Two Obvious Steps Towards Fixing Government

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
Our political "leaders" have proven, over and over, that they can neither be trusted nor depended upon to do the right thing. We have seen politicians from both parties practice blatant hypocrisy and dishonesty, yet the sheep from both parties continue to forgive them. Either we choose to make government of the people, by the people and for the people, or we do not. Let's start with two simple but obvious steps:

Strict Term Limits
Professional politicians are not "special", as much as their sheep think they are. Because they are constantly running for re-election, they are swayed as much by money and influence as they are by their obligation to their constituents. The obvious way to end this travesty is to allow them one term and one term only - take the money completely out of the equation. And, by the way, no pensions for serving that term. So:

• President - One 6-year term
  • Senate - One 6-year term
  • House - One 3-year term

Balanced Budget Amendment
A Balanced Budget Amendment will force both parties and their sheep to justify every idea and piece of legislation. Both parties will need to explain to the American people why they want to do what they want to do. For example:

• Republicans will have to justify each cost-cutting and tax-cutting initiative because the effects of those initiatives - precisely who will be affected by the cuts and what that will look like for them - will be loud and clear.
  • Democrats will have to justify each new spending initiative because the effects of those initiatives - precisely how far taxes will have to be raised to pay for their programs and what programs will be negatively affected - will be loud and clear.

Either we get serious about controlling these people or we do not. We can choose to apologize for their lies and hypocrisy because they're from "our party" or we do not. We either take the money and influence out of politics or we do not.

We either put our foot down or we continue to take it. Our choice.

I might be persuaded that tyerm limited might be helpful.

I am completely not convinced that a balanced budget amendment is a good idea.

Imagine if you will what effect that might have had on the USA on December 8th 1941.

WE would NOT have been able to fight the war against Axis powers if we hadnb't been able to spend more than we brought in in taxes.

Still think a balanced budget amendment is a great idea?

Because they are constantly running for re-election, they are swayed as much by money and influence as they are by their obligation to their constituents. The obvious way to end this travesty is to allow them one term and one term only - take the money completely out of the equation.

Taking a few revolutions out of the revolving door doesn't remove money from the equation. And guaranteeing that no official is ever held accountable for his actions before the electorate does not reinforce the importance of elected officials' obligations to their constituents.

If you cut off the Democrats ability to spend money, they are out of business as a political party, no longer able to send their constituents to the polls with visions of bread and circuses dancing through their heads.

Sorry

I don't want anyone telling me who I can and who I cannot vote for. If I am happy with the representation I am getting, I do not want someone saying you have to replace him with one of these two inexperienced guys.

Anyone who has seen the disaster that the Tea Party Republicans have been can understand the folly of replacing just for the sake of replacing

Forum List

Back