Two-thirds of WI children can't read proficiently, despite highest per pupil spending

It's because teachers are liberals and liberals are to stupid to be teaching anyone anything.
Yeah, and i'll bet to + too = 4..........In your obviously highly educated mind.

Damn, i'll even bet that you received that Rhodes scholarship at 13 years old. I mean, seeing as though you're such an educated giant.

Oh boy.. this is fun!
OOOOOPS!:razz:
Sometimes, my pulitzer prize winning speed writing gets in the way of my brain.

Last edited:
Whoa whoa whoa.

Let me get this right. These WI union teachers are falsifying gov't documents to get out of work for a week, demanding everything while earning an avg package of $89,500 a year, and 2/3 of their students can't read properly?

Wow. Enough said.

They don't earn that. That number is a concoction.

No, the blame lies with the teachers.

My kids are in a charter school. They have limited funds and are in a classroom for grades 1-3. They are far ahead of kids in other grades in standard public school in their reading and math proficiency, and we have all the gadgets. We just have a good system and good teachers who circumvent that.

That still doesn't put the blame on the teachers.
Charter schools typically do not have to follow the same rules and statutes that public schools must follow. Those rules and statutes for the most part are not contrived by the teachers but more so by elected officials School Board/state legislatures/US Congress ("No Child Left Behind" per example).
If the overseers of school policy were smart, they'd adopt the Charter School principles.
But again, it still comes down to good parenting to make sure the student studies at home.
Agreed but, there are many teachers out there who are PART of the problem. We can't gloss over that fact, and something has to be done about it.

There are bad people in the armed forces too. Should we cut all military pay and benefits as a reaction????

Wisconsin ranks 9th in reading proficiency.

Pretty darn good. Some of you inbred cracker states would kill to have that result, that is,

if you gave a shit, which, because you're conservative, you don't.

Whoa whoa whoa.

Let me get this right. These WI union teachers are falsifying gov't documents to get out of work for a week, demanding everything while earning an avg package of $89,500 a year, and 2/3 of their students can't read properly?

Wow. Enough said.

They don't earn that. That number is a concoction.

No, that number is an average.

Not the same thing.

Wisconsin ranks 9th in reading proficiency.

Pretty darn good. Some of you inbred cracker states would kill to have that result, that is,

if you gave a shit, which, because you're conservative, you don't.

Link?

in Midwest.

"Two-thirds of the eighth graders in Wisconsin public schools cannot read proficiently according to the U.S. Department of Education, despite the fact that Wisconsin spends more per pupil in its public schools than any other state in the Midwest."

Two-Thirds of Wisconsin Public-School 8th Graders Can#

Why we care if the teachers come back or not is beyond me. Replace their sorry asses.

Also not noted is that...

Wisconsin Students Rank #2 in composite SAT Scores (Link)

And

Wisconsin Students Rank #3 in ACT Composite Scores (Link).

>>>>

Two-thirds of WI children can't read proficiently, despite highest per pupil spending

That explains why the Republicans have a majority in WI then.

I'm sure the left's answer to address this....well their answer to anything and everything is of course....
We don't spend enough money on.....
Education
Transportation
Energy
Immigration

You name it we just don't spend enough money on it.....

Here's what I found...

"The median cut score for grade 8 reading is 36, but a surprising number of schools have standards that are far, far below that. The worst offenders are Colorado, Wisconsin, Delaware and Ohio."

State Tests Dumbed Down to Create a False Impression of NCLB Success

And who was it that put forth the policy that got these results? Why the icon of neocon stupidity, the Shrub! And before you start in with "it's all the teacher's union fault", you should understand why NCLB was a poison pen to kids education from the start

Greg Palast » No Child’s Behind Left

You would think that with all this hoo-hah about budget crisis, someone would mention that NCLB was a major contributor to the deficiencies of the educational system. Go figure.

Bottom line: if you don't hustle your ass to the PTA to keep your local school accountable and support the good teachers....if you don't organize with other parents and make it clear to your local politico that they won't be re-elected until a better school/teacher system is set up.....if you don't tell your mayor or governor to review and FIRE incompetent school supervisors....and if YOU don't put your foot in your kids ass to straighten up and fly right, and/or HELP them with their homework, then don't come with all this "it's all the unions fault" bullshit.

Oh, and as for the headline of this thread....here's a reality check

Nationwide, only 30 percent of public school eighth graders earned a rating of “proficient” or better in reading, and the average reading score on the NAEP test was 262 out of 500. That’s right, the reading proficiency rate for Wisconsin eighth graders is slightly higher than the national average.

BREAKING: 8th Grade Reading Scores In WI Higher Than National Average | Media Matters for America

And if the answer is to increase funding, and WI has the highest increases/funding in the nation, I guess that's evidence that we don't need to increase funding. And in fact, probably need to look at another solution...

I know, let's FIRE THE TEACHERS and start over! Win/win.

I know....why doesn't Ali Baba stop trying to substitute his opinion, supposition and conjecture as FACT and learn to deal the REAL FACTS and the logic thats derived from them?

The headline post was PURPOSELY MISLEADING....deal with it. And as for "funding", why don't you address the BS "No Child Left Behind" that the Shrub and company laid on the people? There's a culprit when it comes to "funding".

This is exactly the point. Not only are the Members of the Union in Wis being greedy assholes, but they are not exactly doing well at their jobs to begin with.

The wonders of Unions and Tenure.

Once again, Chucky demonstrates a total willful ignorance of the FACTS regarding Wisconsin.

Bottom line: if you don't hustle your ass to the PTA to keep your local school accountable and support the good teachers....if you don't organize with other parents and make it clear to your local politico that they won't be re-elected until a better school/teacher system is set up.....if you don't tell your mayor or governor to review and FIRE incompetent school supervisors....and if YOU don't put your foot in your kids ass to straighten up and fly right, and/or HELP them with their homework, then don't come with all this "it's all the unions fault" bullshit.

Oh, and as for the headline of this thread....here's a reality check

Nationwide, only 30 percent of public school eighth graders earned a rating of “proficient” or better in reading, and the average reading score on the NAEP test was 262 out of 500. That’s right, the reading proficiency rate for Wisconsin eighth graders is slightly higher than the national average.

BREAKING: 8th Grade Reading Scores In WI Higher Than National Average | Media Matters for America

And if the answer is to increase funding, and WI has the highest increases/funding in the nation, I guess that's evidence that we don't need to increase funding. And in fact, probably need to look at another solution...

I know....why doesn't Ali Baba stop trying to substitute his opinion, supposition and conjecture as FACT and learn to deal the REAL FACTS and the logic thats derived from them?

The headline post was PURPOSELY MISLEADING....deal with it. And as for "funding", why don't you address the BS "No Child Left Behind" that the Shrub and company laid on the people? There's a culprit when it comes to "funding".

Lol..BOOOOOSSSSSHHHHHH....

as others have said more succinctly than I.

in Midwest.

"Two-thirds of the eighth graders in Wisconsin public schools cannot read proficiently according to the U.S. Department of Education, despite the fact that Wisconsin spends more per pupil in its public schools than any other state in the Midwest."

Two-Thirds of Wisconsin Public-School 8th Graders Can#

Why we care if the teachers come back or not is beyond me. Replace their sorry asses.

Correction: Areas with high Latino populations extract more money from American taxpayers due to threats from LA RAZA.

$12,500/ grade school student/ yr
$16,500/ hs student/yr

while black areas starve for funding.

Lol..BOOOOOSSSSSHHHHHH....

as others have said more succinctly than I.

And there you have it folks, when neocon parrots and blowhards like Allie Baba can't logically or factually disprove or discredit information that contradicts their assertions, they just bluff and bluster.

Allie Baba doesn't have the stones or brains to deal with the challenge I put to him.

Wisconsin graduates a higher % of high schoolers than any other state. The type four (4) states in % of high school graduation are states that have collective bargaining for teachers. The highest states in the nation are three states without collective bargaining.

No, morons, public unions are not the reason for the state deficits. Check the state legislatures to see what they are giving in corporate tax breaks and compare that to the deficits.

Public knowledge, folks. The far right corporatist lying is exposed from now on.

And yet, they're higher than the national average.

Besides, kids have more important things to do. Sexting, facebook, Ipods, designer clothes, games. Life is busy.

Forum List

Back