U.N. vote demands Syria cooperation

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
UNITED NATIONS (CNN) -- The U.N. Security Council has voted unanimously in favor of a resolution demanding Syria cooperate with a U.N. investigation into the February assassination of former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri or face "further action."

Last-minute diplomatic haggling deleted a direct reference to the threat of sanctions on the Syrian government, but the effect of Monday's resolution is the same.

The United States, France and Britain had sponsored the resolution after a U.N. report published earlier in October blamed Syrian security forces and its Lebanese allies for the bombing that killed Hariri and 20 others in Beirut on February 14. Syria denies the accusations.

The assassination of Hariri, a veteran Lebanese politician who had become a critic of Syria's military occupation of Lebanon, triggered massive protests that eventually led to Syria's withdrawal from Lebanon.

The resolution is under Chapter 7 of the U.N. Charter, which holds open the ultimate possibility of the Security Council considering the use of force with failure to comply.

More ......http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/10/31/syria.un/index.html

I'm not holding my breath for this to amount to anymore than hot air from the Toothless N.

GunnyL said:
UNITED NATIONS (CNN) -- The U.N. Security Council has voted unanimously in favor of a resolution demanding Syria cooperate with a U.N. investigation into the February assassination of former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri or face "further action."

Last-minute diplomatic haggling deleted a direct reference to the threat of sanctions on the Syrian government, but the effect of Monday's resolution is the same.

The United States, France and Britain had sponsored the resolution after a U.N. report published earlier in October blamed Syrian security forces and its Lebanese allies for the bombing that killed Hariri and 20 others in Beirut on February 14. Syria denies the accusations.

The assassination of Hariri, a veteran Lebanese politician who had become a critic of Syria's military occupation of Lebanon, triggered massive protests that eventually led to Syria's withdrawal from Lebanon.

The resolution is under Chapter 7 of the U.N. Charter, which holds open the ultimate possibility of the Security Council considering the use of force with failure to comply.

More ......http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/10/31/syria.un/index.html

I'm not holding my breath for this to amount to anymore than hot air from the Toothless N.

Agreed--but for France to even make a token gesture is a monumental step and I'm sure they are proud of themselves :laugh:

dilloduck said:
Agreed--but for France to even make a token gesture is a monumental step and I'm sure they are proud of themselves :laugh:

Oh, France has no problem meddling in the affairs of the Middle East/North Africa when it suits their agenda. Watch them do an about face if the US takes a more active role though.

GunnyL said:
Oh, France has no problem meddling in the affairs of the Middle East/North Africa when it suits their agenda. Watch them do an about face if the US takes a more active role though.

If memory serves, Chirac was very close to the assassinated. All the info that is necessary. On the other hand, if money is to be made supporting a bad guy...

GunnyL said:

yup--I wonder if their trying a bit harder to cover their tracks on this one. :laugh:

Kathianne said:
If memory serves, Chirac was very close to the assassinated. All the info that is necessary. On the other hand, if money is to be made supporting a bad guy...

Well, that's at least a partial explanation. If the dude was one of Chirac's cronies, he's probably pissed he now has to corrupt someone else.

dilloduck said:

what is the over under on when they will surrender to syria?

manu1959 said:
what is the over under on when they will surrender to syria?

Do NOT underestimate the French, they've threatened to go nuclear before!

GunnyL said:
You mean when is it we will have to take France back from the Syrians and return it to the dipsticks?

i bet if we go to war with syria, france will surrender to syria at some point....

Kathianne said:
Do NOT underestimate the French, they've threatened to go nuclear before!

yes....they are also getting thier ass handed to them in the congo and have lost to the italians twice....nothing since napolean....even then they only won against second rate armies....england stuffed them

Forum List

Back