TX Voter ID Law To Stay - Supreme Court

Spare_change

Gold Member
Jun 27, 2011
Texas' new voter ID law is here to stay, at least for now. The Supreme Court on Friday issued an order stating that they would not consider the law until at least July 20.

Civil rights groups who say the law discriminates against black and Hispanic voters had argued that it should be blocked because it was struck down by a federal court in 2014 and a three-judge appeals court panel last year. The full U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit will hear the case next month.

The justices said they would reconsider their decision on or after July 20 if the appeals court has not decided the case by then. That would give state election officials more than three months to prepare voters for the November elections.

"The court recognizes the time constraints the parties confront in light of the scheduled elections in November 2016," the one-paragraph order stated.

North Carolina's voter ID law was also upheld, and a judge pointed out that it was hard to argue the law was hurting minorities as voter turnout in those groups had increased since the law's passage. Wisconsin also saw record voter turnout despite new ID laws.

Voter ID laws are an easy and quick way to ensure that votes are fairly cast, and in 2016 it's nearly impossible to exist without some form of photo ID. Texas' law should stay.

People should see...because black people lie about racism. It is kind of the same affect.

"For now". It will be overturned.

Not in Texas chicken foot.

Sure it will be overturned. It might take a while longer, but the country has changed. All the racist right wing crap will be discarded.

STFU...you have zero credibility with me since your retarded stance on the legality of the firearms used in the San Bernardino shootings.
Dont reply to my post you fucken partisan hack.

Sure it will be overturned. It might take a while longer, but the country has changed. All the racist right wing crap will be discarded.

STFU...you have zero credibility with me since your retarded stance on the legality of the firearms used in the San Bernardino shootings.

Why don't you just hug my nuts you big baby. I'll write what I want, and you can whine about it if you feel the need.

Why don't you just hug my nuts you big baby. I'll write what I want, and you can whine about it if you feel the need.

Go away hack.

Go away hack.

Sorry. I don't follow instructions from teabaggers.

Go away hack.

Sorry. I don't follow instructions from teabaggers.

Only your messiahs orders huh...

Texas' new voter ID law is here to stay, at least for now. The Supreme Court on Friday issued an order stating that they would not consider the law until at least July 20.

Civil rights groups who say the law discriminates against black and Hispanic voters had argued that it should be blocked because it was struck down by a federal court in 2014 and a three-judge appeals court panel last year. The full U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit will hear the case next month.

The justices said they would reconsider their decision on or after July 20 if the appeals court has not decided the case by then. That would give state election officials more than three months to prepare voters for the November elections.

"The court recognizes the time constraints the parties confront in light of the scheduled elections in November 2016," the one-paragraph order stated.

North Carolina's voter ID law was also upheld, and a judge pointed out that it was hard to argue the law was hurting minorities as voter turnout in those groups had increased since the law's passage. Wisconsin also saw record voter turnout despite new ID laws.

Voter ID laws are an easy and quick way to ensure that votes are fairly cast, and in 2016 it's nearly impossible to exist without some form of photo ID. Texas' law should stay.
Sorry, you are an unconstitutional American

U.S. District Judge Nelva Gonzales Ramos said that Texas imposed the requirements “with an unconstitutional discriminatory purpose," she ruled, and the law "constitutes an unconstitutional poll tax.”

Forum List

Back