Two tourists in Florida learn about local gun laws

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
What happens when you walk into an internet cafe in Florida thinking the local old folks are easy pickings?

Gainesville.com: Gainesville news, sports, weather and more | The Gainesville Sun | Gainesville FL

The Internet cafe patron who shot and injured two men as they tried to rob the business will likely not face any criminal charges. “Based on what I have seen and what I know at this time, I don't anticipate filing any charges,” said Bill Gladson of the State Attorney's Office for 5th Judicial Circuit.
Gladson said he has reviewed the security surveillance video from the cafe. While he still awaits final reports from the Marion County Sheriff's Office, he said the shooting appeared justified.

Charges unlikely against man who shot robbers | Gainesville.com

Yup. Down here in Florida anyone is liable to be carrying.

They will shoot your ass.

As a Floridian and a gun carrier, I loved watching that guy chase after them like that.

One thing though, if one of those guys had died, the shooter might have been in serious trouble. Unless I am mistaken, once the perps are running off you have to back down. That last shot he took out the door was an unnecessary shot, the perps were hastily retreating, the danger was passed and ther was no reason for him to shoot. Had it been me I would have not taken that guys last two shots. But hey, it worked out and he's a hero.

• Thanks
Reactions: Jos
As a Floridian and a gun carrier, I loved watching that guy chase after them like that.

One thing though, if one of those guys had died, the shooter might have been in serious trouble. Unless I am mistaken, once the perps are running off you have to back down. That last shot he took out the door was an unnecessary shot, the perps were hastily retreating, the danger was passed and ther was no reason for him to shoot. Had it been me I would have not taken that guys last two shots. But hey, it worked out and he's a hero.

I was taught that when you draw you shoot to kill, not just because you could hurt yourself or others but because of the legal ramifications of shooting somone, in other words its better legally to kill who you draw on then to injure them because even if its in self defense the family can still sue.

I didn't see the shot out the door.
But he shot until they were no longer a threat to hi or others!
:cool:

What is strange is that the perps didn't shoot back although they had what looked like firearms. Were they crazy, carrying fake guns?
In the situation, if the man had a permit and was within other legal boundaries, it looks as if he did the right thing. Not that people should be shot for stealing, but armed robbery certainly invites this kind of reaction.
And, yes, one does not produce a firearm in such a situation only to threaten or show off; that's how one gets shot. You pull out a firearm only when ready to use it, and then you do. That's what makes it so dangerous to carry. At what point are you absolutely, positively sure it is time to kill?

Last edited:

You never really know what you might do once the adrenalin starts flowing.

What is strange is that the perps didn't shoot back although they had what looked like firearms. Were they crazy, carrying fake guns?
In the situation, if the man had a permit and was within other legal boundaries, it looks as if he did the right thing. Not that people should be shot for stealing, but armed robbery certainly invites this kind of reaction.
And, yes, one does not produce a firearm in such a situation only to threaten or show off; that's how one gets shot. You pull out a firearm only when ready to use it, and then you do. That's what makes it so dangerous to carry. At what point are you absolutely, positively sure it is time to kill?

when two hooded perps walk in with a gun and a basball bat and threaten your ass.

Forum List

Back