Two-thirds of WI children can't read proficiently, despite highest per pupil spending

AllieBaba

Rookie
Oct 2, 2007
in Midwest.

"Two-thirds of the eighth graders in Wisconsin public schools cannot read proficiently according to the U.S. Department of Education, despite the fact that Wisconsin spends more per pupil in its public schools than any other state in the Midwest."

Two-Thirds of Wisconsin Public-School 8th Graders Can#

Why we care if the teachers come back or not is beyond me. Replace their sorry asses.

Most children only know how to read sentences in text form or facebook update status form.

I think much of the blame lies with the parents and technology designed for kids.
Parents let their kids lose themselves with various forms of technology so the parent doesn't have to be a parent.
Most kids are very proficient with electronics, more so than with reading, math etc by a long shot.

Last edited:
Yeah you make a good point. The ability is there but its not being focused correctly by the parents.

give them a laptop and they will teach themselves. with the money we save we can build a high speed rail and "win the future" !!

I think much of the blame lies with the parents and technology designed for kids.
Parents let their kids lose themselves with various forms of technology so the parent doesn't have to be a parent.
Most kids are very proficient with electronics, more so than with reading, math etc by a long shot.

No, the blame lies with the teachers.

My kids are in a charter school. They have limited funds and are in a classroom for grades 1-3. They are far ahead of kids in other grades in standard public school in their reading and math proficiency, and we have all the gadgets. We just have a good system and good teachers who circumvent that.

in Midwest.

"Two-thirds of the eighth graders in Wisconsin public schools cannot read proficiently according to the U.S. Department of Education, despite the fact that Wisconsin spends more per pupil in its public schools than any other state in the Midwest."

Why we care if the teachers come back or not is beyond me. Replace their sorry asses.

This is more a reflection of bad parenting than bad teachers, in my opinion.

The Solution (according to the protesters):
(1) Give the more money to their pensions!
(2) Keep tenure, so taking the fear out of losing their job is good for the children
(3) Paying solely on senority is the way to go, because striving for excellence and rewarding those that achieve great things and have great results is well facist!

The Start Should Be:
(1) Start the transition from pensions to 401(k). Yes there will be some grandfathering, but not the transition MUST start.
(2) End tenure. If you are good at your job you keep it. You fuck up, then no rubber room, you get fired.
(3) Promotions, raises etc are based on merit (with senority being a consideration) and not solely on senority.
(4) Have more Charter Schools!!!

in Midwest.

in Midwest.

This is more a reflection of bad parenting than bad teachers, in my opinion.

I have to agree. My oldest is 5 and a year away from grammer school. In his private preschool (will a lot of help from my wife), he already knows his ABC, he can read Dr. Seus books, count to 100 and even do small math problems like 2+3 or 4+5 (counting on his fingers of course).

No, the blame lies with the teachers.

My kids are in a charter school. They have limited funds and are in a classroom for grades 1-3. They are far ahead of kids in other grades in standard public school in their reading and math proficiency, and we have all the gadgets. We just have a good system and good teachers who circumvent that.

That still doesn't put the blame on the teachers.
Charter schools typically do not have to follow the same rules and statutes that public schools must follow. Those rules and statutes for the most part are not contrived by the teachers but more so by elected officials School Board/state legislatures/US Congress ("No Child Left Behind" per example).
If the overseers of school policy were smart, they'd adopt the Charter School principles.
But again, it still comes down to good parenting to make sure the student studies at home.

Last edited:
I think it starts with the parents. Children whos parents show an interest and care about their education and who sit down every evening at dinner and talk with them about their day are going to do better in school. Unfortunately today, there are more single parent homes or families that don't take the time or literally might not have the time to do anything like that. Thats why money isn't making a difference in education. Its the lack of parental support and interest.

in Midwest.

LMAO!! The teachers received the good grades, so why punish them? You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. Without some draconian social changes in America, children will refuse to learn. By your own admission 1/3rd can read proficiently, so it isn't the teachers.:clap2::clap2:

i'm tired of hearing about fat lazy tenured teachers barely able to fog up the mirror. if the good teacher's aren't willing to give up the shitty ones, then fire them all.

Forum List

Back