U.N.: 100,000 more dead in Darfur than reported

Discussion in 'Africa' started by Gunny, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Un-fucking-sat.:evil:

2. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    If only the UN was half as good at stopping the killing as it is counting the dead.

3. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    The UN is obviously not very good at either.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    There will not be many athletes from Darfur in Beijing:

5. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Darfur is the manifestation of my problem with the UN. They're so busy playing bureaucratic parlor games they ignore the bodies piling up.

6. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,928
    Selling arms to a legal Government is not, in my opinion, a problem. The problem is China blocks any attempts to rein in the abuse by that Government.

Just as I had no official problem with Chavez buying tons of Ak-47's, I have no problem with Sudan buying arms and weapon systems nor the people that sell them to a legal Government.

7. Larkinn

Larkinn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +175
    So any solutions?

Or are you going to continue to blame the UN for things which it has no control over?

Blaming the UN for this is stupid unless you are blaming the structure of the UN. If you want to reduce the control of countries and allow UN greater autontomy, I'm all for it.

If you want to blame individuals for acting under the current system, point your fingers at China, not the UN. The UN is powerless. Which you all support. So blaming it for being unable to act, when you support that fact, is hypocrisy at its finest.

8. Larkinn

Larkinn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Legal government or not, its pretty fucking horrific and immoral to sell arms to a government engaging in genocide.

9. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770

Are you going to continue to ask this is every thread on Darfur? Just wondering. I'd assume you will get pretty-much the same answers.

No reduction in control of countries is necessary, nor giving the UN greater autonomy is necessary for the UN to do that which it is designed to do. The UN as organization is not the problem here. It has all the tools necessary to bring this abomination to anyone's idea of humanity to a halt.

It is the professional bureaucrats that make up the membership of the UN that's a big part of the problem. The current world political viewpoint which varies from one end of the spectrum to the other that's part of the problem.

It's unscrupulous nations like China, gaining its oil for blood, that no one wants to offend -- Heaven forbid THAT -- that's part of the problem.

It's the hypocrisy of the different Nations and their people that demand something be done then turn around and criticize and/or make bullshit accusations when someone DOES actually do something.

You'll have to excuse my simplistic, military approach but I'd put a carrier task force off shore, draw a line in the sand and bomb the hell out of anything that so much as stuck a toe across it.

Then I'd use that same military task force to provide some medical aid and food to whatever's left of those people.

All the while my actions being generally condemned by the UN and the pussy-ass nations of the world. Tough. It would be doing the right thing. Something that seems to be only words on paper in our ideals anymore.

10. BrianH

BrianH Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +238

:clap2: You can't be puss in a tough world