Typical NYT Spin

Samson

Póg Mo Thóin
Dec 3, 2009
A Higher Plain
Here's an example of why the NYT is, at best, lining for bird cages:

The New York Times has an interesting article on this subject: Placing the Blame as Students Are Buried in Debt

Yes, and, predictably, the NYT downplays personal responsibility in favor of "blameing" colleges:

They and their families made borrowing decisions based more on emotion than reason, much as subprime borrowers assumed the value of their houses would always go up.

Meanwhile, universities like N.Y.U. enrolled students without asking many questions about whether they could afford a $50,000 annual tuition bill. Then the colleges introduced the students to lenders who underwrote big loans without any idea of what the students might earn someday — just like the mortgage lenders who didn’t ask borrowers to verify their incomes.

Ms. Munna does not want to walk away from her loans in the same way many mortgage holders are. It would be difficult in any event because federal bankruptcy law makes it nearly impossible to discharge student loan debts. But unless she manages to improve her income quickly, she doesn’t have a lot of good options for digging out.

It is utterly depressing that there are so many people like her facing decades of payments, limited capacity to buy a home and a debt burden that can repel potential life partners. For starters, it’s a shared failure of parenting and loan underwriting.

But perhaps the biggest share lies with colleges and universities because they have the most knowledge of the financial aid process.

Later in the article NYT blames Citi Bank for lending money when the credit was already bad.

Still later, buried on the second page, we finally learn what the REAL PROBLEM IS: Why Ms Munna cannot repay the loan?

Ms Munna has a degree in what amounts to Underwater Basketweaving:

She recently received a raise and now makes $22 an hour working for a photographer. It’s the highest salary she’s earned since graduating with an interdisciplinary degree in religious and women’s studies.

:lol:

She fucked off studying worthless bullshit for YEARS on the public dime, now cannot understand why she owes so much money? Hey, I have an idea: Join the Army, and payoff your fucking loan, you lazy bitch.

The NYT omits this "Option."

The New York Times has an interesting article on this subject: Placing the Blame as Students Are Buried in Debt

Yes, and, predictably, the NYT downplays personal responsibility in favor of "blameing" colleges:

They and their families made borrowing decisions based more on emotion than reason, much as subprime borrowers assumed the value of their houses would always go up.

Meanwhile, universities like N.Y.U. enrolled students without asking many questions about whether they could afford a $50,000 annual tuition bill. Then the colleges introduced the students to lenders who underwrote big loans without any idea of what the students might earn someday — just like the mortgage lenders who didn’t ask borrowers to verify their incomes.

Ms. Munna does not want to walk away from her loans in the same way many mortgage holders are. It would be difficult in any event because federal bankruptcy law makes it nearly impossible to discharge student loan debts. But unless she manages to improve her income quickly, she doesn’t have a lot of good options for digging out.

It is utterly depressing that there are so many people like her facing decades of payments, limited capacity to buy a home and a debt burden that can repel potential life partners. For starters, it’s a shared failure of parenting and loan underwriting.

But perhaps the biggest share lies with colleges and universities because they have the most knowledge of the financial aid process.

Later in the article NYT blames Citi Bank for lending money when the credit was already bad.

Still later, buried on the second page, we finally learn what the REAL PROBLEM IS: Why Ms Munna cannot repay the loan?

She recently received a raise and now makes $22 an hour working for a photographer. It’s the highest salary she’s earned since graduating with an interdisciplinary degree in religious and women’s studies.

She fucked off studying worthless bullshit for YEARS on the public dime, now cannot understand why she owes so much money? Hey, I have an idea: Join the Army, and payoff your fucking loan, you lazy bitch.

Except that she didn't go to school on the public dime. Clearly, since she'll be paying it off for the rest of her life.

You made that part up.

Except that she didn't go to school on the public dime. Clearly, since she'll be paying it off for the rest of her life.

You made that part up.

You're quite an optimist if you think she'll pay it off.

You're also a little short of financial savvy if you think borrowed public funds couldn't have been spent in a more productive application than to graduate with an "interdisciplinary degree in religious and women’s studies."

You made that part up.

You're also a little short of financial savvy if you think borrowed public funds couldn't have been spent in a more productive application than to graduate with an "interdisciplinary degree in religious and women’s studies."

Well, the whole point is that she didn't borrow public funds. She borrowed private funds. Did you even read the article?

Wow. I'm getting sooooo sick of this victim mentality.If I hear one more person complain that their house is worth less than their mortgage... It's an investment and all investments include risk.

And guess what? NYU only takes the best and the brightest. How the hell can she and her folks plead ignorance?

We've been saving for our kids' colleges since they were born. I don't expect one dime of govt aid, but I'll be damned if tax money is used to bail out losers like her. Where does it end?

Wow. I'm getting sooooo sick of this victim mentality.If I hear one more person complain that their house is worth less than their mortgage... It's an investment and all investments include risk.

And guess what? NYU only takes the best and the brightest. How the hell can she and her folks plead ignorance?

We've been saving for our kids' colleges since they were born. I don't expect one dime of govt aid, but I'll be damned if tax money is used to bail out losers like her. Where does it end?

Who is calling for her to be "bailed out" with "tax money"?

You made that part up.

Well, the whole point is that she didn't borrow public funds. She borrowed private funds. Did you even read the article?

The article mentions she received grant monies....

And grants, by definition are NOT loans. I'm not arguing whether her choice of major was a good idea - but she didn't go to school on "the public dime" if she left school with hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt.

Also, who are we to judge what she went to school for? She paid for it (or will).

What the fuck is the big deal? What did this poor girl do to you guys, that you're so pissed at her?

And grants, by definition are NOT loans. I'm not arguing whether her choice of major was a good idea - but she didn't go to school on "the public dime" if she left school with hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt.

Also, who are we to judge what she went to school for? She paid for it (or will).

What the fuck is the big deal? What did this poor girl do to you guys, that you're so pissed at her?

I made one comment in this thread, dumbass... Who said I was pissed?

You made that part up.

Sure, did you?

The balance on Cortney Munna’s loans is about $97,000, including all of her federal loans and her private debt from Sallie Mae and Citibank.

$40,000 was from Citibank.

Federal Loans = Public Funds

Who is calling for her to be "bailed out" with "tax money"?

Why is it that you lefties ALWAYS defend those who dont deserve it?
She is a whiney POS that dont want to pay back her loan.... period end of story. We will end up paying it through some kind of "TARP" or "stimulus" or "welfare".... Im sick of it!

Sure, did you?

The balance on Cortney Munna’s loans is about $97,000, including all of her federal loans and her private debt from Sallie Mae and Citibank.

Ok, you're right.

$40,000 from Citibank
$20,000 from Sallie Mae

and the difference from Federal loans.

Are you saying that the government should have control over what you go to school for, if you accept government loans?

The reason I posted this in the media Forum, and titled the thread "Typical NYT Spin" was because it illustrates the typical bleeding heart spin that minimizes individual responsiblity in favor of bashing Citi Bank, and Universities.

Get you panties out of a wad: I could have titled it "Stupid Bitch spends $100K on Useless Degree."

Last edited:

Are you serious?

How about you help her pay for it.

Oh, I almost forgot (NOT) you libz only like to spend others money, not your own.

So you hate her because she's having a hard time paying her loans? Very compassionate of you.

I made one comment in this thread, dumbass... Who said I was pissed?

That wasn't aimed at you. I apologize for the confusion.

Sure, did you?

Ok, you're right.

$40,000 from Citibank
$20,000 from Sallie Mae

and the difference from Federal loans.

Are you saying that the government should have control over what you go to school for, if you accept government loans?

Just pay them back and quit crying.... thats all most of us would expect her to do.

It was hard to do, but I payed all of mine off.

The reason I posted this in the media Forum, and titled the thread "Typical NYT Spin" was because it illustrates the typical bleeding heart spin that minimizes individual responsiblity in favor of bashing Citi Bank, and Universities.

Get you panties out of a wad: I could have titled it "Stupid Bitch spends $100K on Useless Degree."

I'm just trying to understand why everyone in this thread was so quick to attack this poor girl.

Forum List

Back