CDZ Two-Thirds of Americans Want U.S. to Join Climate Change Pact

Fishlore

Silver Member
Aug 25, 2011
New Hampshire USA
A solid majority of Americans say the United States should join an international treaty to limit the impact of global warming, but on this and other climate-related questions, opinion divides sharply along partisan lines, according to the latest New York Times/CBS News poll.

Two-thirds of Americans support the United States joining a binding international agreement to curb growth of greenhouse gas emissions, but a slim majority of Republicans remain opposed, the poll found. Sixty-three percent of Americans — including a bare majority of Republicans — said they would support domestic policy limiting carbon emissions from power plants.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/01/w...-change-republicans-democrats.html?ref=europe

I am all for rational and responsible ways to curb emissions and what-not but the rest is a fools party.

Obama does not need the GOP. He has the EPA. Congress and the GOP have essentially handed over all their power to the Prez.

Just worry about keeping the Oval Office and everything will be peachy keen.

I am all for rational and responsible ways to curb emissions and what-not but the rest is a fools party.

Not sure what you mean by "the rest," but what amazes me about the conversation is the assumption by some that efforts to provide clean air, clean water, and renewable resources to replace the inevitable End of Petroleum will somehow "mean we'll all have to give up our cars and end up eating bark and leaves." o_O

I don't get that one...

Global Warming was responsible for the PP Shooter, so yeah, we need to really take a look at it

I will never get over that climate change rally last year. The supporters left tons of trash everywhere and Gore rode off in his SUV to meet up with his private jet :lol:
FOOLS party

A solid majority of Americans say the United States should join an international treaty to limit the impact of global warming, but on this and other climate-related questions, opinion divides sharply along partisan lines, according to the latest New York Times/CBS News poll.

Two-thirds of Americans support the United States joining a binding international agreement to curb growth of greenhouse gas emissions, but a slim majority of Republicans remain opposed, the poll found. Sixty-three percent of Americans — including a bare majority of Republicans — said they would support domestic policy limiting carbon emissions from power plants.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/01/w...-change-republicans-democrats.html?ref=europe
Sure they do. NY Times. Pfffft. Tell you what, beg Hillary to run on that agenda.

Not sure what you mean by "the rest," but what amazes me about the conversation is the assumption by some that efforts to provide clean air, clean water, and renewable resources to replace the inevitable End of Petroleum will somehow "mean we'll all have to give up our cars and end up eating bark and leaves." o_O

I don't get that one...

There is no "inevitable End of Petroleum." Get over yourself and your ignorance.

Then there are the diversionary tactics.

"I don't accept your source because Reasons."
"Hey, let's talk about Hillary or Obama or Hillary and Obama or anything except the topic..."

I don't get that one...

There is no "inevitable End of Petroleum."

Evidence?

Then there are the diversionary tactics.

"I don't accept your source because Reasons."
"Hey, let's talk about Hillary or Obama or Hillary and Obama or anything except the topic..."
lol right? That reminds me of the Sierra Club telling cruz "you have to listen to people sometimes instead of facts" Or something to that effect

I don't get that one...

There is no "inevitable End of Petroleum." Get over yourself and your ignorance.
I saw on Nat Geo a few weeks ago that with our population and current trends, we would be going through enough resources for 3 planets in 100 years. I understand the Earth makes oil but damn lol

Frankly, I don't see what there is to be partisan about. What can possibly be the positive thing about doing nothing to lower the levels of carbon emissions on the only planet we know of capable of supporting life as we know it and that we have the ability to reach?

If/when we find an alternative, I might consider changing my mind, but until then, the one thing I'd like to see not changing quickly is the climate on Earth. That's probably the one thing on which I'm quite conservative and intend to remain that way.

I don't get that one...

I saw on Nat Geo a few weeks ago that with our population and current trends, we would be going through enough resources for 3 planets in 100 years. I understand the Earth makes oil but damn lol
Nat Geo is now run by LW kooks. Take everything they say with a grain of salt.

Mostly this is because, by and large, the population is as ignorant as bunch of dumb-fucking kindergartners getting the wool pulled over their eyes.

They don't understand how economics work, and they don't understand that the proposed fixes won't achieve shit.

Climate Change: The Standard Fixes Don’t Work
Climate Change: The Standard Fixes Don't Work

The standard fixes don’t work for several reasons:

1. In an oil-supply constrained world, if a few countries reduce their oil consumption, the big impact is to leave more oil for the countries that don’t. Oil price may drop a tiny amount, but on a world-wide basis, pretty much the same amount of oil will be extracted, and nearly all of it will be consumed.

2. Unless there is a high tax on imported products made with fossil fuels, the big impact of a carbon tax is to send manufacturing to countries without a carbon tax, such as China and India. These countries are likely to use a far higher proportion of coal in their manufacturing than OECD countries would, and this change will tend to increase world CO2 emissions. Such a change will also tend to raise the standard of living of citizens in the countries adding manufacturing, further raising emissions. This change will also tend to reduce the number of jobs available in OECD countries.

3. The only time when increasing natural gas usage will actually reduce carbon dioxide emissions is if it replaces coal consumption. Otherwise it adds to carbon emissions, but at a lower rate than other fossil fuels, relative to the energy provided.

4. Substitutes for oil, including renewable fuels, are ways of increasing consumption of coal and natural gas over what they would be in the absence of renewable fuels, because they act as add-ons to world oil supply, rather than as true substitutes for oil. Even in cases where they are theoretically more efficient, they still tend to raise carbon emissions in absolute terms, by raising the production of coal and natural gas needed to produce them.

5. Even using more biomass as fuel does not appear to be a solution. Recent work by noted scientists suggests that ramping up the use of biomass runs the risk of pushing the world past a climate change tipping point.

Forum List

Back