Typical Hollywood Spin on the Military.

Charles_Main

AR15 Owner
Jun 23, 2008
Michigan, USA
have any of you watched Generation Kill at all.

What a despicable display of the Norman Hollywood take on the Military.

It claims to follow an elite marine unit through the initial invasion phase of Iraq.

However in typical Hollywood Fashion they show these guys to be complete bumbling Baboons, and idiots. It portrays the entire thing as a series of fuck ups and BS.

I met a guy just back from Iraq the other day, and don't get me wrong he said we made some mistake, but he also said if he met the maker of Generation Kill he would shoot the "motherfucker" for their inaccurate and unkind portrayal of what he called one of the most elite and professional units in our Military.

have any of you watched Generation Kill at all.
I admit I have not watched it but I looked it up just now ...
"Generation Kill" (2008)

There have been horrible movies made about our Armed Forces in each and every war we have been involved with.

Hollywood = Movies
Movie Maker's = Make movies that will make a LOT of money on ticket sales (wrong or right)

I have the upmost respect for each and every American that has served.

The first movie that came to my mind, (when I read your post, Charles), was "Apocalypse Now". It won 2 Oscars. A lot of people believe that movie was "one of the best" - I thought it was a horrible portrayal of our men in unifom.

I wasn't crazy about "Tora, Tora, Tora", either.

In my opinion only.

Well.... Full Metal Jacket brings back memories of Basic Training for me at times....

Still don't mean that the general interpretation coming from Hollyweird about the military is not very skewed and agenda driven against the armed forces

Well.... Full Metal Jacket brings back memories of Basic Training for me at times....

Still don't mean that the general interpretation coming from Hollyweird about the military is not very skewed and agenda driven against the armed forces

It's funny you should say that. A friend of mine who is an ex Marine said the exact same thing to me the other day.

That movie..the first half, the boot camp half was, I thought, rather good.

The second half, which took place in Viet Nam, was an embarrassing mess.

Didn't they have anyone with military experience telling them anything about tactics?

The field tactics those guys employed were absurd.

Clusterfucks all over the place, those guys would not have lasted long in the bush, and I though that half of the movie was pure hokem.

I thought it insulted Marines to be honest.

You cats are in for a rude awakening if youre looking to Hollywood for a truthful depiction of anything... except for may the new Oliver Stone movie "W".

Having got that "tour" under my belt, Full Metal Jacket was more like when I went to boot camp than when I was a Drill Instructor. R Lee Ermy just protrayed everything bad in a Drill Instructor all rolled into one package. He played the part to a "t". A Drill Instructor like that when I was on the street wouldn't last a single platoon without being relieved for cause because of his sadisitc brutality.

It was a job. While it wasn't hard to lose sight of that considering the pressure you're under, those that did usually didn't complete their tours. People never seem to realize the pressure the Hat is under. You do everything the recruits do, PLUS you have to be perfect in every way at all times, and somehow manage to slip the real world in there. Recruits don't have to do anything but be recruits. The get 3 meals a day and a minimum 7 hours in the rack. A junior hat working lights to lights his first platoon, and sometimes a second one is going from 0530 to 2200, and THEN has to take care of his own shit before he can hit the rack for about 4 hours of sleep. If there are only 2 hats, it's just as bad. Duty Drill Instructor every-other-day and usually a split shit of one from 0530-1900 and the other from 0700 to 2200, the latter also being the duty Drill Instructor.

Think that sleep deprivation over 13 weeks won't fuck your mind? Try it. It's REAL Easy to see recruits as "things" and to hate them.

That movie..the first half, the boot camp half was, I thought, rather good.

The second half, which took place in Viet Nam, was an embarrassing mess.

Didn't they have anyone with military experience telling them anything about tactics?

The field tactics those guys employed were absurd.

Clusterfucks all over the place, those guys would not have lasted long in the bush, and I though that half of the movie was pure hokem.

I thought it insulted Marines to be honest.

ITA. The first half was startlingly realistic. The second half was a joke. However, Hue was a more conventional, urban battle than a "in the bush" one. But I agree they did some stupid shit, punctuated by marching in staggered formation out on the open singing "Mickey Mouse" at the end. No wonder one little chick sniper fucked them up so bad.

***** Saving Private Ryan was an excellant movie!

***** Pearl Harbor - another five gold star movie. But it holds a special place in my heart because I had an Uncle that went down on the USS Oklahoma there.

Having got that "tour" under my belt, Full Metal Jacket was more like when I went to boot camp than when I was a Drill Instructor. R Lee Ermy just protrayed everything bad in a Drill Instructor all rolled into one package. He played the part to a "t". A Drill Instructor like that when I was on the street wouldn't last a single platoon without being relieved for cause because of his sadisitc brutality.

It was a job. While it wasn't hard to lose sight of that considering the pressure you're under, those that did usually didn't complete their tours. People never seem to realize the pressure the Hat is under. You do everything the recruits do, PLUS you have to be perfect in every way at all times, and somehow manage to slip the real world in there. Recruits don't have to do anything but be recruits. The get 3 meals a day and a minimum 7 hours in the rack. A junior hat working lights to lights his first platoon, and sometimes a second one is going from 0530 to 2200, and THEN has to take care of his own shit before he can hit the rack for about 4 hours of sleep. If there are only 2 hats, it's just as bad. Duty Drill Instructor every-other-day and usually a split shit of one from 0530-1900 and the other from 0700 to 2200, the latter also being the duty Drill Instructor.

Think that sleep deprivation over 13 weeks won't fuck your mind? Try it. It's REAL Easy to see recruits as "things" and to hate them.

which is exactly why its consider torture and we shouldn't use it

You mean like pro-war propaganda the Green Beret?

The Green Berets (1968)

Hollywood produces tons of action movies that right wing audiences lick up.

The most overtly jingoistic movie every made was Starship Troopers.

Heinliens not untypical defence of of his attraction to fascism, coupled with couples coupling. That guy was a D.O.M pervert if there ever was one.

Best war movie soundtrack was Platoon, some great lines, too..

You all take a good look at this lump of shit. Remember what it looks like. You fuck up in a firefight... and I goddamn guarantee you a trip out of the bush - in a body bag! Out here, assholes, you keep your shit wired tight at all times! And that goes for you, shit-for-brains. You don't sleep on no fuckin' ambush! And the next sum'bitch I catch coppin Z's in the bush, I'm personally gonna take an interest in seein' him suffer. I shit you not. Doc, tag him and bag him!

A movie not really about Viet Nam so much as it was a transparent morality film done well.

Deer Hunter and Apolypse Now (again, both only vaguely having anything to do with VN, despite what most people seem to think about them) are a couple of my favorite war movies.

The horror!

The difference between other movies and this Generation Kill show. Is Generation kill is supposedly loosley based on real events, and it portrays one of our most elite units as a bunch of Idiots.

Not shocking at all coming from Hollywood, but still upseting.

Forum List

Back