneing ceremonies. Costas and Couric are both first-class dipshits. They couldn't help but mention different countries opposition to the Iraq War, regardless of the connection.

I did find it interesting that Iran got a very silent greeting, while Israel got a pretty loud one.

You ain't kiddin about Iran. I wasn't sure if anyone cheered for those a-holes. I noticed Saudi Arabia still has no women as well. The cheering for Iraq and Afghanistan was pretty amazing. For Afghanistan to have a woman,I still can't get over it. We must have done something right over there.

OCA said:

That might have been the excuse they stated publicly.

Betcha the real reason he withdrew was that if he lost to a Jew, he'd spend the rest of his life standing in corner with his wrists tied to his ankles and his pants at half mast.

New Topics

Forum List

Back