Two Spaces After A Period?

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
Despite what countless people seem to think, it’s “totally, completely, utterly, and inarguably wrong” to use two spaces after a period, writes Farhad Manjoo in Slate. It’s been the case since the early 20th century, but you wouldn't know it based on his readers ("In editing letters for my occasional tech-advice column, I've removed enough extra spaces to fill my forthcoming volume of melancholy epic poetry, The Emptiness Within") or his friends: When he asked a dinner party group consisting of doctors and computer programmers, "Everyone—everyone!—said it was proper to use two spaces." When he told them they were doing it wrong, they had one big question: Says who?

In one word: Typographers. It's a "canonical" rule of the profession, "in the same way that waiters know that the salad fork goes to the left of the dinner fork." So why do we insert spaces to our heart's delight? Blame manual typewriters, which used monospaced type—each letter was afforded the same amount of space. On those machines, two spaces after a period made things more readable. But nearly every font on the modern PC is proportional: an "I" gets less space than an "N," for example. Now, "adding two spaces after a period no longer enhances readability, typographers say. It diminishes it."

Please Stop Putting Two Spaces After a Period - It's a leftover practice from manual typewriters, writes Farhad Manjoo

Arrrgh! This is so wrong!

What say you?

Despite what countless people seem to think, it’s “totally, completely, utterly, and inarguably wrong” to use two spaces after a period, writes Farhad Manjoo in Slate. It’s been the case since the early 20th century, but you wouldn't know it based on his readers ("In editing letters for my occasional tech-advice column, I've removed enough extra spaces to fill my forthcoming volume of melancholy epic poetry, The Emptiness Within") or his friends: When he asked a dinner party group consisting of doctors and computer programmers, "Everyone—everyone!—said it was proper to use two spaces." When he told them they were doing it wrong, they had one big question: Says who?

In one word: Typographers. It's a "canonical" rule of the profession, "in the same way that waiters know that the salad fork goes to the left of the dinner fork." So why do we insert spaces to our heart's delight? Blame manual typewriters, which used monospaced type—each letter was afforded the same amount of space. On those machines, two spaces after a period made things more readable. But nearly every font on the modern PC is proportional: an "I" gets less space than an "N," for example. Now, "adding two spaces after a period no longer enhances readability, typographers say. It diminishes it."

Please Stop Putting Two Spaces After a Period - It's a leftover practice from manual typewriters, writes Farhad Manjoo

What say you?

He's lazy. Two spaces after a period enhances readability.

.Or perhaps at the begining of every sentance .That would be the best

This news is going to totally fuck up the day of some college kid who has a report due tomorrow that must be at least 2 pages long....they will have to add another sentence. Oh the humanity.

I disagree .

You're killing me here, Jeremy.

True story...I am dying just as fast as the English language.

Notherfuckking murderer!

die.jpg

I was told all through high school that the standard was two spaces. But that was 35 years ago.

However, if you use Microsloth word and use two spaces, the machine will underline the extra space as otiose.

What say you?

NEVER!!!!

I W I L L S P A C E T O M Y H E A R T S C O N T E N T ! ! ! !

Just sayin....:eusa_whistle:

So THERE!!!!

I plan to start using the "|" symbol at the end of my sentences|Then I don't need to use spaces|It makes it much more readable|

This news is going to totally fuck up the day of some college kid who has a report due tomorrow that must be at least 2 pages long....they will have to add another sentence. Oh the humanity.

Naw, college students still have the option of using two spaces after periods...as long as they do it consistently throughout the paper.

What say you?

It is a built in option in Word, and most other word processing programs. It is dying out, but if people want to make a fuss I will be glad to insert a double space just to annoy them. 'Nuff said.

Last edited:

What say you?

I always use 2 spaces after punctuation ending a sentence. The use of white space in paragraphs clarifies things. It's like a writing tool.

What say you?

It's not called a "period". It's universally known as a "full stop". Period.

What say you?

I say the writer has no friends.

What say you?

It's not called a "period". It's universally known as a "full stop". Period.

Why do you UK people insist on renaming everything?

LOL.

What say you?

OMG!!! The Sky is Falling!!! :lol: Whatever floats your boat. ;)

Forum List

Back