two book recommendations

Sep 12, 2008
I finished two books today that I have been working on for a while.

The first is Terry Pratchet's "Science of Discworld" which is an interesting way of dealing with modern cosmology that will answer all kinds of hard questions. It is generally not available here, but you can get it through Amazon. My copy came from Canada.

It is very entertaining and it deals with the why and how of life on earth, how it is very strange that it arose, and the really miserable reality of what the planet earth has been for most of its existence.

It is also a very refreshing look at how people look at reality through the lens of their own narratives, which both poisons and helps inform our understanding.

The other one is "New Ideas from Dead Economists" which is a re examination of the most famous names in economics, and what they have to teach us today. He gives us really interesting biographies as well.

These book really need to be read in tandem, partly because they complement each other so well, and partly because they cover similar episitilogical ground. Quite often, the obvious is wrong.

Both of them are worth the time and the effort. They really do a lot of brain bending.

Forum List

Back