two different approaches to combating the Zica virus

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
The Brits have already developed a process where genetically altered mosquitoes would be released in the wild and mate with native mosquitoes producing sterile offspring. The CDC has yet to approve the process which has already proven to be 90% successful. Meanwhile the U.S. has issued grants to universities that promise to develop a vaccine in seven to ten years. Which way should we go?

I'd say both, because in cutting down the rainforests in Brazil, you've taken away the habitat of the critters that eat the mosquitoes, so population control is an issue.

And making a vaccine that is effective in combating the virus is just good sense, kinda like making sure we have enough flu vaccine to get the country through the winter, they should cure it and have enough on hand in case another outbreak happens.

The Brits have already developed a process where genetically altered mosquitoes would be released in the wild and mate with native mosquitoes producing sterile offspring. The CDC has yet to approve the process which has already proven to be 90% successful. Meanwhile the U.S. has issued grants to universities that promise to develop a vaccine in seven to ten years. Which way should we go?

Both

Agree to work on both. If there is an issue with wiping out a species of mosquito, the scientists can save some samples species in the lab. And if it is necessary and safe to bring back this species in the future, they can repopulate later.

dude, why would they need a vaccine in seven to ten years if they make them all sterile? I don't get it.

dude, why would they need a vaccine in seven to ten years if they make them all sterile? I don't get it.

Because there is a chance that the virus could resurface on a different mosquito vector after that particular species of mosquito is gone.

And.............there might be some that survive, so you've gotta be prepared.

Because there is a chance that the virus could resurface on a different mosquito vector after that particular species of mosquito is gone.

another post by someone that doesn't get vaccinations. If in seven to ten years there is no more virus, where would a mosquito get it from if they are immune? You all use no logic at all.

Meanwhile the Brits would be killing the mosquitoes allegedly responsible for the disease while the feds would be keeping some university professors in new model Lexus seats. The problem for federal grants is that you know in your heart that the universities will keep the money rolling in and there is little accountability. You could compound the problem if the CDC decided to protect certain social deviates by claiming that the disease was primarily transmitted by insects while it is apparently also transmitted by sexual contact.

Last edited:

another post by someone that doesn't get vaccinations. If in seven to ten years there is no more virus, where would a mosquito get it from if they are immune? You all use no logic at all.

Actually, the VA provides my vaccinations, thank you very much. And, apparently, you didn't read the OP, because it said that it would make them sterile, but only for one species of mosquito. I stated that the virus could possibly move to another vector in another species of mosquito, so it is best to be prepared.

How could you be positive that you got every mosquito in Brazil? You can't, so being prepared (yes, at one time I was a Boy Scout) just makes sense.

Actually, the VA provides my vaccinations, thank you very much. And, apparently, you didn't read the OP, because it said that it would make them sterile, but only for one species of mosquito. I stated that the virus could possibly move to another vector in another species of mosquito, so it is best to be prepared.

How could you be positive that you got every mosquito in Brazil? You can't, so being prepared (yes, at one time I was a Boy Scout) just makes sense.
Funny, there is so much unknown about this virus. It was first isolated in 1947. Now it's a health problem? I'm still calling bullshit on the virus doing what is reported. I would like to see evidence of tissue samples that proved positive off of a baby.

one question, if the virus has been around for 69 years, why is it only now it affects pregnant women?

Brazil has been using tons of pesticides over the last few years and perhaps it is a pesticide side effect rather than a mosquito bite that lasts eight days.

And, Microcephaly in babies has been and is present in the US, at the tune of 25K of babies a year.

quote:
"Neurology 2009 Sep 15; 73(11) 887-897; Report of the Quality Standards Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology and the Practice Committee of the Child Neurology Society.

“Microcephaly may result from any insult that disturbs early brain growth…Annually, approximately 25,000 infants in the United States will be diagnosed with microcephaly…”"

I am a doubting Thomas. Sorry, it's my nature. I need evidence and there is absolutely none. Just Brazil promoting the scare. And they are using pesticides like crazy.

here from a Reuters piece:

Race for Zika vaccine gathers momentum as virus spreads

"Companies and scientists are racing to create a Zika vaccine as concern grows over the mosquito-borne virus that has been linked to severe birth defects and is spreading quickly through the Americas.

Zika is now present in 23 countries and territories in the Americas. Brazil, the hardest-hit country, has reported around 3,700 cases of the devastating birth defect called microcephaly that are strongly suspected to be related to Zika."

With the West Nile virus or the Encephalitis virus in the USA, there are non-human hosts for it, birds.

With the ebola virus in Africa, there are non-human hosts for it, fruit bats.

Eliminating those diseases in humans does not eliminate the disease from the wild, therefore it can stage comebacks from the wild into the human population.

It's likely the Zika virus works the same way, since the recent wave of human infections kind of popped out of nowhere.

With the West Nile virus or the Encephalitis virus in the USA, there are non-human hosts for it, birds.

With the ebola virus in Africa, there are non-human hosts for it, fruit bats.

Eliminating those diseases in humans does not eliminate the disease from the wild, therefore it can stage comebacks from the wild into the human population.

It's likely the Zika virus works the same way, since the recent wave of human infections kind of popped out of nowhere.
well zika has been around for 69 years, why has it taken so long to get to the stage of a vaccination? why in all that time didn't babies have small heads? Oh wait, they have at the rate of 25K a year in the US. Not a one pointed to the zika virus. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm do universities need funding, cash, yep, and there is one way, make up a need. And much of the population bites. That is hilarious.

an update from jon rappaport blog on zika

Zika: the essence of the hoax: analysis

"This second report was just presented by Dr. Sandra Mattos. See: “Microcephaly in northeastern Brazil: a review of 16,208 births between 2012 and 2015” and this news report: “Brazil’s Pre-Zika Microcephaly Cases”.

She and her team studied the birth records of babies born in the northeastern state of Paraiba, and found between 2,000 and 4,000 cases of microcephaly per year, since 2012. The biggest spike in cases was in 2014. The number of the most severe cases has increased since the last part of 2015.

If Dr. Mattos’ report is accurate, then there is a significant microcephaly problem in the northeast of Brazil.

Why the difference between her figures and the Brazilian health authority’s estimate, so far, of only 404 confirmed cases of microcephaly in the whole country? Answer: unknown.

Apparently, until now, Brazil hasn’t been focused on counting cases of microcephaly."

there is some investigating that I believe is necessary, just my opinion, but this information seems to indicate a lot of questions that don't line up.

I'd say both, because in cutting down the rainforests in Brazil, you've taken away the habitat of the critters that eat the mosquitoes, so population control is an issue.

And making a vaccine that is effective in combating the virus is just good sense, kinda like making sure we have enough flu vaccine to get the country through the winter, they should cure it and have enough on hand in case another outbreak happens.
????? Really, and how does that explain the mosquito population in the state of Rio Janiero? Where the disease is?

well zika has been around for 69 years, why has it taken so long to get to the stage of a vaccination?

Because it never made a big breakout to the human population before, therefore it wasn't a significant issue.
This is a big breakout? How so?
right. there is only three years of data from the lady in Brazil, and the virus has been around for 69 years. hmmmmmm.. good sample size to make such a prediction eh? LOl more fk'd up from a libturd.

BTW, the Brazilians first said 3 to 4 thousand had contracted the virus and had to cut that total back to 400. Ouch, not very graceful.

This is a big breakout? How so?

Zika virus outbreak (2015–present) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

---
before the 2007 Yap Islands Zika virus outbreak, only 14 cases of human Zika virus disease had been documented
---

Current estimated cases: 1.6 million. Bit of an increase, eh?

Oh, as I live to serve, I'll help you out by giving you a conspiracy theory to settle on, one that links Zika conspiracy theories to anti-GMO conspiracy theories.

The Anti-GMO Doctors Behind False Monsanto Microcephaly Link
---
“Larvicide Manufactured By Monsanto Partner, Not Zika Virus, True Cause Of Brazil’s Microcephaly Outbreak: Doctors,” declared a Tech Times headline (the headline has since been changed). “Argentine physicians claim Monsanto larvicide is true cause of microcephaly,” read the title of an Examiner piece.
---

New Topics

Forum List

Back