Two kinds of sinners

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
There are two kinds of sinners in this world, those that attempt to lessen the burden of guilt with righteous aires and rabid condemnation of sin, and those that attempt to lessen the same burden by convincing themselves that their particular vices are not sinful.

:booze:

"airs"

And you're wrong about sinners. Sinners are people who commit sins, i.e., violate any of the 10 commandments.

What you describe is a scoffer's opinion of two types of believers.

Seriously, Mani, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I don't think you're a racist at all. If you didn't want people's opinions on your Jewish joke, you should never have started the thread.

• Banned
:rofl:

I am racist though. Just not the bad kind. :D

And seriously...rest easy, I'm not mad at you in the least.

• Banned
"airs"

And you're wrong about sinners. Sinners are people who commit sins, i.e., violate any of the 10 commandments.

What you describe is a scoffer's opinion of two types of believers.

I appreciate the feedback. However, to place my comment in a religious context is to miss the point.

There are two kinds of sinners in this world, those that attempt to lessen the burden of guilt with righteous aires and rabid condemnation of sin, and those that attempt to lessen the same burden by convincing themselves that their particular vices are not sinful.

:booze:

dude, pass that bottle, huh? just what are you trying to confess here?

Isn't is a sin only if you KNOW it's wrong, and go ahead and do it anyway?

Nope. A sin is a sin. A sin can be thinking something that is a violation of the ten commandments. But you don't have to know it's a sin for it to be one. I don't think many people understand that coveting is a sin...but they're still sinning when they cast covetous eyes on the property of others.

Nope. A sin is a sin. A sin can be thinking something that is a violation of the ten commandments. But you don't have to know it's a sin for it to be one. I don't think many people understand that coveting is a sin...but they're still sinning when they cast covetous eyes on the property of others.

Damn! I want that hobbit picture in your avatar. I guess I'm going to hell.

I was thinking of that...I think covetnous is a little bit more than wistful thinking. It's sort of like the difference between admiring them and stalking them.

But what if I was never taught what a sin was? How can it still be a sin? How can I be breaking a "law" that I didn't know was a law?

FYI-Here are the 10 Commandments:

ONE: 'You shall have no other gods before Me.'

TWO: 'You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.'

THREE: 'You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.'

FOUR: 'Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.'

FIVE: 'Honor your father and your mother.'

SIX: 'You shall not murder.'

SEVEN: 'You shall not commit adultery.'

EIGHT: 'You shall not steal.'

NINE: 'You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.'

TEN: 'You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.'

I think most of us are 3/10 on here, don't you?

PS-I promise not to covet your donkey or your ox-really!

Last edited:
But what if I was never taught what a sin was? How can it still be a sin? How can I be breaking a "law" that I didn't know was a law?

FYI-Here are the 10 Commandments:

ONE: 'You shall have no other gods before Me.'

TWO: 'You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.'

THREE: 'You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.'

FOUR: 'Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.'

FIVE: 'Honor your father and your mother.'

SIX: 'You shall not murder.'

SEVEN: 'You shall not commit adultery.'

EIGHT: 'You shall not steal.'

NINE: 'You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.'

TEN: 'You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.'

I think most of us are 3/10 on here, don't you?

PS-I promise not to covet your donkey or your ox-really!

That's sort of whats always got me about religion. Can ignorance of the existance of such rules be wrong? And even though the christian faith urges followers to go out and teach the world about christ, and spread the faith to everyone; what about those who already believe in a different religion? Most people fall into the religion of their parents and grandparents and so on. So can christians really make the claim that a buddhist or muslim is automatically going to hell because they don't pray to Jesus? I just don't understand how you are expected to transform everyones beliefs, especially when they have already made up their minds.

Forum List

Back